The stupid questions thread.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In my cupboards I have vodka, gin, cointreau, coconut rum, brandy, tequila, and hazelnut and coffee liqueurs. Anyone got any decent cocktail suggestions?

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
should of just shipped it back to Aus...
Apparently they can sometimes uncheck you, put you through customs and recheck you, but it was only a refuel stop where for some reason we had to disembark... and we only had an hour- not long enough.

In my cupboards I have vodka, gin, cointreau, coconut rum, brandy, tequila, and hazelnut and coffee liqueurs. Anyone got any decent cocktail suggestions?
Heaps, but you need mixers as well as bases!

Vodka + cointreau + cranberry: cosmo for example.

What flavors do you like?

My favourite summer drinks this season are: strawberry mojitos (strawberry, mint, lemon and white rum), anejo highball (cuban rum [bundy if you're desparate] with ginger beer, lime, bitters over ice), and fresh lemon type martinis :D
I also make like 20 strawberry daquiris in dinner service a night at the moment

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, try some twists on a basic collins (gin, lemon, soda) my two favourite are raspberry cucumber or raspberry mint.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hahah sure if there's an audience? Im lucky to be mentored by a psat judge of international cocktail competitions in europe so I learn alot :)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
POSM I heard liquid searches at dept gates were at the discretion of the carrier, not the country?
According to the Australian regulations, incoming international flights are not permitted to allow passengers to carry more than 100ml of liquid in carry-on luggage. Most airlines check, but some don't - I flew back from Vanuatu on Air Vanuatu earlier this year with a bottle of duty-free whisky and got through fine but I've been checked coming through both Bangkok and Singapore.

Officially you CAN take duty free if it's bought at your final stop and delivered to you at your boarding gate in a sealed bag but this is never clearly explained to passengers and no airport I've ever passed through has appeared to offer this service - with good reason: it's absolute bedlam in places like Changi, Suvarnabhumi and the like. The chances of you buying a couple of bottles and having them make their way to your gate in time for your departure along with everybody else's without getting lost or delayed are Buckley's!

For future reference I'd just buy your booze off the street and pack it securely in your checked luggage. Even with local tax, it'll usually work out a bit cheaper. For example: 2 x 700ml bottles of Laphroaig whisky can be bought from a supermarket in the UK for the same price ($80) as you'll pay for a 1L duty free bottle in Melbourne Airport and for another example, Thai Rum can't be bought here but if it could I seriously doubt it would be $7 per 750ml bottle like it is in 7/11 stores in Bangkok...

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think hach_bee should start, a drinks thread! I could use some knowledge

Forgot about this... http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ers-Bar-Staff-Thread!&highlight=drinks+thread or this http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?160881-Mixed-drinks/page2&highlight=drinks+thread

For future reference I'd just buy your booze off the street and pack it securely in your checked luggage. Even with local tax, it'll usually work out a bit cheaper. For example: 2 x 700ml bottles of Laphroaig whisky can be bought from a supermarket in the UK for the same price ($80) as you'll pay for a 1L duty free bottle in Melbourne Airport and for another example, Thai Rum can't be bought here but if it could I seriously doubt it would be $7 per 750ml bottle like it is in 7/11 stores in Bangkok...
Should have, we didn't anticipate our bags being checked the whole way either (on the way there we picked them up every stop). But the stuff I bought was harder to get on streets in Lima

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
As you van probably tell I am the biggest noob ever at this sort of thing, but -

I am looking for some speakers. Basically to plug into computer or ipod and play. Dont want too complicated. Just want something to sit on the desk. Wanting to pay around $100. Really just want something that will have better quality than my laptop speakers (really not difficult). Ideas? If it changes anything I listen to a bit of everything - rise against, nero, shad, knife party EVERYTHING. I dont discriminate.

Hew

Likes Dirt
As you van probably tell I am the biggest noob ever at this sort of thing, but -

I am looking for some speakers. Basically to plug into computer or ipod and play. Dont want too complicated. Just want something to sit on the desk. Wanting to pay around $100. Really just want something that will have better quality than my laptop speakers (really not difficult). Ideas? If it changes anything I listen to a bit of everything - rise against, nero, shad, knife party EVERYTHING. I dont discriminate.
Dude can't go past logitech's simple 5.1 system.

You can pick them up for about $150 OR if you shop around most places have older versions for about 50-75 bucks.

Honestly for the money you can't beat it.

EDIT: LIKE A BOSS

taquar

Likes Dirt
Dude can't go past logitech's simple 5.1 system.

You can pick them up for about $150 OR if you shop around most places have older versions for about 50-75 bucks.

Honestly for the money you can't beat it.

EDIT: LIKE A BOSS
I would advise against getting these speakers in particular. While Logitech speakers definitely are great, these ones have had a number of problems, mainly with there being a constant hissing sound coming from them when plugged in and turned on. I went through 2 sets of them before giving up and returning them and just forgetting about them.

The older versions are a much better option, while they are older, they pack one hell of a punch. If all you want them for is music/computer stuff, go for a simpler 2.1 set.

Just my 2c.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Goto a local hi-fi store and salvage and old 50w+ stereo (2 channel) amp and some speakers. It may blow your budget a little bit but soo much better than cheap computer speakers. Connect with a 3.5mm to RCA connector (Should cost you no more than $5 or scab one of those "red white yellow" cables and an adapter from dick smith...)

moorey

call me Mia
Sectioned gear cabler...Grrrrr!!!
Is there anything other than a drillbit stopping me from drilling out the cable guides on my older bikes, and running full length outers? Sick of the limited lifespan on this stuff, especially where it runs on my older Epic. Its a magnet for water, mud and gunk contaminating the cables. Anyone else done this, of alternatively, Just ran the full length outers NOT through the guides, and Zippy tied the cables to the frame instead?