2015 Norco Range 7.2 Carbon 27.5 - Enduro Work Horse, Upgrades, Overseas Travel

deej

Likes Bikes
Any more ride reports on these? Too big for non competitive XC duties?
To be honest i'm not too sure, I guess it would depend on what you like. I think its an awesome bike.

I spent 2 days at Mt Buller this week, tackled XC, DH, Flow and the Epic trail, overall it was excellent, struggled a little on the tight winding steeps due to the 160mm up front so i had to get my weight forward a bit.

However i'm still really happy with the bike, absolutely smashed the berms, loose corners, single track, open fire trails, rocky descents and jumps. Love this thing.

Taking it to Europe this year.

DeBloot

Feeling old
i got a bit hard looking at those photos
She's almost too nice to ride
Norco sure have come a long way of late

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To be honest i'm not too sure, I guess it would depend on what you like. I think its an awesome bike.

I spent 2 days at Mt Buller this week, tackled XC, DH, Flow and the Epic trail, overall it was excellent, struggled a little on the tight winding steeps due to the 160mm up front so i had to get my weight forward a bit.

However i'm still really happy with the bike, absolutely smashed the berms, loose corners, single track, open fire trails, rocky descents and jumps. Love this thing.

Taking it to Europe this year.
Ok, thanks. Was just thinking if the Range is only a slight less pedal friendly then the Sight then its probably worth it for the extra descending fun. But maybe the Sight will be the better all rounder for XC duties.

View attachment 304581

I decided to move away from full DH rigs as I really couldn't get full use of them due to location & a lack of shuttles/good accessible tracks in my area.
I wanted something to cover a few types of riding and decided on the Range.

After a no show on the expected date of my Norco Range 7.3 (and a hefty wait time suggested) due to Norco not communicating with my local bike dealer (the awesome guys at Push Bike Shop Pakenham, thanks Matt), an opportunity presented itself for me to grab the 7.2 variant. So I went for it.

Very, very pleased with the result.

Managed a few rides so far, and it's a great bike, i just need to get the suspension settings dialed in and test it out on varying types of terrain.
The bike is light, really easy to throw around and has great overall response and handling.
I will be changing the bars to a 35mm riser as soon as possible, just my personal preference.

FRAMESET

Frame: Range Carbon 650B frame w/160mm travel
Fork: Rockshox Pike RC solo air 160mm 15mm
Rear Shock: Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3

WHEELS

Rims: Sun Helix TR 27 tubelss compatible w/eyelet
Tires: Maxxis High Roller II 650Bx2.30 3C Maxx Terra
Tubes: Tubleless setup
Front Hub: Formula sealed bearing MTB w/disc 15mm axle
Rear Hub: DT 350 alloy w/36T engagement 142x12 XD driver
Spokes/Nipples: DT Champion black stainless steel spokes

DRIVETRAIN

Shifter Rear: SRAM X1 11sp trigger
Shifter Casing: Jagwire LEX housing
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X1 X-Horizontal 11sp long cage
Cassette: SRAM XG 1180 10-42T 11sp
Crankset: SRAM X1 X Sync hollow forged w/30T
Bottom Bracket: SRAM Pressfit BB92
Chain: SRAM PC 1130 11sp
Chain Tensioner: Black Spire Bruiser guard ISCG 05 mount
Pedals: Race Face Aefect

COMPONENTS

Seat Post: Rockshox Reverb Stealth seatpost 30.9mm
Saddle: WTB Volt Race w/chromoly rail
Headset: Cane Creek 40 series tapered (integrated)
Top Cap: Black alloy with Cane Creek logo
Stem: Race Face Atlas 50mm stem, 35mm clamp
Handlebar: Race Face Atlas 800x20mm rise, 35mm bulge
Front Brake: SRAM Guide RS hydraulic disc w/180mm rotor
Rear Brake: SRAM Guide RS hydraulic disc w/180mm rotor
Brake Levers: SRAM Guide RS

Awesome Bike! Thanks for the pictures. I'm planning on a new bike this April, I have it narrowed down to this bike or The Giant Trance SX. Question, Does the Monarch Plus RC3 shock have and 3 position switch? (Climb, trail, descend?)

dbowden

Likes Dirt
Ok, thanks. Was just thinking if the Range is only a slight less pedal friendly then the Sight then its probably worth it for the extra descending fun. But maybe the Sight will be the better all rounder for XC duties.
I just bought a sight carbon. The CCDB inline makes up for the 20mm less travel. Only upgrade I intend to make is put a 140/160mm dual position air pike up front, then it will be perfect for aussie trails everywhere.

sammie_wood

Likes Bikes
2015 Norco Range 7.2 Carbon

Awesome Bike! Thanks for the pictures. I'm planning on a new bike this April, I have it narrowed down to this bike or The Giant Trance SX. Question, Does the Monarch Plus RC3 shock have and 3 position switch? (Climb, trail, descend?)
No more sight Range c7.2's left unfortunately :(

Norco Range 7.2 or Giant Trance SX

So I have narrowed down my list of bikes to the Range or the Trance SX, or possibly YT industries CAPREA COMP 1. All are fairly similar as far as geometry, weight, and spec. The Trance coming in at almost 1k less then the Norco and YT (for me) I haven't had a chance to sit on the Range or the YT though only, I did get a chance to ride around on 2015 7.1 Sight though. Being that I only rode around in the parking lot on the Trance and Sight I wasn't able to fully take in what these bikes are capable of, more for size and geometry, I did feel the Giant had more "Pop" to the rear end, I guess i'm more familiar with Giant's Maestro linkage. Carbon over Alloy is not a deal breaker for me, especially me weighing a buck 35, although I will upgrade the wheel sets on both bikes to something lighter either alloy or carbon.

So that's it.....What bike?

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So I have narrowed down my list of bikes to the Range or the Trance SX, or possibly YT industries CAPREA COMP 1. All are fairly similar as far as geometry, weight, and spec. The Trance coming in at almost 1k more (for me) I haven't had a chance to sit on the Range though only Trance, I did get a chance to ride around on 2015 7.1 Sight though. Being that I only rode around in the parking lot on both bikes I wasn't able to fully take in what these bikes are capable of, more for size and geometry, I did feel the Giant had more "Pop" to the rear end, I guess i'm more familiar with Giant's Maestro linkage. Carbon over Alloy is not a deal breaker for me, especially me weighing a buck 35, although I will upgrade the wheel sets on both bikes to something lighter either alloy or carbon.

So that's it.....What bike?
Capra (if your referring to the Comp. CF 1) by a mile. 1x11 , carbon, better spec and phenomenal reviews in Europe. It is slacker than tho other two tho.

Capra (if your referring to the Comp. CF 1) by a mile. 1x11 , carbon, better spec and phenomenal reviews in Europe. It is slacker than tho other two tho.
I agree with you! unfortunately the geometry looks odd for me Medium 7'8 it seems too cramped for my liking, I guess I could extend the stem...

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
I agree with you! unfortunately the geometry looks odd for me Medium 7'8 it seems too cramped for my liking, I guess I could extend the stem...

Because the Capra's seat angle is steep (75) its important to pay attention to reach numbers when comparing this bike to others for sizing. For example, if all the geometry remained the same, but the seat angle was reduced to 73, the Effective Top Tube (ETT) length would be 22mm longer, which would bring the ETT more inline with a conventional Medium size.

shannon23455

Likes Dirt
Don't judge the sight on a car park test. I know a sight owner who is still fine tuning very ride with the cc inline. He said it gets better every ride.

That is a gorgeous bike! I am also interested in the weight, because I've ordered a Range 7.3 carbon (no more 7.2's), and was interested if there was a weight difference. I'll have to post some pics when mine arrives, should be here next week!

deej

Likes Bikes
Sorry for the delayed response, but I haven't been on the forums in quite some time.

I've read that it's around 14kg, I'm not sure to be honest as I haven't bothered to check, but I will look into it as i'll packing it into a bike bag in July to take to Europe & everything is going to count then.

Very good looking bike, do you know how much it weight?
That is a gorgeous bike! I am also interested in the weight, because I've ordered a Range 7.3 carbon (no more 7.2's), and was interested if there was a weight difference. I'll have to post some pics when mine arrives, should be here next week!

My 7.3 comes in at 13.8 kg after switching to a 1x11 setup. Haven't gone tubeless yet, but I'll definitely give it a go if I need to shed a bit more weight