The Single Speed Thread

mr626

Likes Bikes
Nice bikes guys. What sort of ratio are you running on the cogs?

A friend and I put the Mongoose through its paces yesterday on a particularly rugged local single track. Turned out to be an all SS day- he's still waiting on a replacement BB so he ended up using my Peace 9R (well, he started with the 9R and we swapped half way).

The Peace had a clear advantage with the larger tyres- I can see what people mean about 29ers and being able to clear rough ground/logs/rocks etc. It's running 32/16 at the moment, which doesn't seem to suit my local trails that well. Will probably change the re cog over to a 19 or 20 at some point.

The Mongoose...actually held up really well! It loses traction more easily than the Peace and isn't as good at clearing large rocks, but it is light and nimble so good for throwing around a bit. Nothing came loose / fell off / broke, so hopefully that means I did a half-reasonable job putting this thing together :) Currently running 32/18 on this, but as with the Peace I think a larger rear cog would be better suited to my area.

My friend hadn't ridden SS before, but he had a blast. Back at his place we were looking at his normal ride (Mongoose Fireball) and what do you know- horizontal dropouts! I may just convert him yet :heh:

Random aside- I need to invest in some leg/shin protection. Not so much for the terrain, more for my Gusset Prosecutor pedals. Great grip, but you really know about it when you cop one in the shins :doh:

Mopageboy

Likes Bikes
I saw a guy riding back up the hill at the You Yangs stockyards on a single speed hardtail. He made me feel very unfit, even tho I was riding up too. I thought getting rid of my granny was a big step. Good hustle

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Random aside- I need to invest in some leg/shin protection. Not so much for the terrain, more for my Gusset Prosecutor pedals. Great grip, but you really know about it when you cop one in the shins :doh:
I am running 32:17 at the moment on my fat bike and it is pretty good. On my other SS 26er (mud bike) I have tried 32:16, 32:18, 32:20, and 28:20. The 32:18 was probably the best all round option. But it depends on the track and how much hiking you are prepared to do.

G-Form shinnies are pretty good, nice and light you hardly know you are wearing them. Plus they will keep your legs a bit warmer during winter. There are a few threads on here about pads.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've got 2 single speed rigs, a hardtail and a dually. On the dually I just changed to a 34t up front and had a 12t for the rear, but it had me pushing too much for the uphills, so I'm going to pick up a 13t for the rear and see how that goes. On the hardtail I run a 38/16 and it's pretty much spot on. Here's my dually...

FireEye Match
Large with 06 Marzocchi 66 SL, SLX cranks and Saint 8 inch front and rear. Soon to be 34/13.
2013-05-08 youies trk13.jpg

Last edited:

camoshop

Banned
I've got 2 single speed rigs, a hardtail and a dually. On the dually I just changed to a 34t up front and had a 12t for the rear, but it had me pushing too much for the uphills, so I'm going to pick up a 13t for the rear and see how that goes. On the hardtail I run a 38/16 and it's pretty much spot on. Here's my dually...

FireEye Match
Large with 06 Marzocchi 66 SL, SLX cranks and Saint 8 inch front and rear. Soon to be 34/13.
nice bike man, i'm running 32/13 its tough in some places but still a nice gear, 34/12 must give the legs a work out!! what brand rear cogs you running?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
nice bike man, i'm running 32/13 its tough in some places but still a nice gear, 34/12 must give the legs a work out!! what brand rear cogs you running?
I'm using the Gusset Double Six cog with the wider base on the hardtail and the dually.

34/12 was too tough for me, nice on the downhills, but too much of a grind going up. I'm giving 34/13 a run at the You Yangs tomorrow and we'll see how that goes.

Drew Peacock

Likes Bikes
SS Gearing for the Husky 100

Hi Guys,

I'm doing the Husky in a few weeks on an SS 29'er and was wondering if anyone has ridden the course SS and has an opinion on a suitable gearing.

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Soma B-Side 650

• Tange Prestige Cr-mo frame w/Tange/IRD sliding dropouts
    M970 XTR cranks w/ceramic B/B
    DXR 34/18 sprockets
    DA7900 10sp chain
    M540 pedals
    M975 XTR disc brakes w/Controltech blue hydro hoses
    eXotic alloy triple crown fork
    XT hubs built to WTB Frequency i23 rims with DT Competition spokes & alloy nipples
    Kenda Karma 650x2.0 tyres & Kenda 650b tubes
    King h/s w/Gub featherweight spacers
    Zipp Service Course stem
    Custom Ti bars, 700 x 31.8 w/6 deg sweep
    Custom Ti pillar
    Custom Ti skewers (windups)
    Specialized Ti saddle

mr626

Likes Bikes
Cross posting from my 'show us your bike' thread post. Full specs are there.

Sanderson Breath SS build. Weighs in at just over 11kg

Last edited: