Pets / Dogs in an Apartment?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Well,

The good lady wife now says she wants a dog to add an extra complication to our lives.
In some ways i agree, it'd be nice to have someone else in the house that I can turn to in times of "all vision and no sound" from the wife!

Anyway, we currently live in an apartment, 2 bed with a decent sized balcony in the city. This property is rented, an we are about to submit an application to the landlord to keep a dog.

Has anyone got any experiences with a dog in a relalively small space like an apartment?
Anyone been living in rented accomodation with a dog?

Good/bad idea?

Cheers
Johnny.

scblack

Leucocholic
Bad idea, the dog will go batshit running in circles on a balcony.

Hardly a good environment to keep a dog. They need space.

willsy01

Eats Squid

This.

Dog will go crazy......dog will bark it's arse off.......everyone within a 300m radius will want to kill you.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

I'm not being a smart arse and dont want to come across as a dick, but have you had personal experience with a dog in an aparment?

I was under the same impression as you at the start, but doing some research it seems that certain breeds can live happily in an apartment.
The dog will be left for no more than 4 hours alone either, I work very close to where I live and can travel home during the day.

Would love to hear someones own personal experiences be they good or bad!

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It can work, there are dogs in my block. We have one but we have a ground floor apartment with a small garden. We have a rotteweiller. She's fine, one walk and she'll sleep all day.

Do your research on breeds, and you have to be very committed to taking them out for walks. 4 hours is great actually, that's not long at all for a dog to be alone.

It requires an extra level of responsibility and commitment. Remember also if you are getting a small dog they tend to live longer - so you could be up for a 15 year commitment. If you can't hack that then get a goldfish.

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm not being a smart arse and dont want to come across as a dick, but have you had personal experience with a dog in an aparment?
Now you ARE coming across as a dick. You asked for OPINIONS if it is a good/bad idea and now you have two opinions that it is a stupid idea.

I was under the same impression as you at the start, but doing some research it seems that certain breeds can live happily in an apartment.
The dog will be left for no more than 4 hours alone either, I work very close to where I live and can travel home during the day.
What, is the dog going to ring you on his mobile if he is feeling stressed? So you can run home and give it a cuddle?

Would love to hear someones own personal experiences be they good or bad!
As willsy01 says, everyone within a 300m radius will hate your guts because you have a dog that is borderline psychotic due to being cooped up alone. We don't need "personal experience" to know what a dog needs. And what a dog needs is not a dinky 2bedroom unit (with a balcony) - for any dog a 2 bedroom unit is dinky.

We have ALL lived near people who coop a dog up. Thats "personal experience". My current neighbour had a large dog in a 8m by 5m yard. It was hell living next to that. It shredded everything in their yard - including its wooden kennel.

SOME dogs may live fine in an apartment - if they have constant attention from someone living full time with them. Not left alone for a minimum of four hours every day.

We are providing you with advice - not just affirmation for your good lady wife's idea.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Really research that breed mate
And you can never really predict who will be a barker and who won't be
They'd have to be a pretty docile breed and a pretty docile dog within that breed

I've lived next to several people, on properties - not even an apartment
And their dogs barking all day drove me bananas (I've worked shift work and from a home office as well)
I believe that one pair had no idea their dog was barking because he was all happy when he heard them coming home
Dog barking is THE MOST annoying noise to live next to
And 4 hours of it is enough to send anyone crazy

What if by chance you do get a barker - you give it away like the multitude of Xmas doggy presents that don't work out
To be frank, I hope the owners see sense and say no

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Dogs are the best, better than most people in my eyes but please choose wisely with the breed as it would be a pretty ordinary gig to live in a box with only one or two walks around on a lead each week. Keep in mind it will limit your future renting options too and some people just cancel the dog when they can't get a pet friendly place, that shit ain't on.
Have a look at some breeds that suit elderly people as those dogs enjoy your company more than anything else and could be what you're after. The best advice I can offer is to get a puppy and train it. Don't go half arsed with it; train the dog and make it awesome! You want it to be obedient but still have a free mind of it's own and you want it to know the rules of the house and where to lay cable.
Treat your doggy like a little person and love the shit out of it, dogs give so much unconditional joy and love as long as you give it in return.

0psi

Eats Squid
Good to see the dog experts out.

It'll be fine mate, just need to get the right breed of dog. Despite what you may think, little dogs aren't great in an apartment, Jack Russells, Terriers, etc. are pretty energetic and actually need a bit of space. Don't get a Chihuahua on account that no one should own a Chihuahua and they are yappy little fuckers.

Funnily enough a Great Dane is a great apartment dog. They don't need a lot of exercise and generally lounge around all day anyway.

A typical suburban backyard isn't too different to an apartment in the eyes of a dog, it's still the same thing day in day out and isn't really enough room to run around properly. Either way your dog will need to be walked every day to get exercise and stimulation.

Getting an older dog from a shelter could also be an option. They won't be as excitable as a pup and shelter staff generally have a better idea of the temperament of their animals, they'll be able to better inform you if a particular dog is quiet and would be suited to an apartment.

Asterope

Likes Dirt
whippet, whippet good.
+1 for this.
Or a rescue greyhound.
They make great apartment pets because they simply cannot be bothered doing anything that requires effort.
You have no idea how much sleeping whippets and greyhounds do. They demand a good sleep after a hard days resting.
Most of them will be happy with a half-hour walk per day, a longer walk on the weekends and a quick flit down to the park every few days to do zoomies for 2 minutes before being absolutely stuffed and wanting to go home.
They are quiet, polite and lazy. Beware they are definitely not the kind of dog for you if you cannot stand having dogs on the furniture, because they don't give a shit that you don't want them on there - its comfy and they want to sleep up there. They don't smell and they don't eat too much.
We have only lived in houses, but most of hour neighbours did not even realise we had a dog until we told them.

Be ware though - every dog is different and just because my experience with a certain breed tells me that they are quiet and lazy, does not mean if you end up with the same breed that they wont have issues... I know of greyhounds that have terrible seperation anxiety and howl all day when their owners are away.

That being said - if you are willing to keep them stimulated, come home every four hours to see them and keep them happy, then it can work for the right kind of dog :)

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
^oh - you beat me^

I'll say it again.
Whippet.
Inherited the father in laws as he went into a nursing home. Grew up as a pup for 12 years in his 2 bed, third story apartment. Got taken out for 1 walk a day. He is super quiet, just lies around - but when gets to open space lets it rip. Have hardly heard a bark ever.
They are super super loyal and clingy. When we got him at about 12 years he would literally not leave my side. I would be gardening, step back and kept falling over him - he has relaxed a bit now. They are a bit neurotic (maybe its just him) - used to annoy me - but now it is endearing - in a seinfeld, larry david, jewish comedian kind of way.

good luck.

wembas

Likes Dirt
Good luck with the application and your landlord...... your gonna need it !!!

Dogs need and deserve to be able to run around outside - on grass... dig in dirt.... pinch clothes of the clothes line and chew them up... bark at the postman... etc

AND.... think about cleaning up the shit too.... wont be pretty.

unless your getting one that your missus can carry around in her handbag - i do not approve.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
whippet, whippet good.
Dude in work has a whippet in an apartment, he inherited it when his missis moved in. Reckons she's a great dog! My strata rules are that the dog must be in and around 10kg so a whippet might be too big!

As willsy01 says, everyone within a 300m radius will hate your guts because you have a dog that is borderline psychotic due to being cooped up alone. We don't need "personal experience" to know what a dog needs. And what a dog needs is not a dinky 2bedroom unit (with a balcony) - for any dog a 2 bedroom unit is dinky.

We have ALL lived near people who coop a dog up. Thats "personal experience". My current neighbour had a large dog in a 8m by 5m yard. It was hell living next to that. It shredded everything in their yard - including its wooden kennel.

SOME dogs may live fine in an apartment - if they have constant attention from someone living full time with them. Not left alone for a minimum of four hours every day.

We are providing you with advice - not just affirmation for your good lady wife's idea.
Meeowwww.... and i thought I was being a dick!

Dogs are the best, better than most people in my eyes but please choose wisely with the breed as it would be a pretty ordinary gig to live in a box with only one or two walks around on a lead each week. Keep in mind it will limit your future renting options too and some people just cancel the dog when they can't get a pet friendly place, that shit ain't on.
Have a look at some breeds that suit elderly people as those dogs enjoy your company more than anything else and could be what you're after. The best advice I can offer is to get a puppy and train it. Don't go half arsed with it; train the dog and make it awesome! You want it to be obedient but still have a free mind of it's own and you want it to know the rules of the house and where to lay cable.
Treat your doggy like a little person and love the shit out of it, dogs give so much unconditional joy and love as long as you give it in return.
Looking at either a Boston terrier or French bulldog, both are supposed to excellent with the elderly... this is not the first time I've heard this, its supposed to be a good indicator of how "house friendly" brreds can be!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
A bulldog is a good idea, they're awesome and love to just hang out without the need of heaps of running around. Plus, they look so cool just kicking back. ;)

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
even with a pefectly behaved dog you might have trouble with the busybodies on the body corporate. My parents had an old dog they took to an apartment, mostly deaf so never noticed things to bark at, never made a noise. Still got hassled endlessly by people with no life.
Be careful matching breed to your lifestyle. how long will the dog be alone each day? will they have somewhere to go to the toilet? where will dog sleep? how much exercise will you be giving it, and be realistic. Most people swear they'll run a husky into the ground and that enthusiasm lasts barely through the puppy phase.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid

Yep.

I have lived with and without dogs in apartments and free standing houses with yards.
I want a dog, but not until I can give it the quality of life it deserves. A big yard and lots of space to run around and play.

Also keep in mind,

What if you want to tajke the family away for theweekend? You can't lock the dog in the house, you can't tie it to a post in the apartment yard, you'll have to take it with you. That limits where ytou can go and what you can do. Or if you just want to go to the beach with the fam for the day in the middle of summer? Can't leave em locked in the house or tied up. If you have a big yuard with a nice cool shady spot you could leave them at home, but not an apartment. Do you have dog friendly beaches?
In winter you can't just lock em outside the apartment or keep them inside 24/7 because they will go nuts. They need a warm and comfy outside sleeping area so they can mix up the indoor / outdoors in winter.
Renting is bad. Dogs just wear shit out and make a mess.
Even good ones. Hair in the carpet, muddy paws, scratching and chewing stuff. It also means that a vast majority of houses you will not be able to apply for because they will say 'No pets'.
I would never rent with a dog again.

We were considering a bulldog, but my wife used to have a bulldog and as lovely as they are, and good with kids, don't consider one unless you have deep pockets and a commitment to high maintenenace. Always having to clean the folds in the skin with sterile wipes, hip problems, you need pet insurance with a bulldog because the vet bills will mean no more bike stuff or splurge money.

I don't mean to come across as negative, but a dog can not just be a mans best friend, they can also be a handbrake on happiness if your happiness is derived from freedom and spontenaity.

I do love bulldogs though.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
even with a pefectly behaved dog you might have trouble with the busybodies on the body corporate. My parents had an old dog they took to an apartment, mostly deaf so never noticed things to bark at, never made a noise. Still got hassled endlessly by people with no life.
Be careful matching breed to your lifestyle. how long will the dog be alone each day? will they have somewhere to go to the toilet? where will dog sleep? how much exercise will you be giving it, and be realistic. Most people swear they'll run a husky into the ground and that enthusiasm lasts barely through the puppy phase.
Some good points there, and its not a snap decision on our behalf. We've spent the last 12 months discussing the limitations and responsibilities of dog ownership and wont enter it lightly.
We have already spoken to the Strata, they have certain conditions that need to be met in order to keep a dog. There are numerous dogs in our block, and I have never had any issues with nuisance noise or anything.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Yep.

I have lived with and without dogs in apartments and free standing houses with yards.
I want a dog, but not until I can give it the quality of life it deserves. A big yard and lots of space to run around and play.

Also keep in mind,

What if you want to tajke the family away for theweekend? You can't lock the dog in the house, you can't tie it to a post in the apartment yard, you'll have to take it with you. That limits where ytou can go and what you can do. Or if you just want to go to the beach with the fam for the day in the middle of summer? Can't leave em locked in the house or tied up. If you have a big yuard with a nice cool shady spot you could leave them at home, but not an apartment. Do you have dog friendly beaches?
In winter you can't just lock em outside the apartment or keep them inside 24/7 because they will go nuts. They need a warm and comfy outside sleeping area so they can mix up the indoor / outdoors in winter.
Renting is bad. Dogs just wear shit out and make a mess.
Even good ones. Hair in the carpet, muddy paws, scratching and chewing stuff. It also means that a vast majority of houses you will not be able to apply for because they will say 'No pets'.
I would never rent with a dog again.

We were considering a bulldog, but my wife used to have a bulldog and as lovely as they are, and good with kids, don't consider one unless you have deep pockets and a commitment to high maintenenace. Always having to clean the folds in the skin with sterile wipes, hip problems, you need pet insurance with a bulldog because the vet bills will mean no more bike stuff or splurge money.

I don't mean to come across as negative, but a dog can not just be a mans best friend, they can also be a handbrake on happiness if your happiness is derived from freedom and spontenaity.

I do love bulldogs though.
This is the kind of experience I'm after.... Cheers

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
^oh - you beat me^

I'll say it again.
Whippet.
Inherited the father in laws as he went into a nursing home. Grew up as a pup for 12 years in his 2 bed, third story apartment. Got taken out for 1 walk a day. He is super quiet, just lies around - but when gets to open space lets it rip. Have hardly heard a bark ever.
They are super super loyal and clingy. When we got him at about 12 years he would literally not leave my side. I would be gardening, step back and kept falling over him - he has relaxed a bit now. They are a bit neurotic (maybe its just him) - used to annoy me - but now it is endearing - in a seinfeld, larry david, jewish comedian kind of way.

good luck.
They are very clingy.
I spend 8 hours a day in an office with one at my side.
He just sleeps all day. Nice enough dog, but quite shy and very clingy.