Formula One world championship

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Bleh. You want noise, go the top fuel meet. Bleeding edge technology is no longer incredibly noisy and that isn't changing any time soon.
Top of the line technology? The cars are slower than they were ten years ago, they look fucking ridiculous and sound horrible. To me, this is the essence of Formula One: Sitting trackside and hearing one car do a full lap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT36kC2pwAc
Some German media are saying Vettel is partly to blame for the low attendance of the German Grand Prix after he said the cars sound shit. While I reckon it's pretty rich to say it's Vettel's fault, I do believe attendance will drop immensely in 2015 as the show doesn't stand out from any other formula. It needs to change and it needs to change fast as we'll end up seeing the category die a slow death.
Bring back the noise.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I am enjoying this season immensely, not missing the noise at all.

BUT, I have only been trackside once, watched on TV for many years. The cars may be slower, but there is no way you can tell by eye watching them. And slower cars = more overtaking opportunity = better racing.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The racing is much better this year, especially the Redbulls and Red Fazzas (sorry Scarlet Fazzas). The noise doesn't bother me as much as the Ch10 coverage does!

willsy01

Eats Squid
Top of the line technology? The cars are slower than they were ten years ago, they look fucking ridiculous and sound horrible. To me, this is the essence of Formula One: Sitting trackside and hearing one car do a full lap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT36kC2pwAc
Some German media are saying Vettel is partly to blame for the low attendance of the German Grand Prix after he said the cars sound shit. While I reckon it's pretty rich to say it's Vettel's fault, I do believe attendance will drop immensely in 2015 as the show doesn't stand out from any other formula. It needs to change and it needs to change fast as we'll end up seeing the category die a slow death.
Bring back the noise.
They are hardly slower. Hamilton was trapping 34Xkm/h at one point......there were suggestions that they could scrape into the 37Xkm/h range at Monza. Besides they can't allow them to be THAT much faster anymore......it's too dangerous, and not from a drivers perspective. Someone please think of the marshalls.

As for the sound, when you look at the other things that Bernie and his team of merry dickheads are trying to acheive.......the sound is waaaaaaaaaaaay down the bottom. Personally, I think they're fine. The noise is VERY little in difference to the 80s era of V6 turbos. The fact you can attend without having to wear earplugs works for me.

In terms of the competition itself, think of it this way......this time 20yrs ago, Schumacher had ALREADY wrapped up the championship. There's still half the bloody season left!!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Bring back the noise.
I'm no master of demographics but I'd hazard a guess that 'FUCKING GERMANY WINNING THE FUCKING WORLD CUP!' the previous weekend probably had the most to with the poor turnout.

Even those German blokes who hadn't blown the family David Hasselhoff memorabillia budget on flying over to Brazil for a month most likely spent the previous 4 weeks in front of the telly or down the bier halle.

There are only so many 'leave passes' a man can get...

As for the noise, I do miss it but seeing as even on a good year I would only get to watch 1 (possibly 2) Grand Prix from trackside as opposed to 18 or so on the telly or in loud pubs with the volume turned down, it's not as much of an issue.

If I look back at the last 6 or 7 years and the amount of thrilling wheel-wheel battles and close championship finishes we've had (remember Seb's 4 WDCs weren't all walkovers) and then compare it to the procession dominated 'Schumacher years', I know which era I prefer!

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Top of the line technology? The cars are slower than they were ten years ago, they look fucking ridiculous and sound horrible. To me, this is the essence of Formula One.
How is a high performance power plant based around energy recovery not top of the line technology? Kind of makes a normally aspirated V8 look prehistoric.

I really couldn't give a shit about superficial stuff like the dick nose saga and the low engine volumes, IMO, its been one of the most entertaining racing I've seen in years. :Shrug:

driftking

Wheel size expert
How is a high performance power plant based around energy recovery not top of the line technology? Kind of makes a normally aspirated V8 look prehistoric.

I really couldn't give a shit about superficial stuff like the dick nose saga and the low engine volumes, IMO, its been one of the most entertaining racing I've seen in years. :Shrug:
I am inclined to agree.
It is top technology.
Is it focused on speed only? No.
It's focused on what front line technology we need and is worthy to run down.
Technology is only good if we can use it and no one wants a gas guzzle machine anymore the big engines are no longer forefront but old technology's, front Line now is power and performance at low cost/high efficiency. They are mimicking this in f1, this goes with thier idea that f1 should be the forefront of car technology.

The reduction in fuel and improvement in energy systems is the forefront of future driving.

The cars have to be engineered better to produce the same lap times with less fuel and more downforce with less use of air blowing/difuser.

I do think though f1's strict rules has drastically reduced thier ability to be on the forefront and develop beyond what is realistic due to safety.

Personally while I agree it is still forefront within the rules I would like to see them remain the all out speed category and be allowed much more freedom with car design.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
All good points dudes, keep it coming. I think the example of the Red Bull and Ferrari races we've seen this year is more a case of the cars being slower than what we're used to and the coverage is focusing on that because of the driver and teams involved. Most of the great racing happens in the lower end of the points and the mid field, not usually at the front.

Here's an interesting link: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28553.html On current form; where would Alonso go that is anything competitive other than Mercedes? Williams is the next best thing on form but they have been very hit and miss over the years.

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
Every time I think about the rules I change my mind, but at the moment, I would love to see the return of refueling... Letting teams start with different fuel amounts will give them more strategy and possibly give even more passing opportunities. If you qualify poorly, you could start the race with low fuel and super soft tires which could make things interesting for 15 laps especially if there is a safety car around the time your tires go off.

Having said that, I might change my mind tomorrow.

Not a fan of the proposed/confirmed standing race re-starts after safety cars though.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
...I think the example of the Red Bull and Ferrari races we've seen this year is more a case of the cars being slower than what we're used to and the coverage is focusing on that because of the driver and teams involved. Most of the great racing happens in the lower end of the points and the mid field, not usually at the front...
Same as previous years though. When Seb was way out in front the cameras watched the conga line behind with the hope someone would be able to squeeze past or Maldonardo would wipe out a few at least this year we seem to have some genuine racing and it has been close. Even Lewis barging his way through the other night was interesting. Mostly interesting how strong his car was!

Given the crashes that have occurred straight after the start I can only assume that is what is wanted with the standing restarts. Really it beggars belief. The only thing about the safety car restarts that bothers me is how long it takes once the track is clear.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
The only thing about the safety car restarts that bothers me is how long it takes once the track is clear.
Exactly.

I think they should just pick up the lead car, lapped cars stay in the queue where they are. Much quicker restarts, and a bit of action as people start clearing the lapped cars.

Standing restarts is almost criminally negligent.

takai

Eats Squid
Nah. Having lapped traffic has caused some decent incidents in the past. I reckon they just get overtaken/filter back under sc and pretend they are back on the lead lap.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Nah. Having lapped traffic has caused some decent incidents in the past. I reckon they just get overtaken/filter back under sc and pretend they are back on the lead lap.
They do stay in position for most of the time I have only seen a few races where cars were than told to unlap the field.

They can't filter back.
Partly because f1 cars are hard to see behind so that might cause issues although unlikely.
The big issue I see is that by falling back those cars now carry extra fuel while been given that lap back. Because fuel is a big factor now this gives them more fighting power or they have the controled fuel rate but now carry more fuel and therefore loss time. Tire wear would also be a contributor partly but in f1 we know even half a lap can be a big factor of wear.

The best way would be for the cars that are unlapping had the target time removed so they could hit the track at full speed while double yellow driving in the affected area. The big issue is they still need to stick to the target time under safety car and this slows the time down it takes them to get back in line.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Allow me to fuel the rumour mill with a prediction:
Mercedes 2015 line-up will be Max Verstappen and Nico Rosberg.

Also, looks like Baku (Azerbaijan) is going ahead in 2016, which is awesome news. Seriously, if you think Singapore has some neat looking scenery, wait til you see Baku. It's 11th century meets The Jetsons.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
My plan of having Merc start at the back of every race for our entertainment is working nicely.

I pitched the idea to Toto Wolff during the week but he said that it was crap, so I jumped on a plane and headed to Germany where I kicked the shit out of him (the bike crash is just a cover story).

He agreed to tamper with Lewis’ car but couldn’t bring himself to touch the German boy.

Fire away tinfoil hat wearers.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Mercedes are just jelos that Hamilton is the best driver f al time and Rosberg is a cheat he isnt even German. Lewis will wipe the floor wiv him even from last plays unless mercedes sabotadge his car again which they will becasue their to scared of him. I cant believe they would set fire to his car though that is total dangerous and they should be investigated for attempted murder because what if it went wrong but they wont because the FIA and the Police all want Mercedes to win.

go lewis!!!