NSW Bushfires 17/10

scblack

Leucocholic
There is a big one raging not far west of me - western Sydney. A bit spooky and VERY VERY gusty winds.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Twelve years ago I busted through a Police road block that stopped people from going near a bushfire approaching a friends house. Myself, my mate who owned the home and two other households in an area containing twenty six homes saved all all of those homes bar one with the help of one rural fire truck and two splashes from Elvis. It was the most terrifying experience I'll ever want to come across but I'm so glad I did what I could.
Good luck people, here's hoping that southerly comes along and puts the fire out.

JP

Likes Dirt
No air cranes but choppers with buckets down at Windsor/Richmond/Marsden Park. The house which burned down on Hawkesbury Rd in Winmalee/Hawkesbury Heights is about 500 metres from my joint. It was pretty full on for a while there. The wind was bullshit!!! Luckily our house was upwind from the main fire, but only by a few hundred metres. It was surreal watching the fire burn away from us.

It is shaping up to be a prick of a summer!

Look after yourselves and each other.

0psi

Eats Squid
No air cranes but choppers with buckets down at Windsor/Richmond/Marsden Park. The house which burned down on Hawkesbury Rd in Winmalee/Hawkesbury Heights is about 500 metres from my joint. It was pretty full on for a while there. The wind was bullshit!!! Luckily our house was upwind from the main fire, but only by a few hundred metres. It was surreal watching the fire burn away from us.

It is shaping up to be a prick of a summer!

Look after yourselves and each other.
I was thinking about you brother. Glad to hear all is well. Have they got you out on the front line yet?

Did the fire get any of the Blue Gum Swamp loop? I remember riding behind the nursery just after they back burned, it was so different.

JP

Likes Dirt
They hazard reduced to the north of Shaw's Ridge down to Lynch's Creek at Yarramundi, so none of the loop is gone as far as I know.

The winds are picking up again, and I believe strong winds are forecast for the rest of the night.

Apparently they have bulldozer's out at Yellow Rock trying to dig a control line. That should do sweet FA. The fire will jump right over it in these conditions.

0psi

Eats Squid
Winmalee fire has been upgraded to watch and act if anyone is in the area.

No homes under threat and all roads still open at this stage.

0psi

Eats Squid
Everyone okay out there?

Was standing in my driveway looking at a fire earlier today and had a few friends who've had to evacuate, probably a few that have lost their homes too. Sad times all over the state today, just heart breaking.

Hew

Likes Dirt
Everyone okay out there?

Was standing in my driveway looking at a fire earlier today and had a few friends who've had to evacuate, probably a few that have lost their homes too. Sad times all over the state today, just heart breaking.
I'm in wenty. We're fine for the moment. A friend in our group lost their house completely this afternoon and another very nearly, too.

My main concern is that if the fire at Springwood causes a road closure and the road to lithgow is closed... Where will we all go if we need to leave?

I did training with the CFU (community fire unit) recently and found out there is not a single place in the mountains that is classes as safe to go in an emergency. Bit scary to be honest.

JP

Likes Dirt
Man, it was bullshit. I was winding down at work yesterday as I started annual leave today. Just took a bite from my Chocolate Truffle Magnum when we got the call to wires down on Hawkesbury Rd. We were sent up from Penrith to Winmalee, but when we saw the smoke cloud we knew it wasn't just wires down! I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a fire move so fast!

We pulled up just shy of St. Columbas and in the time it took me to get the pump into gear 3 houses lit up like massive candles. It's a terrible feeling watching a house burn to the ground and all you can do is protect the houses on either side. The hydrants ran dry in about 10 minutes, and no matter how many trucks tried, nobody could get in front of this fucking fire. We rescued 2 chickens and a dog, which pissed in the truck.

Singles Ridge Rd, Beuna Vista, and Heather Glen Rds all got torn an absolute new one. The messages being sent were "House alight, 2 crews at work" 30 seconds later "House fully consumed, protecting exposures, water almost out". The footage on tv doesn't come close to relaying the destruction that has occurred. A conservative count would be 100 homes totally consumed. Houses are still burning now, and will be for a good while yet.

Well done to the RFS volunteer firefighters. I get paid to do this shit for a living so am sort of used to it (to a certain extent). A lot of these guys wouldn't have been anywhere near a fire front this intense and they held their ground in some absolutely bullshit conditions.

It is like a movie. Power lines down everywhere, smouldering ruins, cars abandoned on the side of the road, people crying. My heart aches seeing my neighbours like this.

Those that know me know that I wouldn't work in an iron lung, but to show how hard yesterday was I started the day at 84.4 kg's and after my shower at 0200 hrs this morning before bed I weighed 83.2 kg's.

Stay safe everyone and please help those that have lost everything.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Hey JP - glad the sense of humour is still intact mate
I sent Todd a message this morning as I was thinking about you guys down there
Conditions yesterday were disgusting and I was sitting here thinking of all the fire fighters in that crazy wind
Michelle was told to leave work at Lithgow, and by the time she got to Katoomba, Mt York was going up
And Springwood/ Winmalee seemed to just explode

Been expecting a bad fire for a year or two now, but nothing would prepare anyone for what went on yesterday

0psi

Eats Squid
Man, it was bullshit. -Snip- The footage on tv doesn't come close to relaying the destruction that has occurred.
Yup. I was looking at the Springwood fire from my driveway and nothing could prepare me for the State Mine fire. Getting to the top of the hill at Katoomba the horizon looked worse than a war zone.

The mood in Springwood is very sombre, it's just heartbreaking. I've had a few friends who are yet to return home and don't yet know if they have a house to return to.

Thankfully conditions are a lot better this morning but I hear they are set to deteriorate later in the week. Stay safe everyone and JP I've got a six pack here with your name on it.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
heartfelt thanks go to everyone who's helped and is currently helping with the firefighting, stay safe tho people. my women's forum are also organising donations of food, clothing and shelter to those who are in need.

JP

Likes Dirt
I've tried contacting The Todd too but to no avail. If the fire didn't hit the section of the street where his house is, it would've come within a bee's dick of it.