NSW Bushfires 17/10

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
One of the biggest outcomes of the Victorian fires was the need to provide better and faster information to the public to allow them to make good decisions ahead of the fires arriving. The RFS has taken this well on board and if you look at the amount of info that is now provided to the public via text messages, twitter, facebook and conventional media (TV and radio) its light years ahead of what used to be provided all with the aim of letting people make quicker and better decisions.

Training has changed too and first arriving crew leaders are now absolutely drilled to provide accurate fire info in their first sitrep on scene so that the emergency warnings can start to go out.

And I would also say that in this age of mass communication that its basicaly impossible to limit information short of draconian limits on telecommunication mediums that are never going to happen. The RFS pragmatically understand that people will seek information from somewhere and its best that they put out accurate info otherwise people will seek their own sources that might not be so accurate.
Spot on. There's no dick measuring in it. I worked Vic as part of the FRNSW strike team (6). We where tasked with property protection, and were preparing for the possibility that the fire front would hit Jamieson. We drove through Marysville every day, and that place will never leave my memory. I think what a lot of people don't realise (and nor did I before seeing it first hand) is that these types of fires, under the predicted conditions are simply not survivable without some pretty specialized systems. Climbing the hill out of Marysville each day, It always amazed me to see signs melted, running back down the road, leaving pools of aluminium. The trees had no branches, no leaves. No grass, no shrubs. Just burnt trunks, dirt and often shattered rocks. The current situation in the mountains had, has the potential to re create the terrible scene from Vic. It's through the lessons learnt, swift and concise (some that you may see as overkill or "scare tactics") decisions and the use of ALL media formats that so far it has been avoided. I also don't think most people realise how far into the urban fringe a fire can push, just because the bush stops or thins, doesn't mean the fire will. I know some people have put a lot of thought and preparation into their own property protection systems, and these homes could well survive the front while offering adequate shelter to those who choose to stay and defend. What you need to remember though is a majority aren't, and those that stay to defend these properties have no idea of the dangers they will face. The men and women pushing the compulsory evacs are only doing their job, they are police officers and SES crews, not firefighters and as such I don't think they have the knowledge required to make the call on a case by case basis, better to evacuate everyone and eliminate the risk of human loss. Which ever way you look at it, if you live in the area, stay safe, stick to your plan and keep your family out of harm's way.
Cheers, Chris

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4

0psi

Eats Squid
I think I get their scare tactics, I think they are just trying to stagger the exit of people off the mountain down the one road we have that is currently clogged up with road works. If the worst case scenario hits and people do their usual wait till the last minute to leave then I suspect they'll be a lot of nicely roasted people jerky on the Great Western highway. Having said that I don't think it's worked as well as they'd like.

There are still a lot of people questioning whether they should stay or leave, when asked what they'd do if they stay they often respond with, "I don't know?" Well shit mate, leave then. Another lady said she was just going to hang out and see what happened, if they had to they'd just go to Katoomba Town centre because that was safe. Oh, they'd had a bunch of geriatrics to deal with as well. FML.

Well I've got the car packed up just in case. Best case scenario I spend the day annoying you lot on Rotorburn. Likely scenario is I spend the day keeping an eye out for embers and spot fires. Worst case I'm legging it and hanging out down at the mother in laws for a while. We did just have 5-10mm of rain across a lot of the mountain though so hopefully that's swung things in our favour a little. Have fun guys and stay safe! :caked:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As one of my colleagues has been saying to everyone who has been asking "Leave to be safe and then call be an over reacting dickhead on Thursday, I don't mind". So yeah will take the family down in the morning and come back for another shift in the arvo.

Was just up at Blackheath, not reported on RFS website but I was told they have backburned all behind Blackheath, across the Grose Valley and along the other side to Bells Line of Road. Seemed pretty well blacked out then already so hopefully the rain can black that out nicely and it can hold the front somewhat as one would assume is intended.

Rain is nice and it soaked me to the skin on the ride home tonight but its still only 4mm at Mt Boyce. Kind of windy now too.

0psi

Eats Squid
I hear they sent the Taswegians into the Grose to do the burn. Is that because they are good or do we just not like foreigners? :behindsofa:

DeBloot

Feeling old
It's a hard call to leave somewhere like Nth Wenty Falls
As you have no safegaurd against ember attack which is the most likely scenario (i think)

Anyway, my wife is so worried about me staying I will leave around 11
And to be honest, the way that wind is howling and heating up already
I would have so much doo doo in my pants i may just be a mess anyway

Good luck everyone and i hope we're all calling each other dickheads on Thursday :p

JP

Likes Dirt
I hope everyone stays safe. Look after yourselves and each other. In no way was I telling people not to evacuate or take precautions. I agree with 0psi, if you are unsure as to what your tactics are if a fire reaches your house it is best to leave early and stay well away.

The weather is lovely down here at the moment, and I hope it stays that way.

scblack

Leucocholic
How LOUD was the thunder storm last night? At 1am I was woken by the biggest cracks of thunder I can recall, and my kids came screaming into the bedroom. A short burst of rain too. That was very unexpected and only VERY short too.

Hopefully that rain hit the fire region a good bit.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
How LOUD was the thunder storm last night? At 1am I was woken by the biggest cracks of thunder I can recall, and my kids came screaming into the bedroom. A short burst of rain too. That was very unexpected and only VERY short too.

Hopefully that rain hit the fire region a good bit.
From all the carbon in the air perhaps?

0psi

Eats Squid
From all the carbon in the air perhaps?
Na, I ran around with a net collecting all that yesterday, I wanted new handle bars! :first:

I think we'll end up leaving, it's getting very warm already and the winds are picking up. We'd probably be fine but I'm a little concerned that the highway might get impacted further down the mountain. I just can't be bothered dealing with the stress. We moved a bit of stuff down to the mother in laws last night and we're well insured. It's kinda funny though, I was packing up stuff last night and while packing up my race wheels I looked at my disk wheel, picked it up, then put it back. Figured my wheel was a Gen 1 wheel and the Gen 2 wheels are a bit better! Stay safe out there guys!

Last edited:

Hew

Likes Dirt
Turns out Bodington did get evac'd this morning. I hear that Springwood hospital and a few other homes have been evac'd also. It's not looking like we are going to end up getting asked to leave, only advised to.

I went for a stickybeak around north Blackheath and Springwood today. Blackheath seems to be pretty well controlled, but then again I couldn't see much. Much the same with springwood. Despite the constant well informed updates from the firies on the net, it's pretty hard to tell what's going on.

The wind is strong and it's warming up, but it's blowing a southerly where I am, which is a good thing, for us at least. We're staying. Although with this wind I really don't know what's going to happen.

I share your concern 0psi. I'm worried that something will happen at springwood blocking the highway and we'll be trapped. I'm prepared to drive through some gardens if necessary though!

0psi

Eats Squid
I hear that Springwood hospital and a few other homes have been evac'd also. It's not looking like we are going to end up getting asked to leave, only advised to.
Hospital got evac'd a few days ago and a few of the age care facilities including Bucklands got evac'd yesterday. I think this was a double whammy precaution as getting old folks out isn't the easiest and they may not cope too well if it gets really smoky.

We're still here in Springwood but the wind just keeps getting worse. They are still waterbombing in Faulconbridge and we're hearing a lot more sirens now. Fortunately I can keep an eye on the Highway from my place so if the highway gets busy or fires start getting out of control then we'll leave, which ever comes first. So far it's looking pretty good.

I hear Mt. York has flared up quite badly but is still within containment lines. Reports are suggesting that the GWH may be closed at some point further up the mountain as a result of this so if your escape plan was to head west you may want to look at doing that soon. I'd wager that if the containment lines at Mt. York are broken it's more than likely the highway will be closed.

Edit: Houses now threatened near the Norman Lindsay gallery, 22 tankers on scene.

Last edited:

Hew

Likes Dirt
Hospital got evac'd a few days ago and a few of the age care facilities including Bucklands got evac'd yesterday. I think this was a double whammy precaution as getting old folks out isn't the easiest and they may not cope too well if it gets really smoky.

We're still here in Springwood but the wind just keeps getting worse. They are still waterbombing in Faulconbridge and we're hearing a lot more sirens now. Fortunately I can keep an eye on the Highway from my place so if the highway gets busy or fires start getting out of control then we'll leave, which ever comes first. So far it's looking pretty good.

I hear Mt. York has flared up quite badly but is still within containment lines. Reports are suggesting that the GWH may be closed at some point further up the mountain as a result of this so if your escape plan was to head west you may want to look at doing that soon. I'd wager that if the containment lines at Mt. York are broken it's more than likely the highway will be closed.
I didn't realise the fire at Faulco was so bad!

Would you be able to post up before you leave, if the highway starts getting really busy? Would be a big help to us up the mountains!

That's the impression I got from the fire up there. Our plan is Sydney, although it's looking more and more risky each day. The question is, if the highways get blocked/are about to be, do we get out, or wait at home and hope that by the time the fire gets to our place the highway will be open again? Decisions..

0psi

Eats Squid
Would you be able to post up before you leave, if the highway starts getting really busy? Would be a big help to us up the mountains!
Will do mate. I'm at the intersection of GWH, Moorcourt ave and Ferguson rd, the traffic lights and western entrance to Springwood CBD. I'll post up if it gets busy or when we leave. Things still looking quite clear atm, no more traffic than this time on a typical weekday.

The waterbombers are still out up here, I can hear them overhead now. I gather they've been grounded further up the mountain due to wind.

I've also heard a rumour (I stress a rumour) we can expect a forced evac in Springwood later this afternoon. If there's any truth to this we'll look at leaving before that to avoid adding to the traffic.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
if the highways get blocked/are about to be, do we get out, or wait at home and hope that by the time the fire gets to our place the highway will be open again? Decisions..
If you are above the road works I'd seriously consider leaving. We were tossing up staying and defending (probably just embers where we are) but after having some time to pack up the car we've decided will leave at the first sign of danger.

If I were above the road works I'd be gone. Keep in mind the bottle neck that will be created though the road works and if there is an accident on the single lane sections of road works it will be really shit.
Take a little time to pack up the car with a bit more than you normally would and get out. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Hew

Likes Dirt
If you are above the road works I'd seriously consider leaving. We were tossing up staying and defending (probably just embers where we are) but after having some time to pack up the car we've decided will leave at the first sign of danger.

If I were above the road works I'd be gone. Keep in mind the bottle neck that will be created though the road works and if there is an accident on the single lane sections of road works it will be really shit.
Take a little time to pack up the car with a bit more than you normally would and get out. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
I doubt that we will come under attack other than just embers. I'm on the south side of wenty, in the sticks essentially. Red zone, though. We've already put the valuables (bikes) in a secure storage place in Lawson. Lots of concrete and in the industrial area; in my head a fair bit safer then our place. The roads are really my main concern. I will take your advice on board. I know how full on the highway can get, with just one incident.

Hew

Likes Dirt
Will do mate. I'm at the intersection of GWH, Moorcourt ave and Ferguson rd, the traffic lights and western entrance to Springwood CBD. I'll post up if it gets busy or when we leave. Things still looking quite clear atm, no more traffic than this time on a typical weekday.

The waterbombers are still out up here, I can hear them overhead now. I gather they've been grounded further up the mountain due to wind.
Thanks mate, big help. It's so windy up here I really doubt they're able to get out there.

notime

Likes Dirt
That sucks Craig but better off leaving, I hope your stuff stays safe.

The old man is in Chappo, he elected to stay when they asked about an hour or so ago but is now regretting it I think, he sounds nervous. They have been told to bunker in the room furthest from the fire front and they have units outside protecting the propery, I can't see anything changing for the next few hours. I'm sitting here at Hazo it's so clear but that wind is really starting to go in all directions. I'm Looking down the hill towards springwood Faulconbridge just wondering what is happening, a lot of bloody smoke.

Last edited: