Cairns World Cup!!

Gripo

Eats Squid
That XC track is one I'd love to ride.....looks like a normal mtnbike trail to me...

Must say the XC coverage has been great, along with the riding.

Looks like a FNQ trip is on the cards, but in winter!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
That XC track is one I'd love to ride.....looks like a normal mtnbike trail to me...

Must say the XC coverage has been great, along with the riding.

Looks like a FNQ trip is on the cards, but in winter!
I just want to check out the ladder and find out if I'm a girl or a mountain biker

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Keen to know from the mods - as this is the first time in a while we have had a WC round here.... Has the site seen more than the usual traffic from new members?

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
Anyone else find the DH fun and exciting to watch but the XC a bit dull? Like someone previously mentioned... would be awsome to see DH in the olympics

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Gripo

Eats Squid
Anyone else find the DH fun and exciting to watch but the XC a bit dull? Like someone previously mentioned... would be awsome to see DH in the olympics

Perspectives I guess.....

I love DH but found the track and camera angles didn't translate for me on TV....but

Thisarvo I found the XC interesting why?

It was a trail that most of us are likely to ride if we visited the area and the racing was rather competitive right till the last lap....the winner? dropped to 10th halfway through with a flat tyre and came back....great TV.

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
Yea the coverage was a lot better for XC over the DH, I look forward to having a ride in cairns. I was only there last month! Time to book another trip and take my bike up

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I still really wished they showed the whoops section.

Been watching some videos of that section and it would have been one of the bestest places to cover.

High speed, high action, high crowd noise.

Imagine the comments from Warner if they showed that section :(

From listening to the commentary on the XC event today, it sounds like there's a potential for the WC coming back next year, if true, fingers crossed they film the whoops section.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'll be watching the XC a bit later myself.

Another thing that sucked about the DH coverage - where was the fucking drone cam??!

Seriously, how could they have not made that happen?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found the XC more interesting then the downhill as the coverage was heaps better. The track looked awesome. my kids even watched it with out whinging to change the channel.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I'll be watching the XC a bit later myself.

Another thing that sucked about the DH coverage - where was the fucking drone cam??!

Cool idea.

Imagine having a drone following riders down from the gap and through the whoops and big jumps.

-Drools

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Two reasons
1 - It is a rain forest, have a look at XC helicopter footage you might happen to notice a few trees around obscuring the track from the air. The DH is even less open than the XC
2 - I was at the venue, at one point mid DH finals several drones were flying over the crowd. They were warned off over the PA, reason being is the control frequencies interfered with communications apparently

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I realise it was in the raid forest, there were sill a number of spots it could have been used. The evidence for that is the drones you discuss in the second point. But interference is obviously a prob.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Cool idea.

Imagine having a drone following riders down from the gap and through the whoops and big jumps.

-Drools
Not far away - I've seen drones that are programmed to follow a transmitter - so it can be programmed to autonomously stay 20 feet behind and 6 ft above while avoiding any obstacles - when that's foolproof, that ll be the best picture in the house

MarioM

Likes Dirt
So , how are the cameras set up wired or wireless if they exist ? Why can`t they string the length of the track ? Cost would be prohibitive i imagine .Then if done would you show top ten or twenty full race runs ? If pay per view option was available for full runs i would definately be on to it .
Having said that i think its still great we get to watch some of it for free .The XC had better coverage i think and really showed some of the technical aspects of the course .I`m an XC guy but the DH is definately the highlight of any world cup event . Can anyone remember if the freecaster footage was better ?

4dabush

Likes Dirt
TV coverage for the DH was a logistical and materials issue, not really anything else. XC is quite compact and doesnt need excessively long TV camera leads (live feed is not wireless according to the guys I was speaking to who follow and film for the tour around the world). Our track is 1.9kms long in pretty inaccessible areas....no easy chairlift routes to follow!

The leads required to get to the whoops need to be about 1km long, the speed trap is about another 300m, the triple/double/triple, a couple hundred more, and then Alien Tree. Vines is about 300m after the whoops, but still about 800m from the event centre...each camera is on its own lead...what you got was as far as they could extend all the leads they had - this time. They are on the hunt to ensure there are an extra few camera points next time, and an extra container of lead, and probably a helicopter to lay and retrieve them (not kidding).

As for the Rock Garden, the camera angle was as good as you would get without an additional camera. Its really quite an awkward area to film. Clear out the spectators, and the camera would see the stacks...good luck with that - I could barely keep them from stretching the bunting into the racing line!

The Rock Garden actually goes through a 180 degree turn and the exit is probably 10m or so behind the entrance. There are 2 main lines and at least 3 combination lines which makes it quite wide.

Hope that explains a bit.