New XT.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's my plan....... When/if ze Germans come up with the goods....
Yep their usual efficiency seems to have suffered under the weight of the demand. I am now heading into nearly 2 weeks territory....Never waited this long from the Germans before... I'm sure Auspost/customs is probably dragging the chain as well.

slowmick

38-39"
Is there much difference in running a long cage and medium cage on a 1x system? am thinking of getting a long cage in case i want to go back to 2x in the future.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Is there much difference in running a long cage and medium cage on a 1x system? am thinking of getting a long cage in case i want to go back to 2x in the future.
Check the #teeth calculators around but I'm pretty sure a mid cage will handle 2x on a regular cassette.... these monster 42t things might need long with 2x though

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Postie delivered a box full of Kool Aid today. Fitting in the morning then off to the Youies.

herbman

Likes Dirt
Looks like what turned up in my mail box 2 weeks ago.

And very happy with the shifting but the chain line seems to be an issue. Got to get around to swapping the bb spacer around ( PF bbs suck) and then maybe some chain ring spacers.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Anyone running the new XT RD & shifter with a SRAM 10-42 cassette with success? Would like to hear some first hand experiences and component set ups

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Anyone running the new XT RD & shifter with a SRAM 10-42 cassette with success? Would like to hear some first hand experiences and component set ups
Yes mate, got a review post a few pages back. Went from xx1 setup to XT deraileur and XT shifter ( after destroying a deraileur). Now prefer t XT version for shifting ergonomics and shifts really well between the 10 and 12 - better than the xx1 before it.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
What chain and front ring are you using pharmaboy? I think I read your initial post just want to see if anyone else is using it and has any problems or different issues or if everyone is having no dramas

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Chain is SRAM xx1, and xx1 chainring. There's a school of thought that you should match the chain and cassette brand to get the best in shifting . I'm happy with the SRAM chains with their link so will continue to use .

moorey

call me Mia
Chain is SRAM xx1, and xx1 chainring. There's a school of thought that you should match the chain and cassette brand to get the best in shifting . I'm happy with the SRAM chains with their link so will continue to use .
It's a silly school of thought promoted by the manufacturer.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Mostly the case, but I did read one independent magazine article a while ago that found SRAM 10-sp. cassettes with an aluminium big sprocket don't like Shimano chains; apparently the ramping on the links is different enough to damage the teeth.

moorey

call me Mia
Mostly the case, but I did read one independent magazine article a while ago that found SRAM 10-sp. cassettes with an aluminium big sprocket don't like Shimano chains; apparently the ramping on the links is different enough to damage the teeth.
Haven't found that issue, personally. One of my setups runs pg1050 cassette and hg95 chain. Maybe the 1050 isn't alloy, haven't paid attention. :noidea:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
There's no need for manufacturers to promote silliness when it comes to bike nerds . ( we have richard Cunningham for that)

Hate those stupid shimano pins - fortunately kmc and ybn chains work nicely with shimano.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Mine arrived yesterday from CRC.

Cassette and RD came in retail packing (boxed). XTR shifter and chain in OEM packing.

Pics with weighs to follow later but:

- Shimano 105 11sp chain: 270grs, 116 links
- XTR M9000 bar mount shifter: 118grs
- XT M8000 11-42 cassette: 431grs
- XT RD-M8000 (long cage): 276grs

Flint

Likes Dirt
I have 3 rides on my new XT 1x11 now. The 1st 2 were fine but just before the 3rd I noticed I’d left the clutch off. So I flipped it on and off I went. The clutch was way too tight and I broke a tooth of my 42, it’s now a 41 :-/

Make sure your check and adjust your clutch tension before riding. I now have mine set very light.

Cheers

Minlak

custom titis
I have 3 rides on my new XT 1x11 now. The 1st 2 were fine but just before the 3rd I noticed I’d left the clutch off. So I flipped it on and off I went. The clutch was way too tight and I broke a tooth of my 42, it’s now a 41 :-/

Make sure your check and adjust your clutch tension before riding. I now have mine set very light.

Cheers
How does that break a tooth off? ...... Serious question I can't fathom a situation where a clutch can break a single tooth.