All Mountain Tyres

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I've run some non-TR maxxis tubeless and as Rod says they work just fine with UST rims.
and non UST rims too. Like BoomKs. I've not run a UST rims or tyres for years, always run tubeless. DH also, but I'm lightweight, and relatively slow, still my DH tyres look like something from an adult movie, with sealant squirts from burping, the whole way around. I am not a smooth rider.

Last edited:

fedor346

Likes Dirt
I don't think minion dhf super tacky's like sealant. They seal but the side walls keep seaping. After a month u have to top up again whereas a tr tyre will still have sealant. Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Gav

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Why are there so many tyre failures in elite DH? At Rotorua a week or so back, every other rider was copping flats.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I don't think minion dhf super tacky's like sealant. They seal but the side walls keep seaping. After a month u have to top up again whereas a tr tyre will still have sealant. Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Gav
Interesting. I've run them for years tubeless no worries. Might weep a touch but not loads.
Some free non Maxxis tyres I've run have weeped terribly, still seal, just have to be pumped before each ride. Only about 20% of my tyres don't loose air over time. I confess that, but any tubed ones I run aren't 100% either due to patches or whatever. Suppose I'm just used to checking pressures every ride. Don't recall if I had to do it when I tried tubeless MAxxis DHFs years ago. Before they all ripped at the bead prematurely.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Regretting not going 3c compound on my front tyre...

Currently running a 2.3" TR EXO High Roller 2, what are the pro's and cons of going to a 3c HR2, DHR2 or DHF? I'm leaning toward trying the 3c DHF, however the DHR2 looks like a good compromise of the HR2's speed and DHF's grip...

moman

Likes Dirt
No expert can't notice too much on the rear but on the front my 3C's just seems a bit tackier.

I was running a HR2 and it rarely felt like it would let go on anything. To save some weight mostly I switched to a DHR2 on the front and found it definitely is lighter, rolls a little better and although not as confidence as inspiring as the HR2 I have found myself pushing it more and more and it not missing a beat.

My two combos at the moment are HR2 front and ardent back for a bit more grip and DHR2 and 2.35 Ikon for a bit more speed/weight saving.

All of my tyres (thanks to Pushys :) are currently 29er 3C/EXO/TR

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Hey all, I just ordered a new pair of tyres.. a 26x2.3 HR2 for the rear and a 26x2.35 minion DHF for the front..

The minion ended up being a 2.30, not 2.35 ... Mistake on the website etc and seems there is actually no such thing as a 2.35 in tr exo.. Anyway..

I can return it, due to the mistake.. But what do the 2.3 minions blow up like? I find maxxis usually quite narrow.. Would prefer a 2.4 or at least 2.35 for the front..

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Interesting. I've run them for years tubeless no worries. Might weep a touch but not loads.
Some free non Maxxis tyres I've run have weeped terribly, still seal, just have to be pumped before each ride. Only about 20% of my tyres don't loose air over time. I confess that, but any tubed ones I run aren't 100% either due to patches or whatever. Suppose I'm just used to checking pressures every ride. Don't recall if I had to do it when I tried tubeless MAxxis DHFs years ago. Before they all ripped at the bead prematurely.
Yeah dunno but that's my experience with them. Mine were used and came with the bike so did the conversion to try tubeless out might be different if brand new. Now i just run hr2 and ardent rear both tr and no seapage from side walls.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Guys,
Out of curiousity what's the casing height of a dhr2 like? Is it as tall as an ardent? Or do they come up a bit small?
Cheers
Gav

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Hey all, I just ordered a new pair of tyres.. a 26x2.3 HR2 for the rear and a 26x2.35 minion DHF for the front..

The minion ended up being a 2.30, not 2.35 ... Mistake on the website etc and seems there is actually no such thing as a 2.35 in tr exo.. Anyway..

I can return it, due to the mistake.. But what do the 2.3 minions blow up like? I find maxxis usually quite narrow.. Would prefer a 2.4 or at least 2.35 for the front..
I've just fitted some new minions (F&R), and they're much larger than the old ones; I'd say they're pretty close to stated size.

mitchy_

Llama calmer

You bought that minion from mountain bikes direct didn't you? Bastard.
I was going to pick one up from them after work yesterday, was in stock in the morning but not in the arvo!

You do realise there is about 1mm difference between 2.3 and 2.35" though, right?
That version only comes in 2.3 or 2.5".

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up a set of the new Nobby Nics and they have been great. I've been really impressed with their grip and predictability.

The 26x2.25" Snakeskin Pacestar came in at around 615g. A word of warning for those looking at these tyres - the Gatestar compound varieties weigh significantly more than Pacestar compound tyres of the same casing and size, despite Schwalbe claiming the same weight. The 26x2.25" Snakeskin Gatestar Nic I received came in at 735g - a massive 155g (or ~25%) over the claimed weight of 580g, and 120g more than the equivalent Pacestar. Seems too much of a difference to be a manufacturing variability. Interestingly my verniers tell me the tread is slightly wider (by around 1.5mm) and the casing does feel a little thicker.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Picked up a set of the new Nobby Nics and they have been great. I've been really impressed with their grip and predictability.

The 26x2.25" Snakeskin Pacestar came in at around 615g. A word of warning for those looking at these tyres - the Gatestar compound varieties weigh significantly more than Pacestar compound tyres of the same casing and size, despite Schwalbe claiming the same weight. The 26x2.25" Snakeskin Gatestar Nic I received came in at 735g - a massive 155g (or ~25%) over the claimed weight of 580g, and 120g more than the equivalent Pacestar. Seems too much of a difference to be a manufacturing variability. Interestingly my verniers tell me the tread is slightly wider (by around 1.5mm) and the casing does feel a little thicker.
If you've used a Hans Dampf before, how would you compare the new Nic with a Hans?
Similar tread pattern, considering using it as a rear tyre again.

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
If you've used a Hans Dampf before, how would you compare the new Nic with a Hans?
I'm running a New Nobby Nic 2.25 Pacestar on the rear with a Hans up front. Great combination. Plenty of grip from the rear. Might go a Nic on the front in 2.35 when the Hans dies.....

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't spent enough time on a HD to comment sorry.

Really enjoying having the same tyre front and rear again. I had been running the popular aggressive front tyre and fast rolling rear setup for years. With the Nics I've sacrificed some front end grip, but overall the bike feels much more stable, predictable and ready to be pushed hard now

rtd

Likes Dirt
Anyone running 2.3 HR2's f&r on a 26inch trail bike? Seems sluggish to me. Might go HR2 front ardent rear soon.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Anyone running 2.3 HR2's f&r on a 26inch trail bike? Seems sluggish to me. Might go HR2 front ardent rear soon.
I've run it before with a minion in front. It's not bad grip is good cornering I recon you're better keeping it for the colder wetter months. I've been running hr2 front and ardent rear - it's faster - but I'm about to change back I don't like the ardent rear once things get wet.
Cheers
Gav

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
Haven't spent enough time on a HD to comment sorry.

Really enjoying having the same tyre front and rear again. I had been running the popular aggressive front tyre and fast rolling rear setup for years. With the Nics I've sacrificed some front end grip, but overall the bike feels much more stable, predictable and ready to be pushed hard now
Just replaced the 2.35 HD Trailstar Snakeskin with a 2.35 Nobby Nic Pacestar Snakeskin. I loved the HD up front and got great life out of it but just thought I'd try something different with the new NN.

For those interested, the 2.35 HD Snakeskin that came off was 800g and the 2.35 Snakeskin Nobby Nic that has gone on is 690g.

moorey

call me Mia
2.3 hr2/minion at the moment. Loving the grip, but totes feel the rolling resistance over my usual povo version 2.4 NN's

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was running them and thought they were great, but a bit draggy. Then I swapped to Hans Dampf and they were super slow. So I now am running HR2 rear and HD front, but may also swap to an Ardent rear.