The stupid questions thread.

EXSSVE

Likes Dirt
Reno'ing the kitchen.....
Why the fuck are splashback's so expensive.

Anyone have any suggestion's for cheaper alternatives to Glass or tile? We're on a tight budget. [read: eating into my bike upgrade coin]

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily

Anyone have any suggestion's for cheaper alternatives to Glass or tile? We're on a tight budget. [read: eating into my bike upgrade coin]
Laminate, plenty of colours/patterns to choose from. You can probably pick up some seconds at a good price

Mini-orb might look ok, depending on the style of kitchen

Glass splash back is good. No grout & easy to clean

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

One of those things. Problem is, it needs to be fire rated & water proof. I knocked one up for a friend, ended up being about 1/3 the cost of a glass splash back. Get enough glass tiles 200 or 300mm longest dimension works best to tile the area, a box or two of neutral cure silicone (clear), a couple of tubes in white or whatever grouting colour you like. Glue the tiles on with the silicone and grout with the colour silicone. Heaps cheaper than getting it tiled professionally and easy to diy. Anything done by trade is going to co$t in a splash back unfortunately.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Laminate, plenty of colours/patterns to choose from. You can probably pick up some seconds at a good price

Mini-orb might look ok, depending on the style of kitchen

Glass splash back is good. No grout & easy to clean
was going to suggest corrugated iron then realized that is what mini orb is...

moorey

call me Mia
We looked at the whole wank splashback when we built. Ended up going with glass we had the back of painted. 11'x3'. One big arse piece. Cheap as chips, piece of piss to keep clean.

scblack

Leucocholic

I have seen stainless steel look excellent for a splashback. But I imagine it would be a bitch to keep clean.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
glass splashback is worth the money.
depending on the size of the area, you might pick up an offcut/unwanted colour etc as well cheaper.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If you can keep it to simple shapes, ie. rectangles, without power point cut outs, no internal corners and use a flat colour rather than a metallic it will keep the price down. Glass is by far the best option, looks the tits and upkeep is super easy. Where about are you? I might be able to put you on to someone.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why does each day of the week end in the word day? If each day also has a night. And why do we refer to each day as a day and a night of each day? If day is considered a unit of time which is equal to 24hrs, then where does night come in? Is nightime part of the daytime? If so then how can daytime be 24hrs? Is my question soo stupid it doesn't make any sense?

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Why does each day of the week end in the word day? If each day also has a night. And why do we refer to each day as a day and a night of each day? If day is considered a unit of time which is equal to 24hrs, then where does night come in? Is nightime part of the daytime? If so then how can daytime be 24hrs? Is my question soo stupid it doesn't make any sense?
:faint:
mind= blown

moorey

call me Mia
They are named after people/gods and heavenly bodies etc, aren't they? Thursday = thors day, Wednesday = wodans day, Saturday = Saturn day....

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unless night is a part of the 24hrs... but then the day would not be equal to the whole 24hrs... unless people mistake the term 'day' as actually being the day and not the night time part of the day. In which case daytime is the same as nightime and only distinguishable by the level of darkness or lack of sunlight, which brings me to my next question; how much lack of light is needed in order for the day to be night? and how much light or lack of darkness is needed for the day to be daytime? or is it purely based on a set definition of hourly time, in which case you would be using time to measure a unit of time?.....

Last edited:

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are named after people/gods and heavenly bodies etc, aren't they? Thursday = thors day, Wednesday = wodans day, Saturday = Saturn day....
I can understand that in regards to the actual naming of the days, what i dont understand is the definition of the word 'day'.

0psi

Eats Squid
Monday= Mundane day.

As for why there are 24 hours in a day I think it had something to do with stars. At some point in the year somewhere on Earth night is 12 hours long and certain stars would show up at exact intervals that worked out to 12 different segments and those intervals were then mirrored to the day time leading to 24 hours.

There is a chance I'm full of crap but from memory it went something like that.

ucangetme1

Likes Bikes
Back in the day...... A day would have started at dawn, therefore the beginning of the day and the daylight were one and the same.