The Photo Snob Thread

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Haven't taken the DSLR out for a while, but I took this photo at Yass on my Blackberry a while ago. Was pretty pleased with it. Would've looked good on anything though, was an amazing scene with perfect light.
615245_365455110213213_2046032088_o.jpg

sunlei

Cannon Fodder
I also just got a Pentax film SLR, with 2 lenses (25-80, 75-300) & am looking to try & improve my photography skills a bit, so this thread is handy.

Here are a couple of pics from my first roll of film:

very good pictures.:juggle:

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Forgot about this place! I have an exam tomorrow, which is probably why I remembered it now...

I was planning to travel but things keep falling through so now I'm looking to (finally) update my gear. Considering a Nikon D600 with a 24-70. The D800 is tasty but an overkill for what I need, and the 24-70 seems like a beautiful workhorse while I save for some primes.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on the D600 and lens suggestions? If something pops up and I can't stretch my budget to the 24-70 what else would you suggest?

And lastly, if you see any good deals (more than happy to buy second-hand) let me know!

Will post up some shots soon.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Forgot about this place! I have an exam tomorrow, which is probably why I remembered it now...

I was planning to travel but things keep falling through so now I'm looking to (finally) update my gear. Considering a Nikon D600 with a 24-70. The D800 is tasty but an overkill for what I need, and the 24-70 seems like a beautiful workhorse while I save for some primes.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on the D600 and lens suggestions?

And lastly, if you see any good deals (more than happy to buy second-hand) let me know!

****Quietly sits back with drink waiting for Angus's answer to this question.****

I'm not a Nikon user but I understand that their 24-70 would be a solid choice.

Since he already has mine, that might be easiest :dance:
**Uses Jedi Mind Trick**
You don't need to see his photos! These are the photos you're looking for!

Staunch

Eats Squid
I know I don't post in here much (need to change that) but I was thinking, it's been a while since the last PAD. Any reason there hasn't been one for so long? Time for another one perhaps?

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on the D600 and lens suggestions? If something pops up and I can't stretch my budget to the 24-70 what else would you suggest?

While there is nothing wrong with a 24-70, having owned one and now moved to primes, I'd say you're better off getting primes first - even cheaper ones.

How much is a nikon 2470? like $2k? for $2k you could get a sigma 35 (900), sigma 50 (400) and a sigma 85 (750 ish). The lenses absolutely kill the 24-70. One thing I noticed when using the 24-70 is that I almost always favoured 24, 35, 50 or 70mm. Why not just get primes?

SRSLY. Life is better at 1.4.

Also I hear the d600 is excellent.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
While there is nothing wrong with a 24-70, having owned one and now moved to primes, I'd say you're better off getting primes first - even cheaper ones.

How much is a nikon 2470? like $2k? for $2k you could get a sigma 35 (900), sigma 50 (400) and a sigma 85 (750 ish). The lenses absolutely kill the 24-70. One thing I noticed when using the 24-70 is that I almost always favoured 24, 35, 50 or 70mm. Why not just get primes?

SRSLY. Life is better at 1.4.

Also I hear the d600 is excellent.
Callan, I know the added benefits to prime lenses, but if someone wants a "work horse", those benefits go out the window don't they? **genuine question**

mitchy_

Llama calmer
it depends on what you shoot, but personally i'd prefer prime lenses to supplement zoom lenses.

i've got a 24-70 2.8, and 70-200 2.8... now i've just purchased a 50 1.4 as i know there will be some opportunities where i don't need zoom and have plenty of time to compose. i couldn't do without the 24-70 though! it's such a versatile lens.

wombat

Lives in a hole
One thing I noticed when using the 24-70 is that I almost always favoured 24, 35, 50 or 70mm. Why not just get primes?
Because in the time it takes you to find the 24 in your bag, remove the 50, fit the 24 and stash the 50 somewhere, you might have missed the shot. That, and you've been carrying four times as many lenses.

That said, in hindsight I probably could have gotten by on my trip with a ~24mm prime, rather than the 24-70; most of the shots I ended up liking were taken pretty wide.

Horses for different folks I guess.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Because in the time it takes you to find the 24 in your bag, remove the 50, fit the 24 and stash the 50 somewhere, you might have missed the shot. That, and you've been carrying four times as many lenses.
To be honest, if you had asked me when I owned the 24-70, id agree. But now I couldn't disagree more.

I regularly shoot weddings, plenty with just one body and a few prime lenses. I've honestly never been in a situation where I thought to myself "shit, I've missed that shot because I couldn't change lens in time".

Each to their own, this is just my opinion. Why not get primes?

It's not hard to carry 2 or 3 extra lenses, the 2470 is ridiculously heavy and bulky anyway.

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
I'm another one that has gone the way of Primes. Once I can afford a few more of them i'll be buying them over zooms without hesitation. Both the Canon and Sigma brands are in a league of their own when it comes to image clarity and sharpness, however Sigma does have a bit of an edge over Canon with the sharpness.