Sydney siege

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
the Islamic community themselves need to publicly distance themselves from these kinds of actions. Arcing up about white prejudice, when in fact it is proto-Islamic prejudice against "infidels" that causes these events in the first place, is simply not reasonable in this case. When Islamic militants declare war on the west and do THEIR best to make it an us-vs-them situation, what do you think the reaction is going to be? Of course people are going to make racial/ethnic/religious generalisations. The only realistic way to prevent/reduce that is for the Australian Islamic community to harshly reject this kind of behaviour, otherwise they will be seen, rightly or wrongly, as being complicit with it.
Pretty much every time something like this happens they do condemn it and distance themselves from the act - as they have already done so today.

The media may not run to far with it though.

John U

MTB Precision
On a side note, who gives a shit what every one else in the world is saying about this event. Why does the Australian media go on about this so much? The media appears to have been very well behaved though.

If the hostage taker/s is on rotorburn and reading this, I hope everyone gets out safely and unharmed.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The media appears to have been very well behaved though.
Except for the outlets like SMH that actually published their conversations with the attacker via the hostages until the police told them to take the information down.

As a matter of fact, I think I may have just clicked the SMH for the last time.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If the bloke rode a mountain bike he wouldn't be there doing this shit, that's his main problem. He has lost his insanity as most people do that don't ride.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If the bloke rode a mountain bike he wouldn't be there doing this shit, that's his main problem. He has lost his insanity as most people do that don't ride.
When you loose your insanity, do you automatically find your sanity? Or is there an limbo scenario until you regain one or the other? I'm intending on keeping my insanity, but I'm really curious...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
We need to send in Bermshot as hostage negotiator, out crazy the fucker.

scblack

Leucocholic
Except for the outlets like SMH that actually published their conversations with the attacker via the hostages until the police told them to take the information down.

As a matter of fact, I think I may have just clicked the SMH for the last time.
I don't go to SMH any more. And I used to work for the Fairfax's. Any quality journalist at SMH was made redundant several years ago now.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
There's about a thousand reasons why that's a bit silly to say.

He has a backpack on, is it full of bang and is he holding a pressure release trigger device?
How certain are you that there is definitely only one attacker in the building?
How much intelligence can you get from a dead body as compared to a live body?
How much would would killing him actually support his aims?

Reckon I could keep going for half a page here......
5 People have gotten out now, I'd bet the cops have a fair picture of everything that is going on in there.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
5 People have gotten out now, I'd bet the cops have a fair picture of everything that is going on in there.
You think those hostages know exactly what is in that backpack and how well it has been wired, if his falling may detonate any unstable material in there?
You think the cops are happy to go on what is probably conflicting information from 5 frenzied and panicked people most of which probably had their eyes shut up against a window most of the time?
REckon the cops are happy to think that the gunman revealed everything to the hostages before they got out?
You think the cops are happy to rely on the fact that nothing has fundamentally changed since those hostages left the room?

I bet the cops would give their work Xmas party to have this resolve without a shot being fired.

Beej1

Lindt Chocolate. As Sweet as 72 Virgins!
On this subject .... I've always found the "Go forth to the afterlife where 72 virgins await" aspect of martyrdom to be quite interesting.

72 virgins.

I can't really imagine it being a good thing that the first weeks, possibly months, spent of your long promised much hyped eternal afterlife of fucking basically consists of: "No ... not like that. No ... it goes here. Wait, wait, no ... slower. Then faster. Use saliva. No, sooner than that. No, this bit first, then that part after. I know, it hurts at first. No, really, sometimes we put it there. Because it feels good. Well ... its supposed to feel good. No, stop talking. Allah! ... make some noise at least. No, not that much noise. I dunno, sound more real. No, I like each of you evenly, I promise. No I don't like her better. Or her. Or her. Or any of them! No, I didn't mean you. Or you. No ... No don't cry. Shit, now she's crying too. Crap, her too! ...... (sigh) Can't we just go back to the sex part?"

Could just be me but .... were I the religious extremist martyring type, I think I'd rather 72 extremely skilful babe hookers to populate my afterlife.

John U

MTB Precision
I've heard the 72 virgins reference is a misinterpretation or one of a number of possible interpretations. I haven't bothered following it up. Not interested.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Or good contingency planning given similar events in other countries and pretty basic foresight, maybe?

"counter-terror forces practice hostage drills on aircraft - man takes hostage on aircraft...., OMFG, NWO!!11!!"
Foresight? I think being killed by terrorists is the least of your worries. Especially in this country.

indica

Serial flasher
: "No ... not like that. No ... it goes here. Wait, wait, no ... slower. Then faster. Use saliva. No, sooner than that. No, this bit first, then that part after. I know, it hurts at first. No, really, sometimes we put it there. Because it feels good. Well ... its supposed to feel good. No, stop talking. Allah! ... make some noise at least. No, not that much noise. I dunno, sound more real. No, I like each of you evenly, I promise. No I don't like her better. Or her. Or her. Or any of them! No, I didn't mean you. Or you. No ... No don't cry. Shit, now she's crying too. Crap, her too! ...... (sigh) Can't we just go back to the sex part?"
Holy fucking shit. GOLD.

Bermshot

Banned
On this subject .... I've always found the "Go forth to the afterlife where 72 virgins await" aspect of martyrdom to be quite interesting.

72 virgins.

I can't really imagine it being a good thing that the first weeks, possibly months, spent of your long promised much hyped eternal afterlife of fucking basically consists of: "No ... not like that. No ... it goes here. Wait, wait, no ... slower. Then faster. Use saliva. No, sooner than that. No, this bit first, then that part after. I know, it hurts at first. No, really, sometimes we put it there. Because it feels good. Well ... its supposed to feel good. No, stop talking. Allah! ... make some noise at least. No, not that much noise. I dunno, sound more real. No, I like each of you evenly, I promise. No I don't like her better. Or her. Or her. Or any of them! No, I didn't mean you. Or you. No ... No don't cry. Shit, now she's crying too. Crap, her too! ...... (sigh) Can't we just go back to the sex part?"

Could just be me but .... were I the religious extremist martyring type, I think I'd rather 72 extremely skilful babe hookers to populate my afterlife.
Hahaha!
You do deserve a continuous portal from base to start.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Foresight? I think being killed by terrorists is the least of your worries. Especially in this country.
Maybe so, but you seemed to make a call that this was a set up because a year ago there were anti-terror drills in the middle of the CBD and now there is a CT op in the middle of the CBD. That's what I'm responding to, not any other goal post you may wish to set up.

Bermshot

Banned
Maybe so, but you seemed to make a call that this was a set up because a year ago there were anti-terror drills in the middle of the CBD and now there is a CT op in the middle of the CBD. That's what I'm responding to, not any other goal post you may wish to set up.
Stupid knowing? If something is fed long enough then creation is bound. Does that include this? Perhaps.