Little Things You Hate

S.

ex offender
look, guys, in my opinion there's quacks on both sides of the divide. a couple of posts back i shared some of my personal far-less-than-satisfactory experiences with the medical profession. so far all i've heard from you lot is medicine=good, complementary therapies=garbage, with a lot of opinion and not a lot of fact.

they're called complementary therapies for a reason. now get over it. once upon a time surgeons were witch hunted, too.

i'm off tomorrow interstate for four days of racing and oldschool riding, catch y'all on the flipside.
A lot of opinion and not a lot of fact? You're the one claiming you have RESEARCH to back things up. I'm the one who posted up RESEARCH that absolutely contradicted your OPINION that homeopathy actually has some basis in reality.
"All I've heard from you lot is...."? Seriously? READ THE THREAD. Like actually look at the characters in each post, recognise them as components of a word, observe each word and its position in a sentence, apply your presumably intuitive understanding of grammar to the sentence to extract the meaning, then comprehend that meaning. Because what you will find, when you actually READ THE THREAD, is that you have been comprehensively PROVEN wrong several times, yet all you continue to do is claim that EVERYONE ELSE is solely stating opinion. What are your qualifications that you keep claiming to have? Where's the research? Why do you continue to insist that nobody is posting up FACTS when in actual FACT we have numerous citations of proper scientific research, not the namby pamby ludicrous bullshit that only the willfully delusional could possibly continue to defend? Nobody has said that alternative medicines IN GENERAL are bullshit, this discussion is about HOMEOPATHY and HOMEOPATHY ONLY. Stop acting like it's literally a witch hunt and get a grip on reality:

DILUTING WATER WITH MORE WATER WILL NOT CURE YOU OF ANYTHING EXCEPT HAVING TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS.

If the premise of dilution causing things to become MORE potent was even remotely true, heroin addicts wouldn't be killed by overdoses for starters - but maybe they might if they underdosed.... cos that lines up with reality right?

LTIH: when people simply will not admit when they're wrong despite the fact that it's plainly obvious to everybody.

darsh

Likes Dirt
electric horse- worst band ever, please go away
electric horse continuing to be support act to bands i love
electric horse must die

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
LTIH: when people simply will not admit when they're wrong despite the fact that it's plainly obvious to everybody.
This. But it's like a train wreck, you just can't look away. And eventually, you get desensitised to it and start laughing at the misfortune of others.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
look, guys, in my opinion there's quacks on both sides of the divide. a couple of posts back i shared some of my personal far-less-than-satisfactory experiences with the medical profession. so far all i've heard from you lot is medicine=good, complementary therapies=garbage, with a lot of opinion and not a lot of fact.
No, so far all you've heard is medicine = less than perfect but still more reliable than taking fucking sugar pills and hoping for the best.

they're called complementary therapies for a reason. now get over it.
As long as there are so-called professionals risking people's lives by recommending magic potions in place of actual medical treatment, no, I won't get over it.

once upon a time surgeons were witch hunted, too.
That's because superstition and mumbo jumbo was allowed to have precedence over empirically provable scientific techniques. Boy,. it sure is a good thing that doesn't happen any more, eh?

i'm off tomorrow interstate for four days of racing and oldschool riding, catch y'all on the flipside.
Enjoy your racing. If you break a bone, take a sugar pill, I'm sure it'll clear right up.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
If a substance/remedy had a scientifically proven, desirable side effect, Then it would be sold in a pharmacist. Simple as that.
Don't speak too soon; these magic potions are already being sold in some chemists overseas alongside actual medicine.

Arete

Likes Dirt
The proposed premise of homeopathy (like cures like, memory of water, increased dilution = stronger) requires our basic knowledge of physics, chemistry and biology to be wrong. Given homeopathy offers no alternative explanation for all our observation supporting basic physics, chemistry and biology, the logical, Occam's razor induced stance is that it is flawed. In support of this is the fact that it has suffered severe difficulty in proving it has more efficacy than a placebo - which renders it entirely dismissible with prejudice.

As for the bizarre interpretation of the concept of Primum non nocere and the suggestion that the fact medications sometimes have side effects is a violation of the Hippocratic oath: I sincerely hope that it is not news to anyone here that prescribed medications have side effects.

I currently work as part of team of scientists investigating Human African Trypanomiasis (HAT). HAT affects around 17 000 people per year in sub-Saharan Africa, although this is punctuated by outbreaks (300,000 in 1998, 48,000 in 2008). Left untreated it is effectively always fatal. Unfortunately the most widely available (and confirmed to be effective in both strains of the disease) drug to treat HAT is Melarsoprol - an arsenic deruvative which is highly dangerous in itself - approximately 8% of patients treated with Melarsoprol will die as a direct result of the toxic effects of the drug. If we applied the Shrieking Violet version of Primum non nocere we wouldn't treat anyone for HAT and an average of 15 000 people successfully treated for HAT would die every year.

We are investigating the genetic diversity of both pathogen (Trypanosoma brucei), vector (Glossina sp.) and co-symbionts (Wigglesworthia sp. and Wolbachia sp.) to model disease function, evolution and outbreak in an effort to understand, predict and ultimately prevent outbreaks through vaccine development, environmental measures, vector control and distribution of a new, safer drug for treatment being donated to the WHO by the multinational pharmaceutical company Sanofi-Aventis.

But you know, we're all just greedy, blood-sucking leeches who exist to drain your wallets and discredit all those honest homoepaths. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
People who say 'motherfucker' all the time... I don't mind swearing but I really hate this, do you even think about what comes out of your mouth?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Page 51 of the latest Australian Mountain Bike magazine has an ad for Colnago showing a 29er mountain bike over a ghosted outline of a road bike. The 29er has mud (more like chocolate topping) dripping off the base of the tyres and the text says "Take your Colnago off road". This is one example of why I detest the effin 29er craze. The roadie converts................I'm all for people testing the waters and giving mountain biking a go but don't tell me that your are faster on a 29er or say to me that you roll over the bumps better. You are still behind me by a long way on the trails and I'm not heaving my lungs out just to make sure I can see the guy in front take the next turn!

RCOH

Eats Squid
P but don't tell me that your are faster on a 29er or say to me that you roll over the bumps better. !
I am faster on a 29er AND I roll over bumps better.

You just got TOLD! :tape: ;)

LTIH: this rain in sydney - I just put togethe rmy first skateboard in about 7 years and it is persisting down!

S.

ex offender
The proposed premise of homeopathy (like cures like, memory of water, increased dilution = stronger) requires our basic knowledge of physics, chemistry and biology to be wrong. Given homeopathy offers no alternative explanation for all our observation supporting basic physics, chemistry and biology, the logical, Occam's razor induced stance is that it is flawed. In support of this is the fact that it has suffered severe difficulty in proving it has more efficacy than a placebo - which renders it entirely dismissible with prejudice.

As for the bizarre interpretation of the concept of Primum non nocere and the suggestion that the fact medications sometimes have side effects is a violation of the Hippocratic oath: I sincerely hope that it is not news to anyone here that prescribed medications have side effects.

I currently work as part of team of scientists investigating Human African Trypanomiasis (HAT). HAT affects around 17 000 people per year in sub-Saharan Africa, although this is punctuated by outbreaks (300,000 in 1998, 48,000 in 2008). Left untreated it is effectively always fatal. Unfortunately the most widely available (and confirmed to be effective in both strains of the disease) drug to treat HAT is Melarsoprol - an arsenic deruvative which is highly dangerous in itself - approximately 8% of patients treated with Melarsoprol will die as a direct result of the toxic effects of the drug. If we applied the Shrieking Violet version of Primum non nocere we wouldn't treat anyone for HAT and an average of 15 000 people successfully treated for HAT would die every year.

We are investigating the genetic diversity of both pathogen (Trypanosoma brucei), vector (Glossina sp.) and co-symbionts (Wigglesworthia sp. and Wolbachia sp.) to model disease function, evolution and outbreak in an effort to understand, predict and ultimately prevent outbreaks through vaccine development, environmental measures, vector control and distribution of a new, safer drug for treatment being donated to the WHO by the multinational pharmaceutical company Sanofi-Aventis.

But you know, we're all just greedy, blood-sucking leeches who exist to drain your wallets and discredit all those honest homoepaths. :rolleyes:
how-charlie-sheen-is-winning-with-tiger-blood.jpg