The Chilli Thread!

fridgie

Likes Dirt
My orange habs are coming along nicely, my jalapenos are doing ok and my butch t scorpion has been resurrected from the dead but is yet to flower or fruit.

Can't wait to get into these suckers ;)

Zam

Likes Dirt
Here is my mate making Australia's Hottest Hamburger, selling now in Swan Hill

[video=youtube;ggkP_bJ9CUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggkP_bJ9CUc[/video]

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
Here is my mate making Australia's Hottest Hamburger, selling now in Swan Hill

[video=youtube;ggkP_bJ9CUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggkP_bJ9CUc[/video]
wow, fuck good work mate, that had to have hurt, ive got nagas growing and have eaten a few of them, they put a big hurting on me, that burger looked brutal to eat

Zam

Likes Dirt
Yeah and he did that without drinking milk, water or anything till after he finished......

There is a clip of a couple of customers eating one, but they both go through about 1.5ltrs of milk each.....

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Ok so i have finally started to get some semblance of chilli life back into the garden . All thats missing are the poblanos . Picked these off juvenile plants so far .
There is Jalapenos , Serranos , Purple Tiger ( these are hot hot ) Sweet Pimento ( the odd shaped capsicum ) and something that the tag says is a sweet thai chilli . I`m still waiting for the Aji Yellow , Tabasco and Big Jim chillies to fruit and long hot cayennes . With what i have picked a sauce beckons , i used to keep this sauce in the fridge as a concentrate ( before losing all plants in a flood ) . It lasts for ages and goes into most BBQ cooking that I do .

Attachments

indica

Serial flasher
Next time you get a big pick make a fermented chiili base and sauce from there.
Fucken awesome.
I'll have to pick and make more soon, I have so many chillies.

indica

Serial flasher
Fermented Chilli

2 pounds Chillies

1/4 cup good quality salt.

>Leave the chillies in the sun for 2 days so they ripen and wrinkle.

>Cut stems off, place in bowl with the salt in a warm place for a day (or two, liquid comes out and you need this for the ferment)

>Put all in a container with 1 cup water

>Allow to ferment, topping up with water as needed, for up to 2 weeks, until chillies are squishy and breaking down. (try to keep the chillies submerged. White film on top is good and just what you want)

>Blend all with 2 tablespoons vinegar

Frank’s RedHot–Style Pepper Sauce: Purée a half clove of garlic (or more to taste) with ⅓ to ½ cup pepper mash and ½ cup vinegar in a blender.
Texas Pete–Style Pepper Sauce: To make a vinegary pepper sauce like Texas Pete, use ⅔ cup vinegar to ½ cup pepper mash.
Crystal-Style Pepper Sauce: To make a thicker pepper sauce like Crystal, use ⅓ cup vinegar to ½ cup pepper mash.
Asian-Flavored Pepper Sauce: Add ⅓ cup to ½ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar with garlic to ½ cup pepper mash.

The famous Huy Fong Rooster Brand Sriracha Sauce is made in California from red jalapeños. It is named after the hot sauces of the Thai coastal town of Sri Racha. The Thai Sri Racha sauces are thinner and runnier than the American version, which is very close to the consistency of ketchup. You can make your own Sriracha sauce with fresh chiles, if you like, but it doesn’t last very long in the refrigerator. Most people agree the fermented version tastes much better; it also lasts a lot longer. + If you have some fermented pepper mash on hand, it’s easy to make your own homemade fermented Sriracha sauce. And since you don’t need as much vinegar, you will probably like the homemade version better than the stuff in the bottle.
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 cup puréed fresh red chiles or Fermented Pepper Mash
2 garlic cloves
Combine the sugars with the vinegar in a small saucepan and heat until the sugars dissolve. Allow the vinegar mixture to cool. Combine the vinegar mixture with the mash and garlic and purée in a blender until very smooth. Strain to remove any grit or large particles. Store the sauce in a squeeze bottle in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks if made with fresh chiles, or for up to 6 months if made with fermented chiles.

Luco

Likes Dirt
Fermented Chilli

2 pounds Chillies

1/4 cup good quality salt.

>Leave the chillies in the sun for 2 days so they ripen and wrinkle.

>Cut stems off, place in bowl with the salt in a warm place for a day (or two, liquid comes out and you need this for the ferment)

>Put all in a container with 1 cup water

>Allow to ferment, topping up with water as needed, for up to 2 weeks, until chillies are squishy and breaking down. (try to keep the chillies submerged. White film on top is good and just what you want)

>Blend all with 2 tablespoons vinegar

Frank’s RedHot–Style Pepper Sauce: Purée a half clove of garlic (or more to taste) with ⅓ to ½ cup pepper mash and ½ cup vinegar in a blender.
Texas Pete–Style Pepper Sauce: To make a vinegary pepper sauce like Texas Pete, use ⅔ cup vinegar to ½ cup pepper mash.
Crystal-Style Pepper Sauce: To make a thicker pepper sauce like Crystal, use ⅓ cup vinegar to ½ cup pepper mash.
Asian-Flavored Pepper Sauce: Add ⅓ cup to ½ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar with garlic to ½ cup pepper mash.

The famous Huy Fong Rooster Brand Sriracha Sauce is made in California from red jalapeños. It is named after the hot sauces of the Thai coastal town of Sri Racha. The Thai Sri Racha sauces are thinner and runnier than the American version, which is very close to the consistency of ketchup. You can make your own Sriracha sauce with fresh chiles, if you like, but it doesn’t last very long in the refrigerator. Most people agree the fermented version tastes much better; it also lasts a lot longer. + If you have some fermented pepper mash on hand, it’s easy to make your own homemade fermented Sriracha sauce. And since you don’t need as much vinegar, you will probably like the homemade version better than the stuff in the bottle.
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 cup puréed fresh red chiles or Fermented Pepper Mash
2 garlic cloves
Combine the sugars with the vinegar in a small saucepan and heat until the sugars dissolve. Allow the vinegar mixture to cool. Combine the vinegar mixture with the mash and garlic and purée in a blender until very smooth. Strain to remove any grit or large particles. Store the sauce in a squeeze bottle in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks if made with fresh chiles, or for up to 6 months if made with fermented chiles.
I watched some documentary on sbs a little while back that featured the guy that runs that joint. Really fascinating operation. From memory he still ferments his chillis in large clay pots/urns outside. It's a great sauce to have with beef noodle soup.

Zam

Likes Dirt
OK so I now have in my possession some F3 Ed Currie Carolina Reaper seeds and just waiting for July to plant some and get em going, will also be growing some purple tigers, Orange Habs, Jalapeno's, some Thai Birdeye's and some Cayenne peppers, not sure how they will all go but will give em a crack.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Well this thread has inspired me to grow and make my own chilli relish and sauces. Mmmm.

Going overseas in a few weeks for 7 weeks. Are they a hardy plant? Should I wait until I'm back or plant them now and perhaps have whoever house minds look after them?

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
What are people's thoughts on wether or not chilli can damage your stomach etc. Cole's were selling Carolina Reapers, of which I've eaten two this week...and fu@k me they're violent. I've heard it's bull shit, and they don't hurt you, but was interested in other people's info.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
What are people's thoughts on wether or not chilli can damage your stomach etc. Cole's were selling Carolina Reapers, of which I've eaten two this week...and fu@k me they're violent. I've heard it's bull shit, and they don't hurt you, but was interested in other people's info.
Yep, BS. Lots of folk eat chilli every day without issue.

indica

Serial flasher
I can't remember where I read it but Nathan Rennie sculled some hot sauce once and burnt the lining of his throat and was in all sorts of trouble for a while there.
If you had a large amount and it was hot enough I'd say you could.
I gave a heap of chillies to a friend -including Nagas -he walked around his backyard and pulled the seeds out to plant them. He ended up with blisters.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't remember where I read it but Nathan Rennie sculled some hot sauce once and burnt the lining of his throat and was in all sorts of trouble for a while there.
If you had a large amount and it was hot enough I'd say you could.
I gave a heap of chillies to a friend -including Nagas -he walked around his backyard and pulled the seeds out to plant them. He ended up with blisters.
Yep, spontaneously overstimulating the 'chilli receptor' (actually a protein, TRPV1) before it gets a chance to desensitise causes a host of issues. Both hyper-sensitisation and cell death are the immediate outcome, but there's been some studies that talk about permanent receptor damage.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Yep, spontaneously overstimulating the 'chilli receptor' (actually a protein, TRPV1) before it gets a chance to desensitise causes a host of issues. Both hyper-sensitisation and cell death are the immediate outcome, but there's been some studies that talk about permanent receptor damage.
So, desensitized over time, or a few minutes whilst eating them? What does 'cell death' and 'receptor damage' mean for your body?