The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

evil_duffman

Likes Dirt
Hey

Hey guys loving the retro builds going on.

Is anyone interested in a Mongoose IBOC Team?

I have the frame, fork and XT headset all original.
From what I can find it's a 1989 Tange cro-mo tubing Handcrafted beast. Size could be an XL (measures 22in from bb to centre of top tube)
It's in pretty good condition for it's age, no dents or cracks. Paint and decals are still good a few scratches and cable rub, but nothing serious.
If you have long legs and looking for a vintage build let me know.

I would be keen to trade it for another vintage frame of similar style in a large size.
or open for offers of all types. looking for a project I can use.

I'll get pics up soon or can sms.
Cheers.

looks a bit like this:
IBOC.jpg

mtb1611

Seymour
I've actually got quite a few early-mid 90's components at home that have literally been sitting in a box since......the mid-90's! I've got LX 8-speed Rapidfire shifters, LX cantis, a 1 1/8 inch Answer ATAC stem and Dia-Compe levers amongst other things. I'll take a look when I get home and let you guys know what's in the hopper.

floody

Wheel size expert
I've actually got quite a few early-mid 90's components at home that have literally been sitting in a box since......the mid-90's! I've got LX 8-speed Rapidfire shifters, LX cantis, a 1 1/8 inch Answer ATAC stem and Dia-Compe levers amongst other things. I'll take a look when I get home and let you guys know what's in the hopper.
All of this is relevant to my interests!

You sir/madam/etc have PM.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if Floody hasn't got in first, what the deal with the atac (length/rise/colour/quill-ahead)

Last edited:

heavyp

You heard it here first
FRIG how did I miss thats Schwinn gutted! oh well maybe one day. Im selling a pair of original hope bulbs if anyones interested there in the for sale forum

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I had an ATX980 as my first proper mountain bike. I also had those CTR travel plates and it was a good bike but a word of warning. Mine had dual crown forks (RST Hi5's) on it and the head tube ended up coming straight off. It snapped off while pushing back up the track but I had just finished a run so was pretty lucky. Might pay the to keep an eye on the head tube area if you are riding it regularly
My first race bike was a ATX 970, which had the Cro mo front triangle, and aluminium rear triangle..i ran rst mozo pro's (4.5 in travel) with no issues, cause of the give in the steel.
back when aluminium was just starting to be used in mass produced bikes and frames, they used to gussett the shit out of every tube join,and then weld it all up like an ocean liner, making for a very stiff frame with little or no give for torsional flex, thus causing lots of snapped frames and collar bones!
these days ,some manufacturers will gussett under down tube/head tube join,and the top tube/ head tube join, but not weld the rear part of the gusset piece, this allows the aluminium to "stretch" without cracking the welds around it.
Whoa...I think i just had a turning moment:nerd:

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another GT Rescue - 1987 GT Outpost

Yes it's another GT, a pre triple triangle Outpost. Japanese Ishiwata tubing, shimano 100GS shifters and 200GS biopace cranks.
She's going to need a fair bit of work but I didn't have one of these in the collection. From when GT first entered the mountain bike fray after dominating BMX.

1987 GT Outpost 2.jpg1987 GT Outpost.jpg

ChopSticks

Banned
Yes it's another GT, a pre triple triangle Outpost. Japanese Ishiwata tubing, shimano 100GS shifters and 200GS biopace cranks.
She's going to need a fair bit of work but I didn't have one of these in the collection. From when GT first entered the mountain bike fray after dominating BMX.

View attachment 257221View attachment 257222
LOL

how many GT's does this one make?

god i feel like a kid.... this bike is 3 years my senior