New XT.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Upgrade kit specifically, I got the M8000 Shifter, cassette, mech and chain for $280 del. That's the best price I could find.
That's a good price. I paid ~$400 from Pushy's, but that included a Raceface chain ring (~$80) and a KMC chain instead of a Shimano (after a previous XT chain was worn out after ~500km of pretty easy riding I'm done with Shimano's chains!)

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Upgrade kit specifically, I got the M8000 Shifter, cassette, mech and chain for $280 del. That's the best price I could find.
T7 had them for that a month ago, good buying at that price. I got my cover out of the UK for about $10 shipped, before the £ went south.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone pushing 11-46 yet?

It's up on zee Germans site but currently out of stock.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-xt-11-speed-cassette-cs-m8000-11-46t-532029/wg_id-6570

Seems like a big jump in gear ratios from 37t to 46t and probably needs a long cage derailleur which I don't like.

It would be good to know if that change to the granny works ok in the real world and if a medium cage derailleur will work.
Comes stock on Giant's 2017 bikes with XT (only the anthems are available at the moment, trance/reigns a couple of months away). Might have a check tomorrow to see if they are a longer cage.

Don't understand people's hate of longer cages, yet to see anyone break a derailleur due to the length of the cage been a problem in 10 years. Are you riding in ruts that are 10cm deep, just wide enough for a tyre and perfect vertical walls in this shape |_| ? I'd question your line choice rather than your cage length.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Anyone pushing 11-46 yet?

It's up on zee Germans site but currently out of stock.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-xt-11-speed-cassette-cs-m8000-11-46t-532029/wg_id-6570

Seems like a big jump in gear ratios from 37t to 46t and probably needs a long cage derailleur which I don't like.

It would be good to know if that change to the granny works ok in the real world and if a medium cage derailleur will work.
Judging by the Q&A on CRC, a GS (Medium) cage XT M8000 Rear Derailleur should be fine to use. Still, that gap in the gearing though, it's huge!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-xt-m8000-11-speed-11-46t-cassette/rp-prod149701

edit: And, searching the Shimano Tech Docs lists the M8000-GS as:

1x11 - 46t Max
2x11 - 42t Max

(http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/2.0/MTB/Cassette Sprocket?q=rd-m8000)

So a medium will be OK.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yup, medium cage has a capacity (difference between biggest & smallest, including multiple chainrings if applicable) of 39T, so the 35T difference across the 11-46 cassette on a 1x is within that range. They suggest even with the long cage 46 should only be used with a 1x, but it does have the capacity to take 46 in a 2x system.

stirk

Burner
Cheers fellas, that's promising as I could push a 32 ring with a 46 out back.

Alo, I do actually ride through little shutes as you describe and just prefer the shortest cage possible due to the very rocky nature of some trails in my area. Hitting rocks did happen more frequently when I had a long cage derailleur on. Poor line choice is likely a factor..

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I went with 11-42 cassettes for both bikes . The Mondraker has a 34 front ring and the Merida a 30 . Mondraker is 27.5 and the Merida a 26 " . So far , its only been a week , I have not had to use the 42 on the Mondraker . Not ridden the Merida as its wheel is getting trued but will be riding it on the weekend . Its funny how wheel size plays a part in gearing or is it my imagination ?
I too was curious about the 11-46 until I found the jump and thought it was very stupid .

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You'd be better off swapping the chainrings between the two bikes. The smaller wheel lowers the roll-out of any given gear ratio, so you'd generally put a larger ring on a 26" bike, and progressively smaller on 27.5" & 29" to balance them out.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
You'd be better off swapping the chainrings between the two bikes. The smaller wheel lowers the roll-out of any given gear ratio, so you'd generally put a larger ring on a 26" bike, and progressively smaller on 27.5" & 29" to balance them out.
Yeah , I`m getting a 32 as well . I have a spare 34 so will alternate on this bike as its the XC race rig so depending on course and duration of race .

rsclio

Likes Dirt
M8000 crank BB compatibility?

Hi
if I change to an M8000 crankset to I need to change BB at the same time.
Currently have a threaded hollowtech II cups with a M785 crank
Cheers

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Hi
if I change to an M8000 crankset to I need to change BB at the same time.
Currently have a threaded hollowtech II cups with a M785 crank
Cheers
Nope, you'll be fine with your current BB. The new 8000 and 9000 BB series use smaller external diameter cups, but the internal diameter is the same.