The stupid questions thread.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
It exists because lots of people find meaning in it. As far as I can see, the western world is the only place that discounts religion to myth, probably because we now find meaning in science. The rest of the world is highly 'spiritual' and seems to value experiences, whereas, in industrialised countries, knowledge and intellect reign supreme. We all place meaning for existence and life on something, whether that be chance, God, Allah, Animism, etc.

So, religion exists because a large number of people find meaning in it. And you asked why it still exists because you were brought up in this culture.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
It exists because lots of people find meaning in it. As far as I can see, the western world is the only place that discounts religion to myth, probably because we now find meaning in science. The rest of the world is highly 'spiritual' and seems to value experiences, whereas, in industrialised countries, knowledge and intellect reign supreme. We all place meaning for existence and life on something, whether that be chance, God, Allah, Animism, etc.

So, religion exists because a large number of people find meaning in it. And you asked why it still exists because you were brought up in this culture.
I agree. You can still be a highly spiritual person without religion.

fairy1

Banned
[video=youtube;9Ks3Lu2zReU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ks3Lu2zReU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This is satire, right?
Unprotected sex, the people involved know the risks, I'd be shitty if I went to a festival and got run over by a wanker driving whilst recording video footage.

Is CW Christian Weekly?

The two homos on a bike bit was pretty funny.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was lucky enough to get a PM asking what bikes I own and what sort of riding I do on them.
Yeah, me too.

Ok, stupid question!

Is XCRider94 someone else playing an elaborate prank (with no obvious punchline), or is one kid actually that bored/mindless that they want to know the stable of every member on Farkin?

fairy1

Banned
Yeah, me too.

Ok, stupid question!

Is XCRider94 someone else playing an elaborate prank (with no obvious punchline), or is one kid actually that bored/mindless that they want to know the stable of every member on Farkin?
Could be a really smart thief, I told him what I own for laughs, wonder if he will have a where do you all live thread?

Elbo

I got the same PM's. I tried to help him by giving him some tips, but obviously it didn't help.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got the same PM's. I tried to help him by giving him some tips, but obviously it didn't help.
Yeah likewise.

I'm going with Fairy's theory - he's obviously part of an international group of bike thieves!

Elbo

If you told him to start as many stupid threads as possible it worked a treat.
:D I told him to lay low and stop PMing random people until he worked out why he wasn't getting the responses he was looking for… obviously this message was lost in translation somewhere along the line.

0psi

Eats Squid
So why are 'alternate' religions such as scientology, wicca, voodoo etc. laughed at? Surely the people of those religions find just as much comfort in their beliefs as the mainstream religions and there's no real evidence that supports any religion as the 'right' one, so who's to say the scientologists aren't on to something?

And it's more religion that I have issues with, faith not so much. I'm open to the possibilty that there's a higher power but as for religion, how can something that preaches love, forgiveness, understanding etc. be responsible for so much bloodshed?

J

JaRedy

I am christian, and I find that video embarassing. It's never a nice feeling to be accociated with the extremist types under the same name.

I get very frustrated by the "god hates us" and "homosexuals should die" messages some extreme christian groups preach. It's a selfish inteprepretation of the bible... e.g. one individual will hate homosexuals and so they will find a verse referring to it as being a sin (I dont know where it is mentioned so I cant give the verse) and they will use it to back up their own belief while ignoring the fact that it is written aundantly that we should not judge, and we should love others. Period.

Dont even get me started on the "got hates us" clan. This utterly confuses me beyond the point of even trying finding a possible answer to how they got this interpretation of the bible. These types of extrmenists are best left ignored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUFT35S7Jb4