Thredbo - all you need to know

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Cheers all, I think I'll play it safe & rent the gear. Nothing worse than breaking myself on the first day & missing out on all that riding when I could have just coughed up for it :thumb:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Rode the flow trail 7 times all up yesterday in beautiful conditions, not a cloud in the sky and about 18 degrees, so much yum. I'd like to hear what the regulars think about the condition of the flow trail - the interschool competition was finishing up as we arrived on Saturday and the trail had held up well but had plenty of braking bumps - my wrists are toast. Do the trails see much maintenance during the season?
Anyway, I wasn't brave enough to try the downhill but the flow kept my attention all day - I understand what people say when they write that it's not their definition of flow.... the top section from the fire road down to the restaurant is pretty cool winding through the trees but the next section down to the bridge is very heavy on the tight, steep switchback. From the bridge it seems to open up and roam along the width of the mountain face where you get some decently long and straight runs to get some speed up and try the jumps, I loved this bit. The last quarter has some superb bits running through the stands of trees and a really lovely, flowy left right left right series of swooping corners before you run past the downhill wall ride and traverse what I think is the sketchiest piece - the last 200m before the end which is fairly steep with funny shaped jumps and a loose surface.
The village is great, plenty of eateries and things to do including the luge, bushwalks and an indoor, heated pool mostly oriented toward lap swimming though it does have a water slide! We all had a blast and I'd love to go back again but I think my fork needs work, it was struggling to cope with the faster, chopped out sections... or that could just be me being a shit rider - it's the first time I've seen my front 180mm Ice-tech rotor turn blue from heat.

stickso

Likes Dirt
There were plenty of braking bumps when I was there at the end of Jan. I was wondering then how much maintenance is done during the season. Dirt Art was there at the time cutting in new sections though.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went 2nd week of Feb.. shitloads of braking bumps, just had the nationals there the weekend prior so put it down to heaps of traffic.
My fingers got sore quick, but put it down to the crazy long descent and not the braking bumps.

Heading back for the rollercoaster next month, bring that shit on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dansmith

Likes Bikes
So I've got a trip to thredbo coming up and it's my first time so this thread has been a massive help. I'm sorry I haven't had the time to read this all so apologies if this has been covered but what tyres have people run on their bikes? Thredbo looks pretty loose up top in videos but I'm thinking I could get away with some high rollers on the flow trail and maybe throw on some minion dhf if I dare try the downhill.
All help is welcomed!

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's only loose on the fire road, the rest of the flow trail is schweet.. I went HR2 front and ardent lust rear on a dirty 29er.

Dansmith

Likes Bikes
It's only loose on the fire road, the rest of the flow trail is schweet.. I went HR2 front and ardent lust rear on a dirty 29er.
Thanks kyle, might pack a spare mud tyre just incase but from what I've read it's the tubes I'll be needing spares of.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
as Kyle said, the track is largely free of rocks and other obstacles, you could run it with an XC tyre no worries, it's just the fire road down from the chairlift to the start of the tracks which is reasonably steep (average ~13% grade) and loose with gravel. It's not mega rocky though.

Make sure your rotors and pads are in good nick :) If anything, bring spare pads.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And some sandpaper to de-glaze your rotors.. Definitely do this.
In all honesty my mate I went down with and is coming with me to the rollercoaster event has decided to run a 2.1 crossmark on the back of his hardtail for the event, nothing fancy at all.
You'll be more than fine, don't over think the track, if you get a puncture the shop is right St the base of the hill.

Lach101

Squid
New thredbo sections.

The DH has a few new sections such as the jumps at the bottom (step down and table top) and a wall ride before coming out at the end.

Few hours in Tredbo

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to mountain bikes so apologies if these are silly questions but I've searched and having trouble finding answers.

Looks like I've got a spare few hours in Thredbo next week. Wondering if I should take the bike?

- I've got a giant talon 3
- I'd consider myself a confident rider (not fast but have had a lot of experience on bikes)

would the bike handle the flow track or the all mountain trail? (I've happily ridden it through a few local intermediate trails here in Canberra)

Also would I have to do the 2hr induction or whatever to ride these?

Are the lower tracks there worth riding and is there a fee if you don't use the lifts? (the golf course loop or something for example)

Any help or tips greatly appreciated.

Matt

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No lift no fee or induction.
You need to do the induction before you can buy a lift pass for mtb.
Lower tracks are fine for cruising round on, if you haven't got a full day I personally wouldn't bother with a lift pass, you really want to make the most of a lift pass and ride all day!
Hard tails are fine on the flow trail (although hard on the body at speed)

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
I'm off to Thredbo later today and spoke to the ticket office and you no longer need to do the course according to the lady at guest services I spoke to. The mates I am going with have taken their hardtails again this year. So can't be too hard.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going down with some mates in the first week of April, going to hire some all-mountain bikes for the day. Usually XC riders, want to give a FF, and a big travel bike a go. Getting pretty excited - is that trail that was supposed to open in 2016 open yet?