The BMX Race thread.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3 motos is definitely piss poor for an aus title, how boring.

Hey did anyone happen to see if anyone raced with a helmet cam on? I saw photos with people using them but not sure if in practice or racing. Just wanna know how strict they are on this ban
Darryn Goodwin was racing with one... but I think that has something to do with sponsorship (if you are sponsored by them you are allowed to race with one, that's the UCI rule as far as I am aware)

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting, I'm not sure anyone got a link? Epic crash on that Jr Elite round too....

3 races is pretty shit for a aus title, but looking at it from the event perspective having an extra moto is a fair bit of extra logistics of 50% of classes don't have a final...

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i would also chime in with how freaking expensive it was to enter, and then to crash out in a small class and still not get a plate...i'd be pissed off. we didn't ride Nationals simply because at $120 to enter each class with five classes between us then travel and accomodation, and considering we just bought a house...

i rode the recent SA State Titles with food poisoning in two classes having travelled over 200ks to Mt Gambier to ride them, and because there was a very late entry to our Retro class i wasn't even called to the podium. as the oldest female rider in three classes in the state and the reason Retro ran at all in the State Series for 2012 and at State Titles 2013, i think it was piss poor. i'm still waiting for acknowledgement from BMXSA and my State Titles trophy and plate, and as for the private sector, i'm also the reason - the advocate - for Retro Racing here in SA but somehow the recent Radelaide Show and Shine forgot to mention me as well.

i'd like to know where our entry money goes because i know damn well the clubs aren't seeing it.

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'd like to know where our entry money goes because i know damn well the clubs aren't seeing it.
Insurance, track build for the event.... feeding/shirts for volunteers. I daresay that'd be a big chunk of it. I think the clubs only get to keep what they raise from raffles and canteen sales..

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Insurance, track build for the event.... feeding/shirts for volunteers. I daresay that'd be a big chunk of it. I think the clubs only get to keep what they raise from raffles and canteen sales..
insurance is the province of BMXA. shirts for volunteers etc yes. first aid is volunteer. track builds are at the cost of the club - that i know all too well.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
insurance is the province of BMXA. shirts for volunteers etc yes. first aid is volunteer. track builds are at the cost of the club - that i know all too well.
Nope, actually yes and no. First aid is volunteer but their services require a donation to have them attend. It's how they maintain their charity/not for profit status. Ambos on site cost a fortune too.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
but sleeman doesnt have a club does it?
From my knowledge, sleeman is run solely by BMXQ.

And as for where the money that local clubs earn ends up... as far as my local club (pine rivers) it all gets re invested into our facilities.

Crimson

Likes Dirt
Got the new Sinz Elite carbon forks with the tapereed carbon steerer tube (and 20mm drop outs) a week or so ago now.

Sent them off to Baum to be painted in a fashion that more accurately matches my build.

Unfortunately because of the extensive scalloping used by Sinz, they couldn't produce exactly what I wanted, but here is the end result:

2013-05-11 10.16.17.jpg

Looking forward to getting them on the bike and riding it again (but not for ~4 weeks because of the shoulder surgery).

Also found out today that the Box Vector cranks should be available (in the US) by the end of the month. The build is almost complete.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finished putting back together my cruiser last night over giving it a bit of a make over. Stoked on how it turned out
Before:
p4pb9016468.jpg
After:
IMG_1462.jpgIMG_1463.jpg

Frame GHP Cruiser
Fork Answer Scythe
Bars S&M Race Cruiser 29
Stem S&M Top Load 57mm
Grips ODI Ruffian MX 143mm
Headset Generic
Brakeset DXR
Seat collar Crupi
Seat post Thompson
Seat SDG TiFly
Cranks SLX 175mm
Chainring Elevn
Hubs Redline
Rims Envy
Tyres Tioga Powerblock 1.75'

Crimson

Likes Dirt
Woke up this morning to this bombshell picture on facebook:

2013 Auburn.jpg

My favourite mid-school brand is making a come back!
So despite bulding 2 new bikes just before christmas, it looks like I might be replacing the cruiser frame sooner than I expected, if their pro sized cruisers have the leading edge features that I desire.

(I won't be getting rid of the Ti 20" anytime soon)

Norco Maniac

Is back!
(I won't be getting rid of the Ti 20" anytime soon)
how is the Baum going?

my OH finally got his way and got me off the Formula - by buying me some Risen forks that wouldn't fit!! so then, he bought me a new GHP frame to go with the forks. very smooth move, that was :pound:

but i've grown to like it. Raced at Gawler yesterday and even felt pretty ok on that track on it.

converge11

Likes Dirt
those new GHP's look great! the wife, boy and i are heading off to maryborough on friday to race our first cq championships. bit worried cause honestly, ive been pretty slack on the training side of things. but really excited about riding on a track with sealed berms and stuff. never ridden there before so heading off a day early to ride their clubby to get used to the track. if all goes to plan ill come back with a new plate for the cruiser. that'll depend on my age class though, most likely will get mixed in with the 30+ guys or have 17+ guys moved up with us. ill be in trouble then! haha, cant wait!

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
those new GHP's look great! the wife, boy and i are heading off to maryborough on friday to race our first cq championships. bit worried cause honestly, ive been pretty slack on the training side of things. but really excited about riding on a track with sealed berms and stuff. never ridden there before so heading off a day early to ride their clubby to get used to the track. if all goes to plan ill come back with a new plate for the cruiser. that'll depend on my age class though, most likely will get mixed in with the 30+ guys or have 17+ guys moved up with us. ill be in trouble then! haha, cant wait!
Sounds fun! Our SQ titles are coming up soon... I have been given the nod to ease back into riding but am yet to touch a BMX bike yet, want to make sure I can handle myself on a mtb first... Nommed for Pro and Cruiser so I am guessing that I am going to spend most of my pro motos staring at the back of 7 or so helmets :p

Norco Maniac

Is back!
It is doing a great job of sitting in the garage atm.

At least it hasn't been the bike to throw me, always been the cruiser.

Nice GHP. Seeing a lot of them around in Victoria.
do you set the bikes up so they ride similar? that's something my OH is a stickler for - and one of the reasons he's got me off the Formula. my raw GHP 20" is a Pro XL and against that, the Formula was just too short. the GHP cruiser is a half-inch longer and rides very similar to the 20". i've even gone to a 20" for Retro to get them feeling as similar as possible.

i know the GHP distributor in Victoria, nice bloke, raced with him at State Titles. my OH rides for the SRCycles/GHP Australia team here in SA.

converge11

Likes Dirt
Well im in love with cement berms! So fast!!! Loved maryboroughs track. I ended up in 30+ class with a couple young guns that didn't have their own class either. Those two, along with last year's cq1 dominated. The rest of us had to fight hard for the rest of the spots. I got caught up in some carnage in one moto and crashed hard into some poor guy that went down in front of me. Ouch for him! Ended up getting 6CQ. I really wanted 5 and was tied for it but stuffed my gate in last moto and missed out by a few micro seconds. My wife did much better than me and despite her hitting the concrete quite hard she walked away with 4CQ. Had a blast, learnt a few good lessons, now I'm looking at finally getting some clips. ....gonna definately need them in future!

Crimson

Likes Dirt
I last visited the Maryborough track at the end of 2011, prior to that is was 1990 (the year I left the town for Brisbane). They had redone the start hill and all the straights but the second at that time and were going to be redoing the second over the christmas break (adding the pro section I believe). I didn't know they had concrete berms on their to do list though.