The Photo Snob Thread

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, some pretty good deals on little stuff, filters, 'pods etc. Don't really know how the bigger ticket items stack up. Go pro prices seem sharp though.

Also saw someone, maybe teds, with k01 bodies for $220. Man, was that experiment a failure!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Acrylic mounting

Guys,

Looking at mounting some photos onto acrylic panels. I just checked my favorite place for printing services Digitalworks, but they don't appear to do them. Anyone know who can do them, Melbourne and Sydney?

Cheers

Hux

wombat

Lives in a hole
Guys,

Looking at mounting some photos onto acrylic panels. I just checked my favorite place for printing services Digitalworks, but they don't appear to do them. Anyone know who can do them, Melbourne and Sydney?

Cheers

Hux
What's the reason behind the acrylic? Would foamcore be a viable alternative?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
What's the reason behind the acrylic? Would foamcore be a viable alternative?
To be honest, I'm not familiar with the foamcore mounting. We're looking at acrylic because we saw some images mounted on it.
I'm about to check out the foamcore now.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Guys,

Cheers

Hux
acrylic is a nice look its personal opinion thou im looking at one right now on the wall at a friends house, most images are mounted on to foamcore anyways, some are mounted and framed and some are just left on the foamcore to hang on the wall but it looks quite cheap if you ask me.

Im not to sure about framing places in these citys but they would have the best places in oz thats for sure, I get my film developed at a place called vision labs easily the best in oz they have fineart options and framing could be worth a look.

Depending on where you live thou id say search as getting stuff framed and sent cant end in tears

http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/

wombat

Lives in a hole
To be honest, I'm not familiar with the foamcore mounting. We're looking at acrylic because we saw some images mounted on it.
I'm about to check out the foamcore now.
Depends what you need it for really, but I've used foamcore plenty for presentation boards. Never actually used it for photos myself, but I've seen prints on it and they looked pretty good. On the upside, it's light, plenty rigid for hanging and cheap. The thicker board presents pretty well too. I'll probably get some of mine printed and mounted on it when I get around to it.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
acrylic is a nice look its personal opinion thou im looking at one right now on the wall at a friends house, most images are mounted on to foamcore anyways, some are mounted and framed and some are just left on the foamcore to hang on the wall but it looks quite cheap if you ask me.

Im not to sure about framing places in these citys but they would have the best places in oz thats for sure, I get my film developed at a place called vision labs easily the best in oz they have fineart options and framing could be worth a look.

Depending on where you live thou id say search as getting stuff framed and sent cant end in tears

http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/
If you're English, how come your English is so poor?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Thanks Shayne and heavyp. I'm sure I have some paraphernalia lying around at home that advertises these services.
My cousins flat man has a massive glass mount that looks amazing yet is freakin heavy. I got the idea from a gallery in Manly called Saltmotion who mount most of their work on acrylic and it looks amazing.

heavyp

You heard it here first
If you're English, how come your English is so poor?
Laziness Callan, I've been living in Australia to long.

I only try if I'm emailing clients.

Ps: It was also friday arvo (sorry afternoon) and I was sitting in a swimming pool on the gold coast with an empty 6 pack next to me.

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Laziness Callan, I've been living in Australia to long.

I only try if I'm emailing clients.

Ps: It was also friday arvo (sorry afternoon) and I was sitting in a swimming pool on the gold coast with an empty 6 pack next to me.
Too*

Haha. It's good to see you can actually sound like a reasonably educated person when you want to. My respect for you just went up one point. To one.

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

recently got my 5d Mark 3, perfect timing before just heading up to Noosa!
Here is my favourite snap of the trip.

Noosa by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

It looks the best in full screen so here is the link for that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewbensonphotos/8599171191/sizes/l/in/photostream/
Not a bad shot Andrew, I only have two gripes about this image..

1. Straighten your horizon! haha

2. The main rock which is obviously the focus of the photo is a little too central in the image for my liking (Entirely personal)

May I suggest a lower POV next time and emphasize those leading lines to the rock a lot more to really draw the eye through the image.
Also maybe speed up your shutter a bit more to emphasize the movement in the water, at its current state it has no direction, rather it just swirls around in a cloud like manner (again entirely personal).

That being said, good balance of exposure of the scene. :)

mitchy_

Llama calmer
oooh, another of my expensive hobbies...
here is some of my recent stuff.

edit - just realised it's not a picture thread, will find where i should put them!

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
oooh, another of my expensive hobbies...
here is some of my recent stuff.

edit - just realised it's not a picture thread, will find where i should put them!
Nah man, chuck some up in here that's fine. Just not hundreds and we're all good.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Nah man, chuck some up in here that's fine. Just not hundreds and we're all good.
sweet. :)

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM
Focal Length: 70 mm
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.008 sec (1/125)
ISO: 100

Focal Length: 105 mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.003 sec (1/320)
ISO: 100

Lens: EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Focal Length: 48 mm
Aperture: f/3.2
Exposure Time: 0.017 sec (1/60)
ISO: 400

Focal Length: 175 mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.005 sec (1/200)
ISO: 640

Focal Length: 54 mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.006 sec (1/160)
ISO: 200

Focal Length: 32 mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.017 sec (1/60)
ISO: 400

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

recently got my 5d Mark 3, perfect timing before just heading up to Noosa!
Here is my favourite snap of the trip.

Noosa by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

This is very nice man, only one thing for me, I'd like to see if you were able to move the camera lower to the left, mainly to try and create stronger lead in lines with those rocks in the foreground.

Tu Plang, what does the colour one look like? love the feel to that image.

It's been a while, but here's a few from me:

Last edited:

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are some amazing shots here in just this page!

Quick question for a rookie, how do you get that nice flat/blurry texture in the water near the rocks Unlearn?

I'm assuming that it's a longish shutter time, but do you have to have specific wave energy or something?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
This is very nice man, only one thing for me, I'd like to see if you were able to move the camera lower to the left, mainly to try and create stronger lead in lines with those rocks in the foreground.

Tu Plang, what does the colour one look like? love the feel to that image.
LOVE your second photo!