The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I never liked san andreas...or proflexes either...but thats me

and yeah the postage, cost me $630 for fedex to post my xizang, then another $200 odd in taxes when it arrived... the worst thing about buying from the US, my zaskar was $80ish from wiggle

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and yeah the postage, cost me $630 for fedex to post my xizang, then another $200 odd in taxes when it arrived... the worst thing about buying from the US, my zaskar was $80ish from wiggle
Dual suspension frames cost normaly cost me $75US. You just have to convince someone to unbolt the rear end and pack into the dead space in the box.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ha maybe if the xizang was cut up i wouldn't have the BB problem... must get back to that now i have more hacksaw blades

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh $600 seems very excessive, ive never gone over $100 for getting frames in the past.
Try shipito.com which is a freight forwarder type of arrangement. they get good prices on express shipping, all you have to do is get your seller to send it to your own address (which shipito creates for you), then pay for the shipping to Aus to Shipito.com and then its on its way.
They give you a few options of shipping, and theres a calculator as well so you can find out before you buy the item easily.
This is probably the easiest way ive found, especially for sellers who arent too clued up with all the different shipping options or dont want to post overseas.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah in the future I'd be looking for cheaper, but at the time, I wanted fast and I didn't care about the costs

Wazza3

Squid
This Giant ATX 910 was given to me not long ago by a family friend who owned it since new. It is beautiful to ride and feels solid.

Bike.jpgBike1.jpg

Mammy

Likes Dirt
Yeh $600 seems very excessive, ive never gone over $100 for getting frames in the past.
You're seriously comparing a 5-day shipping service for a full bike in a package weighing almost 50lbs to a frame-only shipping rate?
Getting frames from the US for $100 isn't the hardest thing to do.
My Cannondale Super V and Gary Fisher Ziggurat framesets came well under that.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
didn't look through ever page, sorry if its been up before but i think john tomac deserves some pics on here, mental bitch doing drops and whips with drop bars

johnny_drop_jump.jpg

no idea if this it tomac or not but this lad is proper mental!

0001-4c5bff7b-50ca8b84-400d-ff207ad7.jpg

cowma

Likes Bikes
This Giant ATX 910 was given to me not long ago by a family friend who owned it since new. It is beautiful to ride and feels solid.

View attachment 254032View attachment 254033
I had an ATX980 as my first proper mountain bike. I also had those CTR travel plates and it was a good bike but a word of warning. Mine had dual crown forks (RST Hi5's) on it and the head tube ended up coming straight off. It snapped off while pushing back up the track but I had just finished a run so was pretty lucky. Might pay the to keep an eye on the head tube area if you are riding it regularly

floody

Wheel size expert
Some forks arrived in the mail so I gave the LTS a more serious mock up, its now rideable, but I'm waiting for some ebay/forumpurchases (M900 front derailleur, Magura rim brakes, Judy SL) to arrive to complete it how I want it. Probably will lace up some XM317s onto my 90s GT hubs later on and replace the Rhynolite/M570 LX wheelset in it now.

I rode it around the block, most things work well, pedals nicely, brake jack is a bit odd, forks felt surprisingly good, however the rear shock is totally knackered, has no damping at all.
Getting closer anyway!

OH! OH! I have also bought a '98 STS-DH frame, along with its original AC crankset and chainguide. I am super stoked, but now I need to find a functioning Boxxer Pro, Boxxer 151, or Judy DHO for it which will be hard.

:D

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How to remove a BB from a xizang in 1 horrible step

Now to order the headset and break out the polishing cloth

floody

Wheel size expert
I've got access to some XLs locally, but I will be chasing a Judy DHO or Boxxer for sure as I just purchased a pair of near-new 'GT Super High End CNC' hubs for it (GT logos, made by Hadley), so I need one of the early 20mm axle forks.

Mik,
In the words of Molly Meldrum 'Do yourself a favour' and go down to supercheap, grab a mothers powerball and/or powercone, I'm thinking the mothers powermetal polish I used on the LTS would be fine too.