Thredbo - all you need to know

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get to thredbo with a downhill bike using public transport? Bus/taxi/etc? I've heard that there are school bus services up to the village from jindabyne, however I am not sure if I could take a bike. Seems like without a car there is no way to get there with a bike, even if it is boxed.
Call Thredbo MTB and ask them.
Thredbo has a staff bus I believe.

No Skid Marks

Cannonball Festival was awesome on the weekend. Put it in your diary for next year, only going to be better.

mariodhf

Cannon Fodder
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get to thredbo with a downhill bike using public transport? Bus/taxi/etc? I've heard that there are school bus services up to the village from jindabyne, however I am not sure if I could take a bike. Seems like without a car there is no way to get there with a bike, even if it is boxed.
Unfortunatley there is no public transport from Cooma to Thredbo
- advised by Thredbo MTB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
The Thredbo YHA told me that it is possible to get there with a bike using the school buses. The staff at the YHA said that others have done this with bikes without any issues.

They provided the following info/timetable:

BUS Canberra to Cooma
$16.66 pp one way
Countrylink

Depart Civic, West Row 11.55am
Arrive Cooma 1.30pm
(Mon, Wed & Fri)
Depart 4.20pm - Arrive 6.18pm
(Every Other Day)

Return:
Depart Cooma 10:05am
Arrive Canberra 12:03pm

---------------------

BUS Cooma to Jindabyne
$20 pp one way
*Cooma Coaches 64524841
Mon to Friday – not during school holidays

Depart Cooma 2:15pm
Arrive Jindabyne 3:20pm

Return:
Depart Jindabyne 8.55am
Arrive Cooma 9:45am

--------------
BUS Jindabyne to Thredbo
$20pp one way
*Snowlink - School BUS
Mon to Friday – not during school holidays

Depart Jindabyne 3.30pm
Arrive Thredbo 4.20pm

Return:
Depart Thredbo 8:10am
Arrive Jindabyne 8.55am

So it really looks like it would take a whole day to get there along with multiple transfers with your bike.
You also might want to confirm with Snowlink and Cooma Coaches who run the school bus services if you can take a bike along. You may also need to ask if the bike needs to be boxed, etc.
Also, obviously the above bus services do not run outside the school holidays. Currently Jetstar have $130 flights to Auckland. In the time it would take you to get from Sydney to Thredbo via the above, you could fly to Auckland and then get a bus to Rotorua. It might even work out cheaper as well.

Last edited:
Hi...has anyone ridden the Flow trail at thredbo recently? If so can you advise if a giant trance would deal with the terrain ok..I think these use the reigns as hire bikes

Thanks

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hi...has anyone ridden the Flow trail at thredbo recently? If so can you advise if a giant trance would deal with the terrain ok..I think these use the reigns as hire bikes

Thanks
G'day, rode there lasts week on a tallboy setup with a dropper post, hans dampf front tyre and wider bars. Was perfect I think - managed to keep up without any problems with guys on downhill bikes, though had to go easy on the doubles.

So yes, it's fine for flow trail! If you don't have a dropper post I'd take a multi tool with you and set your seat a good 3" below where you normally have it.

Hint, if you've still got a few days,do some squats, my thighs ached like hell for a few days after 11 runs - 'twas amongst the best day out ever though.

Agostino

Likes Dirt
Considering going to Threadbo soonish and wondering is there a limit on what bikes can be used on the DH Track?
Spoke to a mate who is planning the trip and he's advised me that you need a triple crown fork? last time I was there a guy went down on his Specialized Epic 100mm travel dualie.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Considering going to Threadbo soonish and wondering is there a limit on what bikes can be used on the DH Track?
Spoke to a mate who is planning the trip and he's advised me that you need a triple crown fork? last time I was there a guy went down on his Specialized Epic 100mm travel dualie.
Not sure if times have changed but I have ridden it with single crown 180mm/160mm forks and it was fine. I really don't think they'd limit you to having to have triple crown forked bikes.

Agostino

Likes Dirt
Not sure if times have changed but I have ridden it with single crown 180mm/160mm forks and it was fine. I really don't think they'd limit you to having to have triple crown forked bikes.
Yeah that's what I thought, but just thought I'd ask here as well. I think someone is telling me porkies.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
You can ride it on anything that has at least front forks. Back in the day I had people showing up on all kinds of stuff. The worst was a guy who showed up on a 21" steel Apollo with V brakes. I suggested he might like to rent a DH bike for the day but was met with "I know sales and you're just trying to upsell me." "Your website says front forks are a minimum and that's what I have". Half way down the hill he threw a little tanty, and his bike, and told me we had no business saying people can ride here with just front forks. I then gave him my DH bike and just to prove the point rode his bike, which was too big for me down the hill. It was hard work and I nearly ate shit a couple of times thanks to the Really Shit Technology forks but I got there. At the bottom he came and apologised and asked where he could rent a DH bike. Saw him later in the day and he was loving the bike and the track.
Moral of the story, FR singles are fine you'll just have to be a little more careful with line choice. Same goes for shorter travel bikes. I've ridden my Spec SX 4X bike down there a couple of time and it handled it fine. Not as fast but did the job. I've also ridden a Giant Reign down there and it was fine. Just don't try to keep up with guys on DH bikes though.

No Skid Marks

You can ride it on anything that has at least front forks. Back in the day I had people showing up on all kinds of stuff. The worst was a guy who showed up on a 21" steel Apollo with V brakes. I suggested he might like to rent a DH bike for the day but was met with "I know sales and you're just trying to upsell me." "Your website says front forks are a minimum and that's what I have". Half way down the hill he threw a little tanty, and his bike, and told me we had no business saying people can ride here with just front forks. I then gave him my DH bike and just to prove the point rode his bike, which was too big for me down the hill. It was hard work and I nearly ate shit a couple of times thanks to the Really Shit Technology forks but I got there. At the bottom he came and apologised and asked where he could rent a DH bike. Saw him later in the day and he was loving the bike and the track.
Moral of the story, FR singles are fine you'll just have to be a little more careful with line choice. Same goes for shorter travel bikes. I've ridden my Spec SX 4X bike down there a couple of time and it handled it fine. Not as fast but did the job. I've also ridden a Giant Reign down there and it was fine. Just don't try to keep up with guys on DH bikes though.
There's the "Flow" track now ADougy. Runs from top to bottom. Still far from smooth, but a decent hardtail would cut it. The more suspension, the faster you can go, and less punished you get. Don't get outgunned by mates on DH bikes, rent a DH bike if your riding buddies are on them. Otherwise enjoy yourself on whatever, just remember what you're on ;-)

Agostino

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the Reply, mates have decided to go to Mt Buller instead for other reasons including we have never been there before and heard good things.

There's the "Flow" track now ADougy. Runs from top to bottom. Still far from smooth, but a decent hardtail would cut it. The more suspension, the faster you can go, and less punished you get. Don't get outgunned by mates on DH bikes, rent a DH bike if your riding buddies are on them. Otherwise enjoy yourself on whatever, just remember what you're on ;-)
Yeah I'm on a stumpy 29 FSR so 130mm travel front and rear is fine me thinks. Will most like hire a DH bike, but test out the track on my stumpy for at least one run and see if I can keep up with mates if not I'll hire a bike.

Last edited:

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I am thinking about heading down to Thredbo when the snow melts to ride the flow trail. I've previously checked the website and found something saying you can only ride there with a full face helmet on the lift access trails. I've seen photos of people riding the flow trail with normal helmets, what's the verdict?

Also I'm not sure how my 9.3kg 29er hard tail with 100mm travel will cope, if I rent the "Flow rental package" what sort of bike will I get?

Thanks

DeBloot

Feeling old
they changed it late last season or so
You can ride the flow without a full face

Don't know about the rental - I imagine something like a reign would easily be enough
But as NSM said above, you just need to be more careful
I've never ridden a 29'er, but imagine a couple of the tighter turns up top will be a bit more challenging with the big wheels

If in doubt, do the induction on your 29'er
if it sucks, do the rest of the day on a rental

Last edited:
I rode the flow track April last year, definitely no full face required on the flow track, although i wouldn't ride without one. Full face still required on the downhill.There was a guy in my induction group who had a 29'r hardtail, I saw him on the track and lift heading back up a couple times so he was obviously riding it and I assume having fun.

However, I rode the flow track on my 5" trail bike and I felt like it could have used a longer travel slacker head angle DH bike. This may have been due to how rutted out the track was in some sections.

I still had a blast riding it, just think I would have even more fun on a DH bike.

DeBloot

Feeling old
I rode it week 1 and it was as smooth as a baby's arse
Rode it in March and lots of brake bumps and chatter

The top section has one tricky corner
I did the induction and a bloke ate it on that corner (I assume) and broke his visor off and cut his nose
Could have been nasty without a full face (which were compulsory at the time)

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Planning a trip down in Feb with the boys for 4 nights, midweek... Is there anywhere near the village to camp at all? Googling doesn't turn up too much unfortunately..

nickz

Likes Dirt
Thredbo diggings and Ngarigo is as close as you will get. Great spots maybe 10mins drive from village.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thredbo diggings and Ngarigo is as close as you will get. Great spots maybe 10mins drive from village.
Cheers mate! Will be midweek... wonder how safe it is to leave van/tents set up.. Looks like a ride down the valley trail gets you back to the village easy enough.. Win!

pointless

Likes Bikes
I'm looking at possibly heading here in the middle of the first week of January for a couple of days. I can only fit one bike in the car & I'm not sure whether to take the 6" AM bike or take the Downhill rig. Is there enough DH to keep me entertained for a couple of days on the pure DH rig or would I be better off taking the AM rig which is pretty slack and burly anyways?