Pets / Dogs in an Apartment?

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
we have a cavalier and if we lived in a apartment, he would not care in the slightest i dont think, quiet, small, not a stupid yappy thing and always happy to see us. i think everyone saying not to get one is thinking yur goin to try keep a large dog, if you have a smaller one, they will cope a lot better. and i dont mean a chiuawa, those things are fucking stupid. our neighbours have a german shepherd and whenever there not home its barks non stop, tears up the yard and is a general paiin in the ass, never gets walked or sees outside the 15x8 yard it has to live in. if you get it outside for a walk or to a park/beach every few days it shouldnt be to much of a problem. do a bit of research into what dog would suit your current situation and not just jump on the first cute puppy you see.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i lived in a largish 2 bedroom villa in Coffs with no fences. i also have a dog. she is a Cockalier - cross Cocker Spaniel and King Charles Cavalier. she got constant attention from me (working part time in my home, part out) and some walks - she's a bugger when off-leash, will put her nose down and get lost in the scent - but she's ok. she was locked in the bathroom when i was out with Kong toys, bones, a worn t-shirt with my smell on it and of course food and water. she did ok. lots of attention when i got home helped.

she's not six years old and no more crazy than any other dog with small breed in their ancestry. we have a yard now with the back door always left open in good weather and she prefers to be inside with us whenever she can. my family also had an Australian Terrier when i was growing up who lived inside in our pokey little two bedroom flat with two adults and three kids.

i would recommend a Cavalier or equal dog breed that was originally bred as a lap-dog because their temperament is geared towards looking at their humans for all their needs. be prepared to have a dog that wants to be treated like a baby tho and all of the longer-haired breeds will need regular grooming, clipping, and nail-clipping as inside dogs don't wear their nails down naturally.

if you look in the "freebies" section on Gumtree you'll see just how many dogs are moved on by their owners when they become and "inconvenience" but it's also a good way of getting a slightly older dog and missing the messy puppy stage :)

IMG_2729.jpg

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
IMO the biggest issue is that you are renting and it will limit your options in the future, especially if you need to move suddenly. Otherwise as people have said some dogs yes/some no.

teK--

Eats Squid
Well,

The good lady wife now says she wants a dog to add an extra complication to our lives.
In some ways i agree, it'd be nice to have someone else in the house that I can turn to in times of "all vision and no sound" from the wife!

Anyway, we currently live in an apartment, 2 bed with a decent sized balcony in the city. This property is rented, an we are about to submit an application to the landlord to keep a dog.

Has anyone got any experiences with a dog in a relalively small space like an apartment?
Anyone been living in rented accomodation with a dog?

Good/bad idea?

Cheers
Johnny.
From someone who manages apartment buildings, I can tell you it's a bad idea and inhumane for the dog. The dog may get you or your itself kicked out of the building, and/or make your neighbours hate you.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Being an apartment I assume it is Strata titled? If so it isn't the owners decision to say yes or no to the dog, it is a Strata decision (and generally they are Nazis). This was the case when I was in Real Estate anyway....

Alot of the smaller units/apartments I managed were allowed inside dogs, I never really had a problem, hardly any complaints, dogs always seemed friendly and happy and never really stressed. However if you piss your neighbours off, you need to be make sure you have a good home for your dog to go to...

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I'm a landlord. I would not allow my tennants to have a dog, just as I wouldn't allow smokers. They stink up the place and the risk of the animal causing problems is high. I want my tennants to never bother me. My current tennants are so go I bought them a nice washing machine/dryer. (They are in a small appartment and apparently you have to supply a dryer. There is not enought space for two items)

Get a cat. There is less hassle. I assume that since you are here you are a mountain biker. You can reasonably leave the cat for the weekend to get away. You can't do that to a dog.

A meowing cat has nothing on a barking dog. And cats are nice too. Even my hell spawn - not very patty, but she'll sit with you watching telly or doing your uni work. Always runs up to us when we come home (yeah, she wants food, but I choose to see it as happyness to see me)

A cat does not need exercise (10 minutes stimulation is enough) and it also keeps itself clean. Win!

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Just get her pregnant and have a baby and be done with it. It is what she is gearing up for anyway.

The government will pay you to do this and if the baby gets sick there is medicare. Vet bills are very very painful.

Sure there is a lot more investment in a baby, but (I think) much more rewarding. And you can keep them in an appartment quite happily :)

(Apologies if you are infertile and this is grossly tacky and painful for you)

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Just get her pregnant and have a baby and be done with it. It is what she is gearing up for anyway.

The government will pay you to do this and if the baby gets sick there is medicare. Vet bills are very very painful.

Sure there is a lot more investment in a baby, but (I think) much more rewarding. And you can keep them in an appartment quite happily :)

hahahaha..... sweet

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

Sod that. There are too many people breeding as it is. My Facebook newsfeed has transformed itself from what was once an entertaining waste of time, to a paedophile's wet dream.

At least pics of cats and dogs can be amusing. Particularly if capes are involved.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
You might get a docile breed and a docile dog but it really does seem a bit unfair to make an animal grow up in a 2 bed or balcony (I say OR because I doubt that you'll be leaving the door open for the pup to go in and out as they please?).

Also something that no one has mentioned - leaving a dog in your house all day is really going to make the place stink.

I agree that a cat is a better option, and I hate cats!

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Get a beagle, that thing will renovate your apartment day in, day out. Actually get 2, we wouldn't want it to be lonely!

Arete

Likes Dirt
We've lived in old buildings divided into 2-3 apartments (usually one upstairs and one downstairs) for the last 3 years with our staffy, although we've always had a yard. She's crate-trained, so she used to go in the crate when we went to work. She gets two walks a day totaling around 1-2 hours. Our previous upstairs neighbors (we were on the ground floor) didn't know we had a dog for the first 6 months. Our current downstairs neighbors also have a dog (lab/pit mix), and one of them is an emergency department doctor who sometimes works nights. They have a set of keys to our place and will let out our dog to play with theirs if she's home. We get along fantastic, and we never hear their dog.

It can be done, but you need to properly train the dog and commit time to give it attention.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have ALL lived near people who coop a dog up. Thats "personal experience". My current neighbour had a large dog in a 8m by 5m yard. It was hell living next to that. It shredded everything in their yard - including its wooden kennel.

We are providing you with advice - not just affirmation for your good lady wife's idea.
Requoted for truth. My best friend did this to a gorgeous pb rotty and is on the way to doing the same with her latest husky pup. Both misbehaved because they didn't have the space they needed, or the constant amusement and attention those breeds demand.

Keep in mind it will limit your future renting options too and some people just cancel the dog when they can't get a pet friendly place, that shit ain't on.
I DO live in an apartment, granted without a dog. However I have had a couple of years experience volunteering with a number of rescue groups and it's heartbreaking to see the disgusting excuses people concoct as to why they absolutely cannot keep their 'beloved pet'
1. It grew bigger than we thought
2. New place won't take pets
3. It chews everything
4. (and personally, my MOST hated) He/She just 'doesn't get the time they deserve'.

Most of these are solved by asking quite a few simple questions BEFORE purchasing a dog- and not an attack on you, just curious on a couple. Bare in mind you're making an 8+ year commitment.

1. Where will the dog sleep, sit, wander, shit/piss in your apartment?
If the answer is that you're happy for it to wander wherever, 9/10 it will shit/piss there too- you can't litter train a dog. Say goodbye to good couches, wood anything, and carpets that will hold the doggy smell.

2. Who is primarily responsible for the dog- bear in mind this is one person of your couple- as dogs recogise an alpha not two.

3. You go on holiday- then what?

4. You have to move to a new property- then what.?

5. Who's exercising the dog, when and how often? EVERY dog regardless of breed needs to be out and about, for both the physcial movement and the mental stimulation of new smells/sounds/experiences.

6. The dog chews/barks/destroys/howls/jumps/generally doesn't behave as you want. Then what?

6. Not a question- OBEDIENCE TRAINING. If you want them to 'behave' this is no option. The main purpose will be more to create a bond and feelings of trust, so if you are out, anxiety doesn't set in.

Treat your doggy like a little person and love the shit out of it, dogs give so much unconditional joy and love as long as you give it in return.
Please, for the love of god (and Dozer, nothing against you) DO NOT TREAT A DOG LIKE A PERSON. This is why shitty little maltese/poodle/chiwawa rat dog breeds are yappy, bitey and plain awful. This would be the number one thing I would advice ANYONE getting ANY DOG to do. You'd be shocked as to how much 'bad behaviour' we incite by treating dogs as kids.

Looking at either a Boston terrier or French bulldog, both are supposed to excellent with the elderly... this is not the first time I've heard this, its supposed to be a good indicator of how "house friendly" breeds can be!
You're planning on dropping $3- 4,500 on a DOG and you can't consider a decent sized backyard to house it in????? You've got other problems going on mate. This will sound harsh but there's some other priorities not in order here. Dogs really should not be in apartments. And despite being 'good with the elderly' both of these breeds are highly independent and not well known for their obedient nature- which means the potential for a world of problems when this is contained in an apartment environment.

I've had to deal with/rehabilitate dogs that are incredibly anxious and adopt destructive behaviours from being couped up and not exercised. This will generally make you no better than the lowlife who keeps his dogs chained 6 days a week and takes them off for one day to go 'pigging'.

If you're able to in your own good conscience, ruin a dog being fully educated of the downfalls of owning one in an apartment- I'm of the opinion you don't deserve to own one.

*Disclaimer: high levels of cynicism inherent from years of dealing with idiots and their selfish lack of care for dogs, seeing beautiful pets rarely or even never getting rehomed because of their 'issues' thanks to past mistreatment. I mean none of this as a personal attack, but would offer the same advice to anyone asking in this situation.

Doggie experience: my family own rotties- our current boy has nearly 20kg on me and I can control him offleash with a few words. I also previously had a malti/shit/poo (maltese/shitzu/poodle) in a different family who suffered from 'treated like a child' misbehaviour. It's definitely not cute to have a dog barking 24/7 because something moved outside.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
whippet, whippet good.
Surely you jest. Sure, they are happy to chill most of the time, but they are a running dog, and need a lot of exercise. Our 40 acre block is barely big enough for ours.
Then again.....'honey, I'm just taking the dog for a 2 hour walk....I might as well take my bike and head into the bush with it' isn't all bad if you have the time. Wife can't say no to that. Win win.
Mine regularly comes on 20+km rides and wants more. Can you handle that?