How to Paint Frames (Plow Style)

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Hey bloke, walk away from it have a beer and rethink...... Can I ask why are you using a clear over? . 2pac should or in most cases needs to be BAKED on, if it isn't it will never harden off. What type of gun are you using and what is your nozzle size. I'll wait for your answer.........
Binner
I'm using clear for three reasons, 1) To protect the base coat, 2) To protect the decals, 3) To give it that nice gloss shine.

It's a spray can.
Olarenshaws auto paint store sold it to me and said it would be fine. They said nothing about baking. :(

Should I just strip it and redo the whole thing with standard clear?

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
I'm using clear for three reasons, 1) To protect the base coat, 2) To protect the decals, 3) To give it that nice gloss shine.

It's a spray can.
Olarenshaws auto paint store sold it to me and said it would be fine. They said nothing about baking. :(

Should I just strip it and redo the whole thing with standard clear?
Spray can= shit!

Strip it and take it to a powder coater, if its a standard color you are doing then tell the coater you are in no rush and to stitch it in when he is doing a color run, I pay 25 bucks a frame but sometimes I have to wait about a week for the color to be running thru the booth....
And if you really want a clear over powder then they can do that too, you shouldn't have to worry about clear after powder but .......

Forget spray cans man, you are wasting time and money!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
That's all well and good, but the color I want is custom and powdercoaters don't do it.
Plus I already have the custom cans sitting here.

The primer and base coat was flawless, it's just the clear that's garbage.
I'm going to strip it and try again using standard gloss clear, not that 2K rubbish.

Thankfully I only did the black rear first because I didn't want this happening with the front triangle using my custom cans.
At least now I've sussed out the problem and round 2 shouldn't be so bad.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Sounds to me like paint is either off or doesn't have enough hardener in it. Sucks dude but you may need to strip and start again.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
This is the 2K clear I was using.

Doesn't matter I guess, this is the sole reason I did the rear triangle first. In case any problems arise, it's less work to strip and I'm not wasting custom cans. :)

Last edited:

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
Thats really strange. Have never seen it in a can and not sure how it woukd work without the hardener going off. If your basecoats are 2pac acrylic clear wont stick to it and your job will chip easily

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
Spray can= shit!

Strip it and take it to a powder coater, if its a standard color you are doing then tell the coater you are in no rush and to stitch it in when he is doing a color run, I pay 25 bucks a frame but sometimes I have to wait about a week for the color to be running thru the booth....
And if you really want a clear over powder then they can do that too, you shouldn't have to worry about clear after powder but .......

Forget spray cans man, you are wasting time and money!
Nothing wrong with spray cans. It's the way you do the job. My bike looks as good as the day I sprayed it. Here's a link.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?276609-You-can-t-polish-a-turd!

redbruce

Eats Squid
May I ask what clear you used?

As I said before, my primer and base coat came up amazing and both were from rattle cans, it's just the 2K clear that fucked me.
My guess is incompatibility between base (colour) coats and clear.

What is the base coat paint type?

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
May I ask what clear you used?

As I said before, my primer and base coat came up amazing and both were from rattle cans, it's just the 2K clear that fucked me.
I used Rust Guard Clear Guard. Is the clear you used compatible with the paint. When I was painting mine I was told to not use one type of paint over another type of paint. Can't remember what types of paints it was. Might be something you want to check before you try again.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Coburg.
Why is that?
I could paint it for you? Work in Gisborne, been Spray Painting for 18yrs. You'll get a waaay better job if it's done properly in an oven etc. Just putting it out there dude! The offer is there. PM me if you wanna talk turkey. Cheers, Ben.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I could paint it for you? Work in Gisborne, been Spray Painting for 18yrs. You'll get a waaay better job if it's done properly in an oven etc. Just putting it out there dude! The offer is there. PM me if you wanna talk turkey. Cheers, Ben.
An offer to good to refuse.

Great community (forum) spirit!

SummitFever

Eats Squid
2K clear is like 2K primer. The 2K means its meant for/compatible with 2K paints. It does not mean that either the clear (or the primer) are 2-pack (eg. paint+hardener). It just means they are meant to be used under/over 2k colour coat(s).

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I used Rust Guard Clear Guard. Is the clear you used compatible with the paint. When I was painting mine I was told to not use one type of paint over another type of paint. Can't remember what types of paints it was. Might be something you want to check before you try again.
Well I bought my paint cans from Olarenshaws auto paint store all at once and the guy there suggested that particular clear.
I just figured he'd know what he was talking about. :/

Interesting offer, however I don't drive (don't own a car - living inner city and living 15 mins from work, etc.) so getting the frame to you would be a pain in itself.

I'll send you a PM regardless. Curious to hear more details. :)

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Well I bought my paint cans from Olarenshaws auto paint store all at once and the guy there suggested that particular clear.
I just figured he'd know what he was talking about. :/

Interesting offer, however I don't drive (don't own a car - living inner city and living 15 mins from work, etc.) so getting the frame to you would be a pain in itself.

I'll send you a PM regardless. Curious to hear more details. :)
I'm sure something could be sorted. I'll wait for your PM.

Hi to everyone
I also decide to paint my carbon Scott Scale in some grey colour instead of original factory partial green , is any chance I can just fine slowly scrap only some part of green color with sand paper? and later to apply just clear coat but I like to preserve original Scott decals stickers on frame and have this original nice glossy shiny look :) ,so is any special method to this I am very handy with all tools and work and happy to experiment of course to not damage frame and to not put lots of extra weight on my carbon scale
Thx