Totally Over Magpies

mtb1611

Seymour
And if I ever see anyone (or anyone's kid) throwing things at magpies I will throw a brick at them (or their kid). People like this are probably the same arseholes that think killing sharks is going to make beaches safer... :tsk:
haha you flappers are a bunch of dress wearing old men

The only reason Maggies attack is because they have been attacked,
think of that next time your kids or you throw stones at them
Is there a "Wanker Pair of the Year" award on Rotorburn? If so, I think we have our winners.

Magpies attack due to instinct; in much the same way that parents choose to place the welfare of their children over that of a bird. Check the pictures at the top of page 28 - you know, the one with the young girl minus an eye?

Halfwits.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My new office has a big ledge outside my window, and it seems to be a popular resting spot for magpies. I often get treated to a little song in the afternoon.

One of the very few things I like about Canberra is all the native birds. In the "city" if you sit on a public bench to eat something, you'll quickly have a maggie land next you and look pointedly at your lunch - "Oi - monkey boy! Cough it up!".

There are a few pigeons, but they huddle in nervous looking small groups - maggies rule this town :reckon:

and if magpie attacks are worst the poor widdle kiddies have to deal with, I reckon they're doing ok. Its a wild animal, it does what it does and to attack it in return displays a singular deficiency (oops bloody safari autocorrect...) of evolution...

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
and if magpie attacks are worst the poor widdle kiddies have to deal with, I reckon they're doing ok. Its a wild animal, it does what it does and to attack it in return displays a singular deficinecy of evolution...
I'm guessing you're not a parent (if you are, I pity your offspring on several levels). Have you actually looked at the photographs in this thread, those of injured children? I personally know of children who have been injured by magpies; one child was actually struck by a car whilst running away in fear from a magpie, one who was alive purely because local conservationists objected to it being culled, despite it being located IN a large primary school and having injured several children.

I'm certainly not advocating the wholesale culling of a species however if an individual animal presents an inherent danger to children, cull 'em. If you're unable to see the logic in that you're personifying the "deficinecy" (oh the irony) of evolution.

Last edited:

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At least we dont have brown bears. They are scary, magpies are not. Nearly faced it into a powerful owl a couple of weeks ago on a night ride, head on and just ducked quick enough that he glanced off the skid lid. My local kamikaze ear eater hasn't started up yet, cant be long...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Nearly faced it into a powerful owl a couple of weeks ago on a night ride, head on and just ducked quick enough that he glanced off the skid lid.
Wow, bet that got your attention!

I prefer dodging kamikazi maggies to dodging SUVs...

stirk

Burner
As a kid we wore ice cream containers on our heads like helmets and it was fun but in the back yard only I guess different in public.

Don't you just put heaps of cable ties sticking up in your helmet to scare them off??

Warwick

Likes Dirt
Swooping gives me the creeps, goosebumps etc, it horrifies me out on the trail.
But I would never hurt one. They are fantastic smart animals, which live in tight family units. We have a couple of families of them in my street. Every year they come back and raise more kids, and every year they watch their kids eventually get hit by cars.
They never swoop me, but will swoop others they are not so familiar with.
Shitty instinct, and a shitty football team. Generally cool birds though.

driftking

Wheel size expert
You use some common sense.

You avoid where possible.
If they attack they are attacking because its their nature.
You run or use whatever means necessary to get away safe or protect your kids.
Once safe you leave it alone, You don't go on a bird vendetta, gather an army, dress up like rambo, paint your face and attack the magpie.

Like the sharks you can't enter their habituate than blame them for doing what they naturally do....well you can but its stupid.

Last edited:

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
And if I ever see anyone (or anyone's kid) throwing things at magpies I will throw a brick at them (or their kid). People like this are probably the same arseholes that think killing sharks is going to make beaches safer... :tsk:
Love the way some peoples heads work haha. Just like the green radicals threatening to kill hunters because they don't agree with what they do, physical violence (or the mere keyboard warrior threat of) is the order of the day lol. So to combat a child throwing a stone at a bird, you would hurl a brick at them? You wouldn't stop and at least try to explain your crazy theory and educate them? I must teach my kids the dangers of extremist types with brick sized bulges in their pockets haha. I love magpies, they are extremely switched on BUT they swoop. I hate magpies :)

John U

MTB Precision
You could look at the swooping like this, thank fuck the magpies only swoop me for 2 months of the year when they're protecting their young instead of all year round.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I think it adds to the outdoors experience. Embrace it!

diver1

Likes Bikes
they always come at me from behind, never in front were i can see them coming!! someone said glue some big eyes to the back of your helmet as they dont come if your looking at them but them pics of eye injurys prove that wrong, they reckon they hit the highest point thats why people do the cable tie thing, i might try that again, better than getting the ears hit!!

haltz

Likes Dirt
magpie season?

ive scored some sick shots of myself riding over time but this is almost my favourite
magpie swoop.jpg