Does iPhone 5 eat dicks?

moorey

call me Mia
I'm due for an upgrade, happy with the IPhone 4, but not convinced about the 5.
Looks flimsy, big, and stupid. I carry my 4 in my pocket everywhere, including on the bike, have stacked on it, dropped it and generally abused it. It's only fault is the home button is giving up, and the assistive touch it less convenient than the home button. Such first world problems. I here there are kids in Somalia still using iPhone 3's.
Whos made the change or using one? Is the size noticeable?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Can't comment on the size but people I know have issues with the functioning, they have problems recieving messages another has really bad battery, they got it replaced and they still only get like 4hours. The new iso6 is supposably really crappy too, I haven't used it but I'm not upgrading my 4S with it.

These could of course be isolated but The fact they are all friends and know each other too isn't confidence inspiring.

moorey

call me Mia
I have also avoided the ios6 upgrade. Among other things, pretty happy with google maps. :yell:

Staunch

Eats Squid
My dad recently got the 5 and hates it. The battery lasts about half a day and he's constantly having issues with dropped calls and other connection problems. I wouldn't even consider it, if you're going to dish out for a fancy new phone look elsewhere for sure. Makes me glad I went with a HTC instead, ahah

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dunno. I have 4S, with ios6 and am bulk happy with this. Mine is cased in an OtterBox - makes it large - but still fits in my shorts pocket or jersey pocket. Has never let me down. Unlike my 3GS which the home button died and it annoyed the shit out of me.

I don't mine the new maps. Navigation in the car is now awesome if you don't mind getting lost every now and then. It talks now and uses TomTom maps. me like.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Sorry to bushwack the dick eating thread ...
galaxy SIII ... my first smart phone ... and I can't believe how it has changed how I do things ... my only complaint is the optus network sux wang where I live.

secondly, data ... really is there anybody that even gets close to 2GB on their phone in a month ?? My plan has 5 and stuffed if I get anywhere near it and we use the phone heaps. I've become a real antisocial ... even surf the net whilst walking across the street ... can't even hear the horns

Shredden

Knows his goats
secondly, data ... really is there anybody that even gets close to 2GB on their phone in a month ?? My plan has 5 and stuffed if I get anywhere near it and we use the phone heaps. I've become a real antisocial ... even surf the net whilst walking across the street ... can't even hear the horns
I have 4gb, and go over it. The wifi on my phone is fucked so I have to use 3G at all times. Which sucks because we have 3tb at home...

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i have the new 5 and i love it. i do, however, always keep my phones in a protective case(s) so the 5 doesn't feel much different in the hand than my 4 did. i'm very impressed with the screen clarity and video capability, and the sound - i use my iphone for storing lectures and music as well as e-books, my calendars, pretty much everything in fact.

it's hooked into the wifi at home so i'll browse on it a fair bit too. i haven't had any issues with dropped calls or missed messages so far other than occasionally my OH won't get an MMS i send. that could be his phone or service provider? i'm not sure.

i have noticed that the battery life is a little poor tho.

and yes, Willsy, i did. i've also got a backup on the Macbook. do you think battery issues may be due to the backing up? how would that work?

markb84

Likes Dirt
I have the 4s and iOS6 and am pretty happy, I also have friends with the 5 and they're happy.

Whichever phone you buy from teh current market you'll have some great features and some annoyances, the Smartphone market has come a long way but is no where near perfection yet.

Android - Really pushes the envelope on what you can do but the phones are only compatible with the current latest greatest firmware version for 6 months then you need new hardware in order to take advantage of the new features available.

iOS - Reliable interface, does most things pretty well, has a few dodgy things like the new maps (I'm not an android user but surely they aren't flawless?!?) your phone will most liekly be able to use new firmware and features for a good 2-3 years (3Gs case in point) and the app store is sooo much better than google marketplace

Windows Phone - Let's face it, this isn't considered to be a major contender currently but is coming along pretty well, I know a couple of people with them that absolutely love them, don't be suprised if they're a force to reckon with in a year or two.

The way I see it, if you're a bit of a tech head and can work around problems then Android will probably work well for you, if you're not overly confident with technology and you want something simple and consistent to use, iOS is the choice to go with. My grandad is 90 and never used a computer but has just got an iPad and is used to it already.

Hardware wise, the latest of any of the major smartphone manufacturers will do you proud, Samsung, Apple, HTC, etc, they're all making cutting edge technology.

Despite everyone protesting I'll probably stick with the iPhone for a while, it works well enough for me, integrates with my macbook and my wife's iPhone, I have apple TV at home and it's cool being able to instantly put my photos or music onto the bigscreen.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
I have to say I do love apple but I hate the compatibility, like its all good as long as you use their products or have everything nicely working but once you change one thing its a pain in the ass to fix it. itunes and multiply phones is a pain. bluetooth.....miss the days when you could just transfer to any phone.
I love apple but its clearly just a way for them to surround your life with apple to avoid incompatibility. And why change the iphone 5 charger adapter......

I'm someone who likes to have their stuff separate yet easily accessible I hate the way apple tries to pack everything into one place.

Also Iv never being a fan of Mac im still a PC user :)

That said i do enjoy that apple OS is less susceptible to viruses, im sure this will change as time goes on. I would really love for apple to release a anti virus i don't care how good they think they are prevention is better than cure.

Ivan

Eats Squid
For such an expensive phone, it should be nothing less than perfect. The Galaxy S3 can be had for $300 less than the iPhone 5. Its a no brainer.

So the short answer is yes. :bounce:

Last edited:

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I'm up for a new phone at the end of the month, I'll be purchasing the Lumia 920 as soon as its available.
Android has never really 'clicked' for me, but at the same time I consider Apple the height of evil and refuse to buy their garbage. (also the OS is impractical for me).

I currently own a N8 which is a good phone (not necissarily a good smart phone) but the Nokia side of it is great - great connectivity, great screen, great GPS, great camera.
If the Lumia is half as tough as it then it'll physically outlive its technical validity. My N8 has survived being dropped in a camp fire, water, crashing with MTB and snowboard and drops from all heights on many occasions. Screen ain't even hinting at damage.

Had a doodle on a Lumia in a Telstra shop the other day and it destroys the S3 I've been using for the last few days. OS very much 'click's for me. All subject to personal taste of course.

Perhaps just another phone to consider.