Confessions from the fuckwits

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Today I set my wheels up tubeless for the first time. Took me around an hour and a half. Only to relise my tyres are on backwards. Pure fuckwitery.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
last day of holiday before heading home on friday, race out the door for quick ride before dark in thredbo. unlock bike chain, throw key in the pack, or was it in my pocket? get back, lock up bike, forget about things. Next morning family is ready to go, car is packed, bike remains locked in place cos I can't find the key. an hour and one set of boltcutters later, we're finally on our way

moorey

call me Mia
Similar fuckwittery here.
About 20 years ago, pre-mobile days, I'll note, I had arranged a first date with a lovely young lady. She was a nurse at the western hospital in Melbourne. Plan was to take her out to dinner when she finished at 6pm.
I wanted to impress, and I used to own numerous classic cars, so I polished up my 64 xm falcon coupe, grabbed the club lock out of the HR premier, and drove to Melbourne from ballarat where I was living. Had 2 hours to kill so I drove to the other side of the city to see a mate first. At about 5pm, decided to hear to pick up hot date, jumped in the car.....and realized the keys to the club lock were on the HR keyring in ballarat. FUCK!!
Called the RACV, who took 45 min to arrive, looked at it and said they wouldn't remove the lock without proof of ownership and the police present.
Its now 6am, and one likely lass would be out front of the hossie waiting. Found a public phone, tried to call but no one there was prepared to hunt her down and let her know I was running late.
With hardware stores now closed and my mate with no tools, I had to ring a mate on the other side of city to come with a hacksaw. He took 90 minutes to get there, and after bluntening 4 blades and not making a mark on the club lock, I had to do the unthinkable and cut the mint original futura steering wheel and bend it out enough to get club lock off, cracking the plastic /resin or whatever the wheel was covered in.
By now, it's after 8pm, and the drive took 45 minutes to get to the hospital, where a "slightly miffed" young lady was amazingly still waiting. It's an icy drive to her home in Richmond, not much said, but being reminded I had ruined my steering wheel, which was cutting my hands and tearing my shirt while driving.
Oddly, she didn't feel like coming to dinner with me, despite being very hungry.....women, sheesh, who understands them....so I dropped her home and drove back to ballarat with bleeding hands.

Fast forward 20 years and many equally shamefully acts of fuckwittery from me, and we're still married.

WHO'S THE FUCKWIT NOW, HUH????:pound:

Bodin

GMBC
Fast forward 20 years and many equally shamefully acts of fuckwittery from me, and we're still married.
More importantly, what about the car you fucking ruined? How did you go with getting the steering wheel fixed/replaced?

moorey

call me Mia
More importantly, what about the car you fucking ruined? How did you go with getting the steering wheel fixed/replaced?
I couldn't get another original one at the time (pre mobile AND pre internets era). Taped it up and drove it like that for 18 months, like a knife in my guts every time I drove it, then sold it to a collector. :behindsofa:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Similar fuckwittery here.
About 20 years ago, pre-mobile days, I'll note, I had arranged a first date with a lovely young lady. She was a nurse at the western hospital in Melbourne. Plan was to take her out to dinner when she finished at 6pm.
I wanted to impress, and I used to own numerous classic cars, so I polished up my 64 xm falcon coupe, grabbed the club lock out of the HR premier, and drove to Melbourne from ballarat where I was living. Had 2 hours to kill so I drove to the other side of the city to see a mate first. At about 5pm, decided to hear to pick up hot date, jumped in the car.....and realized the keys to the club lock were on the HR keyring in ballarat. FUCK!!
Called the RACV, who took 45 min to arrive, looked at it and said they wouldn't remove the lock without proof of ownership and the police present.
Its now 6am, and one likely lass would be out front of the hossie waiting. Found a public phone, tried to call but no one there was prepared to hunt her down and let her know I was running late.
With hardware stores now closed and my mate with no tools, I had to ring a mate on the other side of city to come with a hacksaw. He took 90 minutes to get there, and after bluntening 4 blades and not making a mark on the club lock, I had to do the unthinkable and cut the mint original futura steering wheel and bend it out enough to get club lock off, cracking the plastic /resin or whatever the wheel was covered in.
By now, it's after 8pm, and the drive took 45 minutes to get to the hospital, where a "slightly miffed" young lady was amazingly still waiting. It's an icy drive to her home in Richmond, not much said, but being reminded I had ruined my steering wheel, which was cutting my hands and tearing my shirt while driving.
Oddly, she didn't feel like coming to dinner with me, despite being very hungry.....women, sheesh, who understands them....so I dropped her home and drove back to ballarat with bleeding hands.

WHO'S THE FUCKWIT NOW, HUH????:pound:
Oh moorey, that is woeful

I sold my 1965 XP futura hardtop (coupe) for $100 cash. Not a scratch on it.
It was given to me for an 18th birthday present. But I wasn't into cars, I was into metallica.
So I sold it for $100 (all original, mint interior, 3 on the tree) so I could buy metallica cassettes, some guitar strings and a gram of hooch.
That is one regret / fuckwittery I will never live down.

Kids, don't do drugs. (Or metallica post black album)

So not only am I a f*ckwit, but an unappreciative and stupid one. That was 20 years ago.

Just like this, but white with whitewall tyres.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
O.
M.
F.
G.

You, Sir, are winning this thread. By a considerable margin. It's like Black Caviar just lined up against a family of pygmy donkeys.
Thank you. It comes naturally. haha

But keep in mind, $100 20 years ago is like.... $120 today.

moorey

call me Mia
Oh moorey, that is woeful

I sold my 1965 XP futura hardtop (coupe) for $100 cash. Not a scratch on it.
It was given to me for an 18th birthday present. But I wasn't into cars, I was into metallica.
So I sold it for $100 (all original, mint interior, 3 on the tree) so I could buy metallica cassettes, some guitar strings and a gram of hooch.
That is one regret / fuckwittery I will never live down.

Kids, don't do drugs. (Or metallica post black album)

So not only am I a f*ckwit, but an unappreciative and stupid one. That was 20 years ago.

Just like this, but white with whitewall tyres.

I sold mine for $8000, and it was straight and original, but far from mint. Mind you, that was about 18 years ago....I'm sure the price jumped the year after you sold yours.
You, sir, are dead to me. :smow:

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Thank you. It comes naturally. haha

But keep in mind, $100 20 years ago is like.... $120 today.
I'm with Bodin. I have a couple of 'wish I never sold that car' stories relating to HR's (sigh, saw a really straight one the other day), but NOTHING in that league!!!
I bet the bloke who bought it still goes to the pub every night just so he can tell the story... 'Yeah, he was just this young bloke, had no idea whatsoever... $100!!! I could hardly keep a straight face!' etc etc etc...

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I sold mine for $8000, and it was straight and original, but far from mint. Mind you, that was about 18 years ago....I'm sure the price jumped the year after you sold yours.
You, sir, are dead to me. :smow:
I know. I had no idea at the time.
Car were cars to me. It could have been a datsun 120y and I would have asked the same price. No idea whatsoever.

It was only once I sold it that I got a phone call from a guy called Nick TRahanus (son of famous photographer Olegas actually) who got wind that I was selling it (he was the mechanic who had looked after it for the last 20 years) and he offered me $1,600 just for the motor.
When I told him I sold it, and for $100 he didn't believe me, until he did believe me, and then he swore and yelled at me over the phone.

He told me it was the best original specc'd straight 6 in Tassie (didn't know what that meant at the time) and he had serviced it annually for the last 20 years and it had only ever driven from west hobart to newtown for the weekly shop.
It was owned by a little old lady in west hobart who never took it over 50kph, and it lived it's life out of the sun in the garage only to be polished once a month by her husband.
Hence why the interior and exterior finish were immaculate.

Don't worry moorey, when I read this story, I am dead to me too.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I bet the bloke who bought it still goes to the pub every night just so he can tell the story... 'Yeah, he was just this young bloke, had no idea whatsoever... $100!!! I could hardly keep a straight face!' etc etc etc...
Actually... It gets worse. I sold it to a girl from school. She drove it into the ground in about six months and nearly destroyed it and then it got stolen from her.
I have seen it a few times since and whoever stole it off her has taken very good care of it and it looks fantastic.
It still gets around Hobart to this day like a ghostly reminder of my fuckwittery.
Next time I see it I'll snap a pic and post it all up.
You will cry.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm with Bodin. I have a couple of 'wish I never sold that car' stories relating to HR's (sigh, saw a really straight one the other day), but NOTHING in that league!!!
Because I can't help myself, I wooda been all, "$100!.... I dunno...I can go up to $70...."

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve been trolling this thread for a while keeping my fuckwittery to myself but I thought I would share one instance of pure fuckwittery that occurred yesterday…

I was going to service my Forks and Shock this weekend before the upcoming VES Round 2 next weekend; unable to find my shock pump I figured I’d give my forks, and rear shock some love with some silicone lube prior to going for a ride at the You Yangs in the afternoon…. So give the forks a spray and cycle them a few times all sweet, jump on my bike and ride out to the You Yangs which is approx. 5kms from my house (I live near the bakery in Lara for those that know it). Feeling good I was hoping to punch out 50 or 60kms of trail goodness…

Until I pull up at the gate on Sandy Creek Rd with an all mighty screeeeeeeech! This fuckwit forgot to clean the excess lube which ran down my forks and contaminated my pads and rotor!!!

Needless to say the ride back down Forest Rd towards Lara was a long and frustrating one!

On the positive my home mechanic skills saved the day in the end and now she stops better than ever… BBQ Brake Pads anyone :p

moorey

call me Mia
Actually... It gets worse. I sold it to a girl from school. She drove it into the ground in about six months and nearly destroyed it and then it got stolen from her.
I have seen it a few times since and whoever stole it off her has taken very good care of it and it looks fantastic.
It still gets around Hobart to this day like a ghostly reminder of my fuckwittery.
Next time I see it I'll snap a pic and post it all up.
You will cry.
Heres my bad boy:
IMG_1615.JPG

And the HR prem i had at the same time:

IMG_1616.JPG

And the 3 door FC wagonette I had at the same time (2 doors of drivers side, one on passengers side)

IMG_1617.JPG
And my half resored 39 chev master deluxe ute I had in the shed:

IMG_1618.JPG

Fuck I miss having disposable cash:frusty: