Formula One world championship

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I am actually (seriously) wondering if Alan Jones is starting to be suffering from something that's affecting his ability to remember details, put together sentences - Particularly in the last four months or so the number of strange mistakes I've noticed him make - wrong names, being completely lost for words - it really is becoming hard to not notice. I can't be sure whether he would always make occasional mistakes in the past, and because it was just occasional I wouldn't notice them, but lately it's a small handful every race weekend.
Here's an extract from the Wiki that I tailored to suit the forums; Re: Alan Jones.

Born sometime a fair while ago, he did stuff and won a world championship in Formula One with Williams. All the tracks have changed since then and all the fun bits have been taken out and aren't much fun now. Since winning the title he's used his fame and riches to court tons of hookers, smoke cheap ciggies and drink heaps of piss. He's got some dirt on a couple of television broadcast companies and has made them allow him to be a guest presenter on race broadcasts for some unknown fucking reason. His recent years of self indulgence from his hefty pay for expert opinions has cooked whatever was left in his brain and his memory is shot. He drinks beer at 6am, thinks Herman Tilke is a school teacher and cannot fit in a race car of any sort.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Here's an extract from the Wiki that I tailored to suit the forums; Re: Alan Jones.

Born sometime a fair while ago, he did stuff and won a world championship in Formula One with Williams. All the tracks have changed since then and all the fun bits have been taken out and aren't much fun now. Since winning the title he's used his fame and riches to court tons of hookers, smoke cheap ciggies and drink heaps of piss. He's got some dirt on a couple of television broadcast companies and has made them allow him to be a guest presenter on race broadcasts for some unknown fucking reason. His recent years of self indulgence from his hefty pay for expert opinions has cooked whatever was left in his brain and his memory is shot. He drinks beer at 6am, thinks Herman Tilke is a school teacher and cannot fit in a race car of any sort.

Hahaha.
From his Channel Ten bio:

"Alan Jones is a former Formula One race car driver from Australia. He is most widely known for being the only WDC winner to be disallowed from ever living in Monte Carlo, Switzerland or any big posh stately homes in Buckinghamshire on the grounds of being a grumpy old arse"

willsy01

Eats Squid
RE: Hamilton v Button - Jenson wouldn't have seen when he turned back in. Those mirrors are as useful as a dick flavoured lollipop. Lewis thought he was yielding but Jenson had gone a little deep. They've both acknowedged this......move on, nothing more to see, racing incident etc etc.

RE: Hamilton's thoughts about Sutil and the safety car - I think they're justified. It's completely and utterly wrong that marshalls entered the track to move that car when they did.....even if it was under double yellows. That was 100000000% a safety car situation.

Other than that, sweet race. Given the lack of straight line speed, RIC had a stunning drive........his tussling with Alonso was just A-grade steering.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
RE: Hamilton's thoughts about Sutil and the safety car - I think they're justified. It's completely and utterly wrong that marshalls entered the track to move that car when they did.....even if it was under double yellows. That was 100000000% a safety car situation.
Hamilton's thoughts are that there is somehow a conspiracy at work. presumably on the part of Charlie Whiting.
That's not justified, it's ludicrous!

It was double-yellow flags so the drivers had to slow down and prepare to stop if necessary. Sutil was parked well off the driving line and far enough past the corner so that the car was clearly visible from the corner and there was no debris to be cleaned up so the track marshals would not be on the track for long.

All a safety car would do is add an extra car onto the track and cause chaos with all the lapped cars having to unlap themselves.

Last edited:

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the same situation happened with Lewis in the lead and nico chasing there would be none of this wailing and gnashing of teeth. It's laughable. The guy just loves drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Aaaaand the work experience boy at channel ten has now remembered to put up part 3. So he put it up twice, just to be sure. #pro.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The removal of the FRIC device was widely discussed prior to the race but it's seemed to be non existent now, no one even mentioned it in the commentary and the removal of the device didn't seem to nail one team or promote any other team that wasn't using it. I was surprised.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The removal of the FRIC device was widely discussed prior to the race but it's seemed to be non existent now, no one even mentioned it in the commentary and the removal of the device didn't seem to nail one team or promote any other team that wasn't using it. I was surprised.
Turns out it was pretty friccing useless.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Instead of being remembered as the year that Mercedes dominated it might be remembered as the year of the Alonso duels with everyone else, there has been some spectacular wheel to wheel stuff. Daniel held Lewis at bay for longer than I expected. As for the lap one crash is there something scripted? At the drivers meeting are they told one of you guys do some dumb shit at the first corner to spice it up. As for the Lewis Jenson touch I think Lewis took for granted that his former team mate would move out of the way and made the move way too far back. Lewis was definitely carving it up and at one point when he was following Daniel I thought he had clipped Daniel's rear with the front wing. And finally I thought there would be a SC at the end, the SC has been brought out for far less. Oh and willsy if you mention special lollipops again and we will have Moorey in here, you know he searches for his favourite word...

Big AC

Likes Dirt
F1 needs a new rule whereby both Mercs are made to start from the rear of the grid at every race just for our entertainment. At most races they’d still get to the front and win, we’d just get a great show along the way.

The Massa / Magnussen stack was a racing incident. If I had to apportion blame I’d put more on Massa, 2 wide into the first corner of the race is standard and Magnessen had some overlap from quiet early on.

Hopefully Ch10 work out that Jones has turned into a bit of a bumbling old fool and doesn’t renew his contract next year.

driftking

Wheel size expert
good race. Dan got rooted off the start, not so much as massa, his having some seriously bad luck this season. Clear racing incident that one.
Button Hamilton I think was nothing to see there it was just a misunderstanding on both parts and button would have had not vision.

The safety car argument. I'm not sure, double waved yellows off the driving line, however it only takes one car to over cook it or have a issue and shoot across the track or have something shoot across the track and kill a marshall. I'm not sure it was very much out of the way and they have done that in the past at other tracks. I'm on the fence I think it was a close call.

Good race lots of tension and battles. Was stoked to see dan get back up there and only lose 2 points to alonso.
keen to see how the aero redbulls go next weekend.

What was the reasoning behind ditching the suspension system? I didn't catch why they did it.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The safety car argument. I'm not sure, double waved yellows off the driving line, however it only takes one car to over cook it or have a issue and shoot across the track or have something shoot across the track and kill a marshall.
You've got more chance of a russian surface-air-missile shooting across the track!

Sutil's car could be seen for miles, they've all got radio comms and the marshals aren't going to run out on the track until it's been deemed by race control that any approaching drivers are aware of the flags and have slowed down as per the regulations for double-yellow flags.

All a safety car would do is have them all scrambling around trying to get in the right order of procession and have it so that only the front driver can see anything other than the arse end of the car in front.

That doesn't really sound that much safer in this instance.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
TBH I'm not sure a safety car would have given us anything more than a mercedes 1-2 with Rosberg still on the top of the podium? A lot of laps would have been lost by cars unlapping themselves and whilst Rosberg would have lost a lot of his lead, he would have a much clearer track ahead of him after the restart than he did when the field was spread out.

When was the last time anyone can remember someone losing the lead straight after a safety car?

akashra

Eats Squid
F1 needs a new rule whereby both Mercs are made to start from the rear of the grid at every race just for our entertainment. At most races they’d still get to the front and win, we’d just get a great show along the way.
It wouldn't be unreasonable to add stupid rules in like saying "once you've won the championship and can't mathematically be overtaken, you're required to pit every 10 laps"... stupid things like that for our entertainment ;D

The Massa / Magnussen stack was a racing incident. If I had to apportion blame I’d put more on Massa, 2 wide into the first corner of the race is standard and Magnessen had some overlap from quiet early on.
IMO fit the best definition of a racing incident we've seen in a long time. Massa had no way of even knowing Magnussen was there outside guessing, Magnussen did nothing wrong.

You've got more chance of a russian surface-air-missile shooting across the track!
oooh. oooh. wow. Too soon.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The safety car argument. I'm not sure, double waved yellows off the driving line, however it only takes one car to over cook it or have a issue and shoot across the track or have something shoot across the track and kill a marshall. I'm not sure it was very much out of the way and they have done that in the past at other tracks. I'm on the fence I think it was a close call
No one is safe whenever Grosjean and Maldonado are in the same postcode.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
TBH I'm not sure a safety car would have given us anything more than a mercedes 1-2 with Rosberg still on the top of the podium? A lot of laps would have been lost by cars unlapping themselves and whilst Rosberg would have lost a lot of his lead, he would have a much clearer track ahead of him after the restart than he did when the field was spread out.

When was the last time anyone can remember someone losing the lead straight after a safety car?
If there was more than 7-8 laps left after the safety car had pulled in then Hamilton might have gotten Rosberg (I think there was about 17 left when Sutil dropped it). Fresh options on Hamilton vs somewhat used primes on Rosberg, the speed difference would have been at least to 2 seconds a lap. Vettel was already out of the way because of his pit stop and Bottas would have been easy with fresh tyres (Alonso would have been out of the way by turn 2). We’ll never know than answer but it would have been great to watch.