Confessions from the fuckwits

Fuck this im getting a stand. Everytime im trying to balance or do stuff on the bike something makes it so difficult. Trying to put frameskin on outside in a gazebo balancing a bike half on a table during a crazy storm is not recommended. :nono: :mad2: :smash: :frusty: :juggle:

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fuck this im getting a stand. Everytime im trying to balance or do stuff on the bike something makes it so difficult. Trying to put frameskin on outside in a gazebo balancing a bike half on a table during a crazy storm is not recommended. :nono: :mad2: :smash: :frusty: :juggle:
Ever thought about using cable ties......see what I did there.:dance:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
very easy to check the accuracy of your torque wrench. great wiki here
I had a go at this and gotta admit I disagree with each of these except fish scales. IMO the weight of the torque wrench needs to be accounted for in these simulations (except fish scales), after all the required force to overcome the click is affected by the net force acting on the handle, regardless of whether it's a hand or the force of gravity. In a free weight rig setup you should add the wrench in.

Torque is also only correct if the threads are greased - must admit, I stopped using mine, I torque to the minimum required to hold something , you get a pretty good feel with a simple Allen wrench and realising that the size of the Allen bolt tells you the approximate torque of the bolt anyway
Yeah no mate, torque ratings are generally dry unless otherwise specified.

See table below for results. FWIW the repeatability of the tests was hard, the wrench was all over the place once it 'warmed up' e.g. it wouldn't click at a range of distances, then couldn't help itself once clicked and the distances were significantly reduced to find the point it would let go. So I had to take the last distance +/- mm before it let go.

Attachments

Last edited:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I had a go at this and gotta admit I disagree with each of these except fish scales. IMO the weight of the torque wrench needs to be accounted for in these simulations (except fish scales), after all the required force to overcome the click is affected by the net force acting on the handle, regardless of whether it's a hand or the force of gravity. In a free weight rig setup you should add the wrench in.
Agreed. if you're going to follow this method the wrench should be calibrated facing perpendicular to the ground, especially if you have a reasonabley heavy one e.g. the kinchrome.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Agreed. if you're going to follow this method the wrench should be calibrated facing perpendicular to the ground, especially if you have a reasonabley heavy one e.g. the kinchrome.

Whilst not very clear, adding in the weight of the wrench is mentioned in that wiki's method 1 instructions:

"The wrench handle should be parallel to the floor when you do this but for more exact measurements, account for the extra weight of the pivoting wrench handle itself, measured from the hang point. "

For calibration of 1/4" drive wrenches where calibrations around 5-15nm are of interest, mounting the wrench perpendicular to the ground and using fish scales is the best idea to avoid gravity.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whilst not very clear, adding in the weight of the wrench is mentioned in that wiki's method 1 instructions:
Apologies I didn't catch it.

If you look at the results of my wrench and ignore any errors, you can see where it's more accurate in its range. And it might be coincidental but it appears as if it may have been calibrated forgetting to take its weight into consideration as the results aren't too far off at all if you exclude that contribution. Makes SFA difference at moderate torques but at low torques it has some effect.

Still, doesnt explain why 20% of 4nm fcked my bar. I'll take it offline as it's kinda boring compared to nudity and wasp stings.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I nominate myself for fuck wittery. Left my rear wheel sitting ontop of a speaker (nfi what I was thinking) in my home theater room to go help the wife and came back to find the wheel had toppled off. DT Swiss freehub came apart, dropping the star ratchets onto my new carpet and getting grease everywhere. Right where one walks through too, so now I need to attempt to clean the carpet without making another entry here. fuck fuck fuck

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a long walk back to the car because I decided to trust a spare tube that has been in the back of my car for a number of years. I got a puncher pulled the spare out, pumped it up and realised it was F%#$ed.

The worst part is my ride was pretty much all climbs to the top of the local trails and I had to do the walk of shame back to the car as it was a solo ride. I was going to try cutting the tube and tying it up to seal some air and get rolling but had nothing on me to try that as well. Lesson learnt Fuck Wit!!!

stirk

Burner
I nominate myself for fuck wittery. Left my rear wheel sitting ontop of a speaker (nfi what I was thinking) in my home theater room to go help the wife and came back to find the wheel had toppled off. DT Swiss freehub came apart, dropping the star ratchets onto my new carpet and getting grease everywhere. Right where one walks through too, so now I need to attempt to clean the carpet without making another entry here. fuck fuck fuck
Bike maintenance is never a good idea in a carpeted room!

I did some work inside once, I thought the bike was clean but little bits of greasy crud fell off the jockey wheels onto a white runner I happened to be working on. Didn't know till I walked it in smearing into larger stains. The wife still not happy about that one.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Bike maintenance is never a good idea in a carpeted room!

I did some work inside once, I thought the bike was clean but little bits of greasy crud fell off the jockey wheels onto a white runner I happened to be working on. Didn't know till I walked it in smearing into larger stains. The wife still not happy about that one.
my bike maintenance area is at the back of the home theater room on top a rug that's on top of plastic sheeting. fuck wit me left wheel elsewhere in the room

my wife complained she didn't see me the with bike stand in the garage and grew tired of it in the lounge so I compromised.

stirk

Burner
my bike maintenance area is at the back of the home theater room on top a rug that's on top of plastic sheeting. fuck wit me left wheel elsewhere in the room

my wife complained she didn't see me the with bike stand in the garage and grew tired of it in the lounge so I compromised.
Awwwe that's so cute

MarioM

Likes Dirt
All set for my wednesday night ride , travel an hour to Kentlyn jump out of the car and realise i have left my shoes at home . Oh well i figure i`m here already my mate is ready to roll so i think fuck it I`ll go out anyway . Little candy pedals and work shoes are not a good mix had some sketchy moments but managed to hit most of the A lines . This is twice now that I forgot my shoes the last one being Woodford to Glenbrook - that time it was little candy`s with skate shoes and some very hairy moments at about 72 kmph . Spare shoes now live in the car !

stirk

Burner
It has been a while since my last confession, I am overdue.

Thought I'd install a 680 width bar to temporarily replace a 740 as an experiment to see if I need more backswee... never mind the rest....

I'm a fuckwit for even thinking going narrower would feel better even as a test, it felt dirty.

I am ashamed.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i bought 3 shocks... 2 dont fit, 1 sort of does...

my bargain CCDB also turned out to be an expensive CCDB after the "recently serviced by NSD" really meant "i had it serviced by NSD just long enough ago that the sticker is still on there... however i've fucked with some things, and you'll need to spend a couple of hundred dollars at NSD to make it work"

i also bought forks that are borderline in the steerer length department. currently running a slammed stem with no bearing dust cover...

camoshop

Banned
i bought 3 shocks... 2 dont fit, 1 sort of does...

my bargain CCDB also turned out to be an expensive CCDB after the "recently serviced by NSD" really meant "i had it serviced by NSD just long enough ago that the sticker is still on there... however i've fucked with some things, and you'll need to spend a couple of hundred dollars at NSD to make it work"
Back to the drawing board so to speak for you to pay for those mishaps :tape2: