The Single Speed Thread

Boxer

Likes Dirt
You guys have finally convinced me to try the club! Been looking and considering for couple months now and something I liked came up.

This should be on its way to me next week:

$T2eC16RHJF0FFZ0TG7ojBR,k9nZR9!~~60_57.jpg

will get better pics once in my shed, I just hope I can ride single speed!

disappearin

Likes Dirt
Is that the ned overland limited edition model? I tried to get hold of one but couldn't find it in my size. Only 150 worldwide! Ended up building a stumpjumper SS instead.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Wild colour scheme Boxer !

Love the irony of the current owner running a cadence sensor on a single speed .... Like you can do anything about it !

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice Ned! Wish I had one.:pout:

Btw, ditch the seatpost clamp. They're crap (if they're the same as the regular Carve's...and it looks like it)

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Is that the ned overland limited edition model? I tried to get hold of one but couldn't find it in my size. Only 150 worldwide! Ended up building a stumpjumper SS instead.
Yes, Ned limited, called Spesh in Oz, they are aware of only two coming in officially to Aust.:noidea:

Wild colour scheme Boxer !

Love the irony of the current owner running a cadence sensor on a single speed .... Like you can do anything about it !
I had a chuckle too, hence its arriving sans the cadence sensor

Nice Ned! Wish I had one.:pout:

Btw, ditch the seatpost clamp. They're crap (if they're the same as the regular Carve's...and it looks like it)
Thanks for the tip - so I'm guessing it slips? any idea if I'm going to want a titanium seatpost for this thing being used to carbon HT's (are they a harsh frame)

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the tip - so I'm guessing it slips? any idea if I'm going to want a titanium seatpost for this thing being used to carbon HT's (are they a harsh frame)
I started with a cheap Ti post on mine, but had problems with the seat clamp and the seat post clamp. Others have bent the QR on the original clamp trying to get them tight enough. Sure, it's a stiff frame and now I run a Easton EC70 carbon CNT post with Hope bolt on clamp (I grease the outside of the seat tube where the clamp resides but not the seat post in the seat tube). The Hope does well enough, but I've also heard good things about those slim carbon clamps (can't remember the name just yet).

edit. Carbocage is the name of the clamp http://www.carbocage.com/

Last edited:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, Ned limited, called Spesh in Oz, they are aware of only two coming in officially to Aust.:noidea:
I think there were 3 brought in. I know the owner of one of them, and I think the one you bought was nearly bought by my mate a little while ago. It was suggested that the owner wasn't aware of the significance of this bike, hence maybe the cadence sensor.

camoshop

Banned
http://s65.photobucket.com/user/Arr...9-14656-000002A2A5A6BE65_zpsa3f3f73b.jpg.html

• Tange Prestige Cr-mo frame w/Tange/IRD sliding dropouts
    M970 XTR cranks w/ceramic B/B
    DXR 34/18 sprockets
    DA7900 10sp chain
    M540 pedals
    M975 XTR disc brakes w/Controltech blue hydro hoses
    eXotic alloy triple crown fork
    XT hubs built to WTB Frequency i23 rims with DT Competition spokes & alloy nipples
    Kenda Karma 650x2.0 tyres & Kenda 650b tubes
    King h/s w/Gub featherweight spacers
    Zipp Service Course stem
    Custom Ti bars, 700 x 31.8 w/6 deg sweep
    Custom Ti pillar
    Custom Ti skewers (windups)
    Specialized Ti saddle
really nice build mate. bike envy

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Hmmm

I've finished building my 1x9 SIR9. I purchased this frame in particular for its Steel bounce, & it's SS compatibility.

So, I've done a bunch of research, but I can't find out one thing...

Belchambers was running 36:19 in a 24hr a few years ago. Why 36? What's the advantage of a larger front ring? I have a 35t & 32t chainring I use on my 1x9.

droctagon

Likes Dirt
I've finished building my 1x9 SIR9. I purchased this frame in particular for its Steel bounce, & it's SS compatibility.

Belchambers was running 36:19 in a 24hr a few years ago. Why 36? What's the advantage of a larger front ring? I have a 35t & 32t chainring I use on my 1x9.
You would think a smaller chainring would be better for clearance etc, but maybe he enjoys greater drivetrain longevity with the larger combo? Or maybe like many SS'ers, he'd chewed all his kit and it was all he had laying around in his parts bin?
I run a 33:17 combo, and have done for a few years, I often wonder if I'd get greater chain and freewheel life if I stepped it up a few teeth?
With pistons like Belchambers, I'm sure he'd destroy drivetrains.

wombat

Lives in a hole
In addition to the wear issue, the bigger gears require less chain link movement and should increase efficiency.

disappearin

Likes Dirt

I ran a 32/19 at the 24hr solo nationals at stromlo earlier this year on my 29er. Most of the other ss'ers i spoke to were running similar or easier gearing up to a 32/22.
A 36/19 is a tough gear on a 29er but if anyone could ride it, bellchambers could.
Maybe he was on a 26in bike?

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Maybe he was on a 26in bike?
The only proof I have is this picture. Some funny blokes put this pic up around the course during the race. This was the 2010 race... 26 or 29? I don't know.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_qr-1krWUXqc/TLGFiBdKJTI/AAAAAAAAE_w/Ip01pCFbd6o/s640/IMG_0095.JPG

I still think my original question is valid regardless. I was leaning towards the 32t front ring as its easier (cheaper?) to get 32t replacements. Keep the 35t for road ridin' when the rain won't go away.

droctagon

Likes Dirt
The only proof I have is this picture. Some funny blokes put this pic up around the course during the race. This was the 2010 race... 26 or 29? I don't know.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_qr-1krWUXqc/TLGFiBdKJTI/AAAAAAAAE_w/Ip01pCFbd6o/s640/IMG_0095.JPG

I still think my original question is valid regardless. I was leaning towards the 32t front ring as its easier (cheaper?) to get 32t replacements. Keep the 35t for road ridin' when the rain won't go away.
That's definitely a 29'er there.

Regardless of what/why he was riding that combo, I think if you run a larger ring up front (like a 36t), then if you have a rear hub with cassette style interchangeable rear SS sprockets (like a Hope Pro 2 Trials, or King etc.) then you have more room to move when switching down at the rear for commuting/training for a harder ratio, without having to drop down to low, (past 17t or 16t is harder on chains, less teeth engaged with the sprocket under power etc).
Either way, if your looking at chain rings, you can't go past a stainless Surly. Great longevity, when it does wear, you can flip it and run it again (double the value). 32 is fine, (I personally think 33t is perfect) for 29ers of course. (Running 180mm cranks helps with leverage too).

QZ13

Likes Dirt

'some funny blokes' were hubbards with nought better to do than cause trouble, ban 'em I say!

all the analysis in the world wont help you push a gear like that. Put one on your bike that you can push, or walk

Jeebus used to be able to push a big gear and lay down some geary HuRT, now...

and that ain't his bike

chrischris

Likes Dirt
and that ain't his bike
I thought he was a Niner man? And that pic was hilarious o' bearded one! Who came up with that idea? That would lift anyone's spirits.

I don't think I'll find an answer to my original question. 32:20 it is for me.