Confessions from the fuckwits

sbr511

Likes Dirt
Bike24 are a bit cheaper anyway, I think. Tried cyclesport uk also?
I have emailed Merlin and would prefer to bu from them as they were built ready to go,
Bike24 dont build the wheels but the parts seem cheaper, I could get them built locally or give it a crack my self...
Cyclesportuk website wont work for me but i'll keep trying,

cheers for the tips!

moorey

call me Mia
I have emailed Merlin and would prefer to bu from them as they were built ready to go,
Bike24 dont build the wheels but the parts seem cheaper, I could get them built locally or give it a crack my self...
Cyclesportuk website wont work for me but i'll keep trying,

cheers for the tips!
As far as I know, no one builds 'hoops', they all come prebuilt. You've looked at wiggle too, I assume. Cheaper than most.

moorey

call me Mia
Preemptive confession...considering buying straight pull hopes to save $10 and fuck all grams. I've NEVER EVER broken a spoken a spoke in 15 years of riding, including other light SP wheelsets.... What could go wrong? :noidea:

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Am I allowed to post here as a newbie to the site? :p

Got a wheel that's been on the booze (wobbling all over the joint) finally trued up and tensioned and was straight as a tack when I got it back from the LBS

Went out and gave it a thrash on some decent sized jumps (it's a Trance SX Adv with 2.4's on stock rims) and THE WHEEL BE WOBBLY AGAIN.

I guess that's what happens when you try to go fullysick and land hard with the rear end half in from a whip :(

This, kids, is why you buy stronger rims! :( farkwit teenager I am

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Preemptive confession...considering buying straight pull hopes to save $10 and fuck all grams. I've NEVER EVER broken a spoken a spoke in 15 years of riding, including other light SP wheelsets.... What could go wrong? :noidea:
i've got a bunch of SP spokes here you can have... they were from Hope Flow Ex's.

moorey

call me Mia
Am I allowed to post here as a newbie to the site? :p

Got a wheel that's been on the booze (wobbling all over the joint) finally trued up and tensioned and was straight as a tack when I got it back from the LBS

Went out and gave it a thrash on some decent sized jumps (it's a Trance SX Adv with 2.4's on stock rims) and THE WHEEL BE WOBBLY AGAIN.

I guess that's what happens when you try to go fullysick and land hard with the rear end half in from a whip :(

This, kids, is why you buy stronger rims! :( farkwit teenager I am
Yeah, nah, that's not right unless you are a goon rider weighing 400kg.

moorey

call me Mia
i've got a bunch of SP spokes here you can have... they were from Hope Flow Ex's.
Hey Mitchy. Might take you up on it if I buy them...I imagine they are a heavier guage though?. I've never had an issue with SP hubs. Still seems like a potentially silly decision to save $10....and I could prolly get J bend even cheaper if I shop around or wait for a sale.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Hey Mitchy. Might take you up on it if I buy them...I imagine they are a heavier guage though?. I've never had an issue with SP hubs. Still seems like a potentially silly decision to save $10....and I could prolly get J bend even cheaper if I shop around or wait for a sale.
haha, well in the event you do make a silly decision they are sitting here. of no use to me.
just checked and i have 2 (thought i had more...) and they are ~266/267mm long.

Beej1

Stright pull hubs look so much purdier. I've been running these for about 4 years with zero broken spokes. Only came out of true in the last 6 months. Don't know how much said resistance to damage has to do with them being straight pull though - Easton certainly think it's the way to go.

1913583_101898263167711_4512137_n.jpg

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got home after a 1200km roadtrip with no dramas.

Pull bike out of car, flip to put wheels in. Put wheels in. Spin rear wheel - fine. Spin front wheel - fine. Somehow get left index finger stuck between spoke and rotor - not fine.

Not shortened, just thinner now. Really lucky compared to photos I've seen here, not even comparable. I think the spoke was a bit loose which helped pull my finger out as well.

stirk

Burner
Got home after a 1200km roadtrip with no dramas.

Pull bike out of car, flip to put wheels in. Put wheels in. Spin rear wheel - fine. Spin front wheel - fine. Somehow get left index finger stuck between spoke and rotor - not fine.

Not shortened, just thinner now. Really lucky compared to photos I've seen here, not even comparable. I think the spoke was a bit loose which helped pull my finger out as well.
That is funny, sorry! Pictures please.

I'm not a gore loving sicko, a bandaid on finger next to offending cutting rotor will do :)

sbr511

Likes Dirt
As far as I know, no one builds 'hoops', they all come prebuilt. You've looked at wiggle too, I assume. Cheaper than most.
I emailed Merlin and their wheel builder is on holidays, they actually do build their wheels from scratch.
They said they remove the custom options because it would be sometime before they would be built and shipped.

Props to them for being upfront and not taking the customers money then informing them of the delay!!!

They said check the website, it will be back up and running when he is back from leave.

moorey

call me Mia
I emailed Merlin and their wheel builder is on holidays, they actually do build their wheels from scratch.
They said they remove the custom options because it would be sometime before they would be built and shipped.

Props to them for being upfront and not taking the customers money then informing them of the delay!!!

They said check the website, it will be back up and running when he is back from leave.
Then I don't think they are 'hoops'..they are rims built onto hope hubs. Maybe I'm nit picking..

mitchy_

Llama calmer

you do realise that merlin a) sell pre-built 'Hope Hoops' wheels, and b) build custom wheels?

you can buy pre-built Hope Hoops (from merlin) for cheaper than it will cost the holiday-goer at Merlin to build you a set... the only reason i can see you would build some is you want a colour/spoke/rim combination not offered in the Hope Hoops range.

http://bikes.merlincycles.com/search#w=hope hoops

sbr511

Likes Dirt
you do realise that merlin a) sell pre-built 'Hope Hoops' wheels, and b) build custom wheels?

you can buy pre-built Hope Hoops (from merlin) for cheaper than it will cost the holiday-goer at Merlin to build you a set... the only reason i can see you would build some is you want a colour/spoke/rim combination not offered in the Hope Hoops range.

http://bikes.merlincycles.com/search#w=hope hoops

I was going to order Stans Arch rim, Hope Evo2 in blue and black spokes. Custom was the only way I could get this combo...