New XT.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Nah, it's recent - no black out plates on any 2015 on mtbr - mine were a proper Aus delivered retail box - no blanking plates. Obviously someone apt shimano thinks those windows are awesome
Bummer. Why Shimano keeps making them anyways?

OTOH... these go to ELEVAN!!!

moorey

call me Mia
Nah, it's recent - no black out plates on any 2015 on mtbr - mine were a proper Aus delivered retail box - no blanking plates. Obviously someone apt shimano thinks those windows are awesome
OR, they want to encourage you to move everything to iSpec 2 with new brakes, or suffer with xtr bar clamp. This is my vote.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
OR, they want to encourage you to move everything to iSpec 2 with new brakes, or suffer with xtr bar clamp. This is my vote.
Haha - that would be the most hedonistic thing ever. In order to avoid a bit of tape over your shifter, you have to get new brakes..... ;D

Anyway, for anyone that has a new build on the way, given the longevity of the sram cassette, the extra range, and the superior shifting of the XT, not to mention the far better value - get XT shifter and dérailleur , and if budget allows, get the SRAM cassette ( make sure you change your chains often though)

Ivan

Eats Squid
I just checked the XTR 11-40, and the chain did not derail at all when back-pedalling. That's with a shimano 11sp chain (105)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440206099.987972.jpg

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Just tested the 10:42 for back pedalling, and yes drops down to the next cog from the 42 but not any problem in any other gears.

Speculation - 40 is all good, 42 is a little bit of a stretch . So if you are the type who does a full spin backward while in the 42, then get a 40 cassette. Personally, back pedalling is rare for me and it's only in the middle of the cassette through rocks etc - in the 42 it would very by occasional and a quarter turn at most

Warp

Likes Dirt
Just tested the 10:42 for back pedalling, and yes drops down to the next cog from the 42 but not any problem in any other gears.

Speculation - 40 is all good, 42 is a little bit of a stretch . So if you are the type who does a full spin backward while in the 42, then get a 40 cassette. Personally, back pedalling is rare for me and it's only in the middle of the cassette through rocks etc - in the 42 it would very by occasional and a quarter turn at most
Thanks for the feedback. Pedaling backwards is a bad old habit I have from when I'm coasting. Something I don't expect to do in the big cog to be honest. Not that it will stop me from getting a 11-42. It just gives me more options.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was the first thing I noticed on sram x01 11sp but its never been an issue on the trail, just in the garage. I know its chainline related but I'd hazard a guess its also rear axle to bb height related too, so some bikes with a higher bb or less sag might cope better I wonder.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

Would increasing chain tension by taking a link or 2 off the chain help, or would it cause other problems?

Also, could I use Zee cranks with a NW ring for an XT drivetrain, or would it be better to use the XT 1x cranks + Shimano NW XT chainring?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Would increasing chain tension by taking a link or 2 off the chain help, or would it cause other problems?

Also, could I use Zee cranks with a NW ring for an XT drivetrain, or would it be better to use the XT 1x cranks + Shimano NW XT chainring?
Zee cranks with NW will be sweet.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.

Probably not, it happens on the top, not the bottom where the clutch or derailleur is pulling on the chain creating tension. I should also let all the air out of the shock and cmpress the rear and see what happens with the chain falling off, probably nothing.

Yup zee with an NW ring will work, for any drivetrain combination. I'd go the cheapest option but with the best bling bling ring.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Lucky bugger, any idea what your chainstay length is? or front ring spacing?
Chainstay is a long 17.5". This would probably help the issue quite a bit.

Chainline is probably around 51mm (it's a specialized, so it came with the chainline for 142+, which i am guessing is around 52mm, but I have a 30t Race Face narrow wide which moves that chainline back inboard by 1 or 2 mm.)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It'd do absolutely stuff all because derailleur spring is what controls chain tension, not chain length. Making the chain shorter would cause little problems like ripping your derailleur off or apart....

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Zee cranks with NW will be sweet.
Probably not, it happens on the top, not the bottom where the clutch or derailleur is pulling on the chain creating tension. I should also let all the air out of the shock and cmpress the rear and see what happens with the chain falling off, probably nothing.

Yup zee with an NW ring will work, for any drivetrain combination. I'd go the cheapest option but with the best bling bling ring.
Cool, thanks BoomKing & MWI