The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just picked up a Marin Pine Mountain, I think it's about '93 - 94. Any big Marin fans out there can tell me, the spec is no help as it's very different from the US.
Pics to come shortly. Suffice to say she's matte black with fluoro orange bars and highlights.

Craig66

Squid
Mmmm, very nice. I will be in the market for a LTS (or STS :dance:) once I've finished the wife's Zaskar.
She won't allow two projects in the house! :nono:

Last edited:

Craig66

Squid
Yep, been watching that one Mammy, I need it to be a 16" (Like the one Fatman sold to Floody :sad:).
I'm waiting for a response from the ad, but I should really finish my other project first.

Mammy

Likes Dirt
Fuck me dead, those ball-burnished GTs scrub up well with a bit of Autosol.
Spent an hour or two polishing up the Missus' Zaskar, looks like new!

floody

Wheel size expert
Awesome Orange, Angrybadger!

Paging fatman! I picked this '96 LTS-2 up from fatman a couple of months back now. I wanted something to hang my growing collection of 'rider' condition vintage stuff off. I also bought a '96 Avalanche about the same time, with a '96 Judy SL, but Toll Ipec have lost that one. Hopefully it will eventually turn up so I can use the fork in this.

As received, a bit oxidised and had some heavy bikerack scars in the TT

After some fun times with the mothers powerball and powermetal polish it looks like this:

I mocked up most of the bits I will use, XT M737/XTR M900 mix, of course the maguras will be complete (I'm refinishing the calipers of one set at the moment), will have a headset etc. Still need a front derailleur (M900 XTR or M737 XT 31.8 bottom pull) and a fork as the Mach 5 sitting in it is stuffed (one pushrod broke off at the footbolt....anyone got a Judy DH/SL or Mach 5 parts donor for me?). Also building another pair of wheels with silver XM317 rims and Hadley-GT rear, XT 737 front hubs.

Last edited:

Mammy

Likes Dirt
The San Andreas from Ebay arrived last Tuesday. Spent some time putting this thing back together today, and
besides from the cracked MRP nylon roller and disintegrating rubber stops on the Boxxer, this beast is showroom mint.
Not one scratch, scuff or blemish. Even with $900 shipping + custom/quarantine, I consider it a bargain.

rone

Eats Squid
The San Andreas from Ebay arrived last Tuesday. Spent some time putting this thing back together today, and
besides from the cracked MRP nylon roller and disintegrating rubber stops on the Boxxer, this beast is showroom mint.
Not one scratch, scuff or blemish. Even with $900 shipping + custom/quarantine, I consider it a bargain.

I'm sorry, for a moment there I thought you said $900 shipping!

Love the San Andreas. Had 2, wished I'd kept them. Enjoy.

Mammy

Likes Dirt
Thanks, will definitely enjoy it. Have always wanted one back in the day.
Shipping via bikeflights.com (which is essentially FedEx) cost $600. They wanted to charge $1350 for the one bike but splitting it into two boxes made the difference.