The BMX Race thread.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
slowly getting back up to speed... still a ways off yet.
Cheeky little GoPro video from the weekend, love playing around with it.
[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/317838/[/video]

Crimson

Likes Dirt
Same here.

Riding to work for the first time since breaking the collar bone in late April tomorrow. Haven't ventured out onto the track as yet, but I intend to start doing slow laps again from next weekend. Probably won't be in "shape" for the first clubby of July the week after but we'll see.

I got hold of some rims. I thought some might be interested to know what they actually weigh. I got the PBR thinking, why does everyone use a Runaway when this is lighter & cheaper?

Deviant
32h
Advertised: 305g
Rim_Deviant_32h_weight.jpg

PBR
36h
Advertised: 365g
Rim_PBR_36h_weight.jpg

Runaway
36h
Advertised: 425g
Rim_Runaway_36h_weight.jpg

Envy front
32h
Advertised: 395g
Rim_Envy_fr_32h_weight.jpg

Rhyno Lite XL
36h
Advertised: 425g
Rim_Rhyno_lite_XL_36h_weight.jpg

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yet another boring weekend of rain here in bris... trying to get comfortable on the bike again but nature wants nothing to do with it!
anyone heading to bundaberg this coming weekend? me and 9 mates are heading up... should be fun

converge11

Likes Dirt
Yep ill be there racing the cruiser. Was last minute broke decision so me and my son are just going to sleep in the car lol. Should be a good weekend!

Crimson

Likes Dirt
Anything happening in Brisbane on the weekend of August 3rd-4th?

I'm coming home for 2 weeks and am tossing up bringing the 20" with me seeing as I have 20kg os checked baggage.

Not really looking at competing at an open (can lend a hand officiating though), but a clubby wouldn't be too bad, or even just a gate session.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep ill be there racing the cruiser. Was last minute broke decision so me and my son are just going to sleep in the car lol. Should be a good weekend!
25-29 mens cru? High chance I will be put up with you as I am nommed for 19-24 mens cru as well as A Pro :p
Anything happening in Brisbane on the weekend of August 3rd-4th?

I'm coming home for 2 weeks and am tossing up bringing the 20" with me seeing as I have 20kg os checked baggage.

Not really looking at competing at an open (can lend a hand officiating though), but a clubby wouldn't be too bad, or even just a gate session.
Open day at beenleigh on the 4th... new track layout so should be fun

converge11

Likes Dirt
25-29 mens cru? High chance I will be put up with you as I am nommed for 19-24 mens cru as well as A Pro :p

nah mate 30-34 apparently..... 25-29 seems to be a cursed class. ive never ridden an open day yet that has had it lol. even at cq's despite having enough for a 25-29 class they still turned it into 30+ even though we had a few blokes around the 17-19 age group plus a couple my age....i was meant to be racing 25-29 on the 20 inch but they turned that into 30+ as well so i just settled for cruiser haha.

come say g'day if you spot me lining up. 601, red staats

Last edited:

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nah mate 30-34 apparently..... 25-29 seems to be a cursed class. ive never ridden an open day yet that has had it lol. even at cq's despite having enough for a 25-29 class they still turned it into 30+ even though we had a few blokes around the 17-19 age group plus a couple my age....i was meant to be racing 25-29 on the 20 inch but they turned that into 30+ as well so i just settled for cruiser haha.

come say g'day if you spot me lining up. 601, red staats
will do, im 217. silver cruiser and orange 20"... full tld gear

Crimson

Likes Dirt
Sweet. That was my home track back in the early 90's (despite living closer to the Logan City track).

I checked it out last time I was back home (Nov 2011) and it still had the same basic layout that I remembered, though it had obviously been rebuilt.

converge11

Likes Dirt
had an awesome time at the canetoad classic. got 4th in my class. not real happy with the way i rode but i loved the track. nice meeting you hayden. did you see old mate having a sook at me after yesterdays final moto? couldnt handle a little block pass haha

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
had an awesome time at the canetoad classic. got 4th in my class. not real happy with the way i rode but i loved the track. nice meeting you hayden. did you see old mate having a sook at me after yesterdays final moto? couldnt handle a little block pass haha
Yeah, some people need to calm down... Had a decent time too, pretty pissed with how I rode but I felt my gates were awesome so that's always good. Need more track time...

Crimson

Likes Dirt
Changed over my front end on Saturday morning.

Out with the Supercross CrMo forks, Thomson BMX stem and Supercross Fox Yeah! bars (8").

In with the Sinz Elite tapered carbon forks, Thomson X4 stem (31.8mm clamp size) and Box Maximums bars (8.5").

Decided to do some test runs at balancing against the retaining wall (first time back on a BMX since breaking my collar bone) and I've got zero strength in my right arm so it is virtually impossible to maintain my balance.

Go out to the track anyway to watch coaching / shoot the breeze before the clubby and one of my mates bends/breaks some spokes in his rear wheel when his training buddy falls into him during a drill. End up lending him the 20" for the rest of coaching and the following clubby.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
been plugging away at racing despite the cold here in freaking Antarctica. finished off the Sunday 30+ Cruiser series at oe of the clubs we race - Gawler - with the men and one other (15 years younger) woman, at least 8 years older than the other riders in 6th place out of 10, kinda happy with that. looking at 6th place maybe against the men in Retro as well. we're just about to start the State Series, probably doing 20" as well as cruiser because i don't know that Retro will run again this year.

i'm fast pushing 49 and feeling it.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Changed over my front end on Saturday morning.

Out with the Supercross CrMo forks, Thomson BMX stem and Supercross Fox Yeah! bars (8").

In with the Sinz Elite tapered carbon forks, Thomson X4 stem (31.8mm clamp size) and Box Maximums bars (8.5").

Decided to do some test runs at balancing against the retaining wall (first time back on a BMX since breaking my collar bone) and I've got zero strength in my right arm so it is virtually impossible to maintain my balance.

Go out to the track anyway to watch coaching / shoot the breeze before the clubby and one of my mates bends/breaks some spokes in his rear wheel when his training buddy falls into him during a drill. End up lending him the 20" for the rest of coaching and the following clubby.
Get a theraband and use that, amazing for strength building (what I used/am using for my AC)

converge11

Likes Dirt
Yeah, some people need to calm down... Had a decent time too, pretty pissed with how I rode but I felt my gates were awesome so that's always good. Need more track time...
man your gates were awesome. i struggled really bad with that gate. i was running 40-17 on my cruiser so i couldnt get any snap. i really should change to a 39-17 or 41-18 or something. what gearing do you run on your 24?

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
man your gates were awesome. i struggled really bad with that gate. i was running 40-17 on my cruiser so i couldnt get any snap. i really should change to a 39-17 or 41-18 or something. what gearing do you run on your 24?
Thanks! I think I am the only person in existance who prefers flat start hill haha!

Yep 41-18 for me with 1.75 powerblocks and 175mm cranks

Crimson

Likes Dirt
Not exactly racing related, but bought myself a DK "Golf" bag today and will be packing the Baum up tomorrow for this weekend's flight.

Anytime I get bored on my break, I'll rip over to a track and do some laps assuming the tracks (predominately south side) are open to the public.