A science nerd thread.

Nerds, I need your help! I'm looking to buy a case to hold microscope slides. All the ones I've seen online go for about $8 but want around $50 for shipping. Does anyone know of an Australian supplier that wont send me broke?

black rider

Likes Dirt
Do you have specific requirements for a case? Would a wooden microscope slide box do? About 200mm long, flip top lid type of thing.

Hell, plastic would even do. I'm going to have around 30 slides or so but I don't mind carrying around a couple of boxes if they're going to be cheaper than a larger one. But what you described sounds pretty good. Something like Dexter uses but cheap. At the same time, a quality one would be better than one that is likely to break. I can't really afford to lose my slides.

black rider

Likes Dirt
We've a box full of slide boxes at our old work site to be thrown out. Don't know if any are slotted to hold the slides in place, which would be handy if you're carting them around. If they're still there you're welcome to grab one (or more) them if they suit. I'll have a look when I'm out there this week.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I figured this thread would yield the best place for this question.

What is personality? In that is it a quantifiable thing you can create?

I got to this thought because I was thinking about the idea of teleportation and that if that was ever possible it would require the creation of a genetic/person code than is than transferred and recreated at the destination. This than reminded me of 'the big bang theory' tv show when Sheldon says his clone wont be different it will be exactly the same.

Now that got me to the question. How would personality be recreated or measured than created. I understand that the brain and its circuits all have an impact on how we act and the recreation of those would yield similar personalities, but we can always choose a different path. However what about those things that are not created. For instance what happens if someone is faced with a new situation and they had no previous developed pathways to naturally follow, how do we know that we are creating a person who would make the same decision every time or how do we know those things separate like morals would remain the same.

The same goes for stored information, If we could look closely, can we measure the information stored in each neuron?

Basically in science is there a physical manifestation or measurement that one could in theory clone a personality or recreate the knowledge someone knows, how do we measure these unphysical parts of the human body.

Its a philosophical question to a point and while blowing my mind and spacing me out at times it intrigues me.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I had a new spectrophotometer delivered today. Even though I hate lab work I still got excited unpacking it and turning it on.:nerd:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
It's one of the big unresolved mysteries drifty.

Not just personality but consciousness

As far as I know sir roger penrose is only main stream (if he could be called that any more) giving it serious thought from a physics point of view. He's a bit dry and hard to read at times but "the emperors new mind" might be of interest to you.

Or for a quicker more updated gist

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3WXTX0IUaOg

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That article left me with more questions than answers. I'm not quite ready to thank microtubules for my consciousness. I've got an awesome audio book on consciousness I need to revisit.

Bermshot

Banned
So whom is in agreement the "great" Einstein is a plagiarist max? Not to mention the stolen "theory" is wrong.

And the Theory that we came from monkeys is so distasteful, well if you believe it, throw shit at your self.

Beej1

So whom is in agreement the "great" Einstein is a plagiarist max? Not to mention the stolen "theory" is wrong.

And the Theory that we came from monkeys is so distasteful, well if you believe it, throw shit at your self.
I think you should upload YouTube videos of your posts. I see the words but want to hear what they sound like.

I saw Prof Brian Cox speak a few weeks ago on his tour of nerdiness (which was also a thinly veiled promo for his next TV show ... which I totally downloaded rather than wait for Australia to actually show it). I really liked the proposed theory (which I hope I understood correctly) that linked Einsteins Theory of Relativity in equation form with the way Earth orbits the Sun with respect to the gravitational effects of the Sun and Jupiter, and the subsequent 26,000 year wobble of Earth's axis of rotation causing climate shifts which correlate with water levels in the lakes in the Rift Valley in Africa which correlate with the leaps in evolution from homo-erectus through to homo-sapiens. Fascinating stuff. Doesn't want to make me hurl faeces, however .... sorry Bermshot.

I also saw "Interstellar" at IMAX last week. Wasn't what I was expecting, and while I would've loved a Nolan movie about nothing more than just exploring other planets, that would've just been Star Trek. But overall, the film was pretty awesome from a scientific point of view. Apparently physicist Kip Thorne (also a producer) is writing two research papers on the way they made light bending around spinning black holes as realistic as current research says it should look. I really liked the film ... will prob see it again.

scblack

Leucocholic

Unfortunately some people evolved BACKWARDS from the monkeys. I wonder who that includes spermie?

scblack

Leucocholic
I also saw "Interstellar" at IMAX last week. Wasn't what I was expecting, and while I would've loved a Nolan movie about nothing more than just exploring other planets, that would've just been Star Trek. But overall, the film was pretty awesome from a scientific point of view. Apparently physicist Kip Thorne (also a producer) is writing two research papers on the way they made light bending around spinning black holes as realistic as current research says it should look. I really liked the film ... will prob see it again.
I have heard about the movie, is it a movie that has to be watched in a theatre to appreciate, or will a decent sized plasma be good to watch it?