Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

shakes

Likes Dirt
I want to do something like gymnastics too but everywhere is only catering for kids or extreme athletes, doesn't seem to be much room for the average joe to join in. I want to use my body for something other then cycling and without fighting, strength gymnastics seems pretty interesting.
If you have the time check out Aikido. Especially if you dig philosophy type stuff. Something I really wish I could make the time for in my life.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i do a bit. im old now, but when i was younger i used to do a fair bit of BJJ. pure BJJ i find to be probably the hardest physical thing ive ever done. its been too long and my memory is not so good for it any more. the MMA stuff i do is pretty much BJJ with striking, or Vale Tudo.

if your after grappling specific drills, friends of mine who are far better than i am swear by this guys DVD's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4 . i dont have any personal experience with them but im wanting to give them a go.
Damn I was hoping we could exchange ideas. I'm just grappling with my mates once a week at the moment and my growth has stagnated a bit, which is mainly due to not searching for more knowledge. I'm going to get classes again soon as soon as I hand in all my overdue assignments. I'd much prefer kickboxing but bjj is a lot of fun and definately a different kind of fitness.

I want to do something like gymnastics too but everywhere is only catering for kids or extreme athletes, doesn't seem to be much room for the average joe to join in. I want to use my body for something other then cycling and without fighting, strength gymnastics seems pretty interesting.
I was lucky because I stumbled into a mate from school who does it. He said that they meet up twice a week and do whatever they feel like and then go to the beach and show off. He's from a bit of a circus background so I think he does juggling, etc. too. I did approach a gynasium ages ago when I was about 14 and was scared off by the same situation you describe. I'm sure there are groups out there, it's just a matter of finding them.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you have the time check out Aikido. Especially if you dig philosophy type stuff. Something I really wish I could make the time for in my life.
Hmm, Not exactly what I'm after but it looks pretty interesting! If I was to go down the fighting path I'd definitly be looking at a Japanese martial art. I dig that philosophy and the mental side of things.

Tell you what guys. I love this bulking thing. So much more fun then losing weight :p Pretty much eating everything in sight that's clean, hitting around 2500-3000cal. Is that a bowl of veggies? NOMNOMNOM- GROW haha

Oh yeh, LTIL: That feeling you get when you hit a PB, That tripped out feeling post-workout after using pre-workout supps.

One question, I'm currently creatine loading again and it tastes like aids. Feel sick afterwards. Am I supposed to be taking it with something? Not an issue on 5g a day but doing 20g a day it's like drinking sand.

Also, how to you track bulking* progress? Scales/tape/lifts?

*hate using the word bulking but its easier then saying, "training like my primary concern is adding muscle" lol.

Last edited:

shakes

Likes Dirt
Hmm, Not exactly what I'm after but it looks pretty interesting! If I was to go down the fighting path I'd definitly be looking at a Japanese martial art. I dig that philosophy and the mental side of things.
It's as low contact as most dancing with partner. There is no competitions. It is purely about weight transfer and body positioning. It amazes me that you can have your weight 70/30 foot to foot, and your partner falls in a heap, change it to 80/20 (nothing else) and they go flying across the room. Huge amounts of self awareness needed. Definately not everyones cup of tea - Have you looked into parkour?

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
One question, I'm currently creatine loading again and it tastes like aids. Feel sick afterwards. Am I supposed to be taking it with something? Not an issue on 5g a day but doing 20g a day it's like drinking sand.

fwiw, i have read in a few places that the loading phase of doing creatine is BS. i cant point you to any specific resources but maybee have a look, i think maybe bodybuilding.com had some articles on it. when i used it i never loaded with it and it worked fine for me. considering going back to it.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's as low contact as most dancing with partner. There is no competitions. It is purely about weight transfer and body positioning. It amazes me that you can have your weight 70/30 foot to foot, and your partner falls in a heap, change it to 80/20 (nothing else) and they go flying across the room. Huge amounts of self awareness needed. Definately not everyones cup of tea - Have you looked into parkour?
Yeh whilst I like that it's low/no contact, it's not really about strength and fitness and more about skill and training. I'd like something that tests me physically. Parkour looks pretty mad but I'd feel like such a dick running through the city haha

fwiw, i have read in a few places that the loading phase of doing creatine is BS. i cant point you to any specific resources but maybee have a look, i think maybe bodybuilding.com had some articles on it. when i used it i never loaded with it and it worked fine for me. considering going back to it.
I'm pretty sure the initial loading phase is still needed, i.e. 5-7 days at 20-30g and then from there you just take 5g a day forever. I've read cycling creatine isn't needed... can't seem to find the exact post though. Meh. I'm 3 days down, I'll just stick it out. Hopefully it's not so bad on "maintenance" levels.

I just keep forgetting to take it and feel like after not taking it for a week straight, I need to "load" again.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Managed to get an appointment with a physio this arvo, just curious about other people's experiences.
So I went to see the physio, hopefully the back is just a mild disk injury, although there's apparently a chance it could be something that I could neither pronounce nor remember, but fingers crossed.
Shoulder seems to be mild tendinitis, likely due to an imbalance between the primary muscles and the stabiliser muscles in that area. Some modification to the routines will hopefully help there.

Regardless, it looks like some more time away from proper exercise, which is pretty shit timing. Christmas time stuff makes it hard enough to keep at the routines, a few weeks off in the lead up sure won't help!

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty sure the initial loading phase is still needed, i.e. 5-7 days at 20-30g and then from there you just take 5g a day forever. I've read cycling creatine isn't needed... can't seem to find the exact post though. Meh. I'm 3 days down, I'll just stick it out. Hopefully it's not so bad on "maintenance" levels.

I just keep forgetting to take it and feel like after not taking it for a week straight, I need to "load" again.
General concesus these days seems to be 4 weeks on, 1-2 weeks off, no loading. 4-5g a day, for all 4 weeks.

Regardless, it looks like some more time away from proper exercise, which is pretty shit timing. Christmas time stuff makes it hard enough to keep at the routines, a few weeks off in the lead up sure won't help!
Tough break dude!

Plow King

Little bit.
Is it only me that watches the twinmuscleworkout channel on YouTube. Fuck me its funny and they seem to have their shit together

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Just busted my AC joint riding today, so according to the doc in the casualty I'm out for upwards of 8-10 weeks. I'm going to have a consult with an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow or Monday just to discuss the finer details of the recovery, although it is mainly a self-healing process and only time will ... yada yada yada.

I would officially like to take this opportunity to farewell all my summer goals. After 4 months I was only one 'projected' week (according to my current rate of improvement) from reaching them and it is almost taunting to see them unfinished.

So to all those out there who have suffered setbacks and injuries, is there anything you can do (or that you do) in the meanwhile to minimize losses and prevent progressing backwards as much as possible?

Also, anyone else who has done their AC joint, feel free to wish me well and share your recovery stories.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
stupid Xmas with stupid ppl bringing stupid chocolates to stupid work, then stupid me being stupid enough to eat them and derail my stupid diet plan

norcorulz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After fart assing around at home with my lack of weights, bit the bullet and signed up to the local gym again.....

One month in with a good mate as atraining partner im starting to get some decent progress.

Bascially a 3 day full body workout.

Bench: 80kg x 10
Squat (ass to grass): 100kg x 8
Deadlift: 120kg x 5 (do any more and your lnot lifting enough :biggrin:

Will be continuing with my full body workout for another 4 weeks or so. then will concentrate on a 4 day split. Lower the reps, jack up the weight!!!

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
stupid Xmas with stupid ppl bringing stupid chocolates to stupid work, then stupid me being stupid enough to eat them and derail my stupid diet plan
It's not that worrying eating bad every now and then. In the scheme of things, a blemish on a long term decent diet means absolutely nothing. I'm not saying your in this category, but I see a lot of people break their good diet routine once and then completely revert to old negative ways because of it. When people get the lifestyle of health and fitness down, they deserve to eat the occasional family bucket, block of chocolate, giant peanut butter cupcake made from reeces pieces, an entire packet of fizzers, 2L chocolate milk, "insert food vice".

So far this week my progress has been good; I've been supersetting pull ups and push ups and increasing in intensity daily (speed/pause duration/quantity). I might have a rest workout today and then bust out the dusty old squat rack. I've also been stretching everyday in the hope of improving my kama sutra skills.

Working out makes me super happy.

Would anyone be keen for a bodyweight competition? Maybe just a challenge each week and people can post a video that meets the challenge. As an example of the challenges each week;

-x amount of one armed push ups
-x amount of push ups with clap
- anything here http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/

It doesn't have to be this format but I think some sort of rivalry would be good for faster gains.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Tough break dude!
Yeah, not ideal, but hell it could be worse ( like a bung AC!)

Saw the physio again today, he seemed to like how the back is going, hoping it isn't major, and I should be ok to start riding again at least in a week or so. Shoulder I'm going to have to work back into it I think. He's given me some exercises to add to help strengthen my rotator cuff and such, and said if any of the other stuff I'm doing agrovates the shoulder, hold off for a few weeks until the stabilisers start to strengthen up.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's holiday season. It's time to implement a cool idea used on a few other websites. A fitness leader board! It's a great way to push yourself further to achieve the top spot on this list.

RULES:

First of all, no cheating obviously. No videos required but you only kidding yourself with fake numbers. This is aimed to create a little healthy competition and ultimately provide motivation for others to achieve there goals! Feel free to suggest more excercises. We need a cycling one, but I can't think of anything that is fair for everyone in different locations.

Most pushups:
Most traditional pushups. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push-up
Most pullups:
Most pullup repetitions without rest. A rest is when you let go of the bar, you can hang from the bar for as long as you want. Chin must get over the bar for 1 rep. Any grip or style can be used. Every rep must be from a dead hang without any swing.
Most dips:
Most dip repetitions performed without rest. A rest is when you let go of the bars. Arms must reach parallel to the ground for 1 rep.
100m Sprint:
100m Sprint.. easy enough.
100 Burpee challenge times:
Quickest time you can complete 100 successful burpees in. Bit hard to judge form but you should know what a correct burpee is. Try to do every single burpee with correct form. You can have as many breaks as you want, quickest to 100 wins.
Biggest Deadlift):
Most amount of weight deadlifted. Traditional deadlift only. Correct form must be used.
Biggest Bench:
Most amount of weight benched. Traditional bench press only. Bar must touch your chest to count.
Biggest Military Press:
Most amount of weight press overhead. A correct military press starts with the barbell at your chest, it is then pushed over the top of your head until arms are straight. Military presses must be performed standing up with feet together.
Biggest Squat:
Most amount of weight squated. This is for traditional back squats only. Front squats can be done if your training at home but please specify. A rep is not counted until your legs are parrallel to the ground.
Beep test:
Best Beep test scores. See THIS page for explaination on what it is and to download the MP3.
Most Muscle Ups:
See HERE for pullup variations and correct muscle up form. Muscle ups must be performed without any assistance, 1 muscle up is from a dead hang to a straight armed finish up top. Every rep must be from a dead hang without any swing.
Box Jump:
Vertical Jump. Jump as high as you can! Jump must be from a standstill, no run-up.
Distance Run 60m:
Run as far as you can in 60 minutes. Vertical climb is not factored in, this is purely distance over time.

There are two versions of each lift. Kg for Kg and Total. Kg for Kg is the most amount of weight lifted in comparison to bodyweight. Please specify how much you lifted and your weight any time that day. Total is simply the most amount of weight lifted regardless of how much you weigh.

Any suggestions on more excercises? Any bike specific ones that could work?

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RotorBurn_logo.jpg
Rotorburn Fitness Leaderboard
htmlimport_Sportivny_press_Logo.jpg

Most pushups:
Chalkie: 51
Plow King: 39
INRI: 36
Steve-0: 33
Madridingengineer: 32

Most pullups:
Chalkie: 21
Steve-0: 18
Madridingengineer: 17

Most dips:
Steve-0 & My02: 22
NCR600: 17
Plow King: 16
Madridingengineer: 15

Most muscle ups:
Madridingengineer: 4

Box Jump:
Madridingengineer: 111.7cm
INRI: 102.5cm

100m Sprint:

Distance Run 60m:

100 Burpee challenge times:
MRE: 7:00 (113 Burpees)
Steve-0: 9:23

Beep Test:
Madridingengineer: 14.2

Biggest Deadlift (Kg for Kg):
Madridingengineer: 175kg @ 72.5kg--- 2.413
Steve-0: 180kg @ 75.8kg--- 2.375
INRI: 147.7kg @ 65--- 2.269
@nDr3w: 180kg @ 88kg--- 2.045
Chalkie: 140kg @ 79kg--- 1.772
Clockworked: 170kg @ 108kg--- 1.574
NCR600: 187.5 @ 123kg--- 1.524

Biggest Bench (Kg for Kg):
Chalkie: 100kg @ 79kg - 1.266
@nDr3w: 110kg @ 88kg--- 1.25
My02: 140kg @ 114kg --- 1.228
Steve-0: 90kg @ 74.1kg--- 1.215
NCR600: 130kg @ 123kg--- 1.057
INRI: 67.5kg @ 65kg--- 1.038
Madridingengineer: 75kg @ 72.5kg--- 1.034
Clockworked: 105kg @ 108kg--- 0.972

Biggest Military Press (Kg for Kg):
Madridingengineer: 62.5kg @ 72.5kg--- 0.862
@nDr3w:70kg @ 88kg--- 0.795
Chalkie: 60kg @ 79kg - 0.759
My02: 82.5kg @ 113kg--- 0.730
Steve-0: 50kg @ 74.1kg--- 0.675
Clockworked: 65kg @ 108kg--- 0.602
NCR600: 62.5kg @ 123kg--- 0.508

Biggest Squat (Kg for Kg):
Chalkie: 140kg @ 79kg - 1.77
@nDr3w: 150kg @ 88kg--- 1.705
Steve-0: 120kg @ 75.5kg--- 1.589
INRI: 95kg @ 65kg--- 1.462
Madridingengineer:90kg @ 72.5kg--- 1.241
Clockworked: 130kg @ 108kg--- 1.204
NCR600: 130kg @ 123kg--- 1.057

Biggest Deadlift (Total):
NCR600: 187.5
@nDr3w & Steve-0: 180kg
Madridingengineer: 175kg
Clockworked: 170kg
INRI: 147.5kg
Chalkie: 140kg

Biggest Bench (Total):
My02: 140kg
NCR600: 130kg
@nDr3w: 110kg
Clockworked: 105kg
Chalkie: 100kg
Steve-0: 90kg
Madridingengineer & Plow king: 75kg
INRI: 67.5kg

Biggest Military Press (Total):
My02: 82.5kg
@nDr3w: 70kg
Clockworked: 65kg
Madridingengineer & NCR600: 62.5kg
Chalkie: 60kg
Steve-0: 50kg

Biggest Squat (Total):
@nDr3w: 150kg
Chalkie: 140kg
NCR600 & Chalkie & Clockworked: 130kg
Steve-0: 120kg
INRI: 95kg
Madridingengineer: 90kg

Last edited:

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
stevo, looks fun and think im gonna give it a go!!

bought a skipping rope today for something a bit different aswell.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
add muscleups to the list

distance run in 30/60/90 minutes? (personally i'd like to see 60)

highest box jump?

I just separated my shoulder a couple of weeks back so right now my aim is to do a single pushup and chinup by xmas, it'll be a long time before I'll be in a condition to have a crack at the leader board.

Prior to the injury I'd been having really good results with the kickboxing. Dropped two inches from my waist without any weight change and a massive increase in fitness. can't wait to get back into it!

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
add muscleups to the list

I just separated my shoulder a couple of weeks back so right now my aim is to do a single pushup and chinup by xmas, it'll be a long time before I'll be in a condition to have a crack at the leader board.
Done. Also added that every pull up and muscle up must be done from a dead hang. No swinging allowed.

Hope you heal quick Joel. Nothing worse then being fired up ready to go but held back by injury.