Terrorism: Paris, Syria, Turkey, Belgium, Florida......

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually, turns out they probably didn't.

Russia likely ended the (Pacific theatre of the) Second World War by declaring war on Japan. Lots of evidence coming to light that the Japanese weren't as phased by Hiroshima and Nagasaki as we'd like to imagine.

I'm sure you're only trolling. If you're not, please, just pretend you are.
Maybe a tiny little bit....I'll show myself out thanks and stay out of this thread.

placebo

Likes Dirt
Funny how the US ended the second world war with a few bombs.
A lot of bombs really. Curtis LeMay replaced the USAAF bombing doctrine with that of the RAFs "Bomber" Harris, and basically burned Japan to the ground, while the US Navy starved the life out of what was left.

[video=youtube;FYxXFwIPGHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYxXFwIPGHk[/video]

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm starting to find the French flag filters that Facebook have foisted upon us to be frankly fucking offensive.

I'm pretty sure we've gone over the discussion as to why attacks such as the one in Paris shock us Westerners more than the equivalent happening elsewhere and I can understand our media giving it priority coverage however last time I checked Facebook was a global social network. Shouldn't they have been dishing out Lebanese flag filters the day before?

Facebook have also gone to great lengths to state that the Flag filter is temporary presumably in order to encourage as many people to use this as possible. Now seeing as a great deal of social networking sites (Strava, Instagram, Tinder to name but a few) and news-site comment sections are now set-up to link through FB. This means that you cannot escape the ubiquitous tres-coleurs filter and you're reminded yet again that you also cannot escape the clutches of Facebook but don't worry, they really care for people.

Smells like opportunism to me. Fuck those pricks.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Last time I looked on FB it wasn't compulsory to add the filter to your image and it isn't being added automatically so what is the problem?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah gotta say, lot more things in life worth getting pissed about than social media trends, as superficial as they may be.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I'm starting to find the French flag filters that Facebook have foisted upon us to be frankly fucking offensive.

I'm pretty sure we've gone over the discussion as to why attacks such as the one in Paris shock us Westerners more than the equivalent happening elsewhere and I can understand our media giving it priority coverage however last time I checked Facebook was a global social network. Shouldn't they have been dishing out Lebanese flag filters the day before?

Facebook have also gone to great lengths to state that the Flag filter is temporary presumably in order to encourage as many people to use this as possible. Now seeing as a great deal of social networking sites (Strava, Instagram, Tinder to name but a few) and news-site comment sections are now set-up to link through FB. This means that you cannot escape the ubiquitous tres-coleurs filter and you're reminded yet again that you also cannot escape the clutches of Facebook but don't worry, they really care for people.

It is really not a big deal POSM- it is simply a way to show support. People can choose to add the filter if they wish. Bigger issues to get passionate and offended about mate.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
It's the whole exploitation of compassion thing with a side-helping of people blindly following fashion. Are we going to see these filters get trotted out every time there's a horrible tragedy and/or worthy social cause? Do we get to choose our own ones or is this purely down to Facebook's marketing department?

And yes, there are bigger issues out there but I believe we've discussed them at length. Hence why this is on page 11 and not on page 1.

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Let's not forget the morning shows quickly whipping reporters over there, sad faces put on. Now the naming of these fuckwit terrorists so their names will be glorified in the other side. I believe the more coverage given to these cowardly attacks the more it inspires them.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
It's the whole exploitation of compassion thing with a side-helping of people blindly following fashion. Are we going to see these filters get trotted out every time there's a horrible tragedy and/or worthy social cause? Do we get to choose our own ones or is this purely down to Facebook's marketing department?

And yes, there are bigger issues out there but I believe we've discussed them at length. Hence why this is on page 11 and not on page 1.
Slacktivism

I'll ad, people "praying" for the people of Paris as another newsfeed winner. Fuck that - religion is part of the problem here, fighting religion with religious platitudes seems wholly inappropriate to me.

Anyway, never get involved with Facebook campaigns of trying to feel lovely, but will occasionally share one of the posts that points out how dumb you need to be to post OMG in the comments section and see what happens, or various science stuff that says the latest fad on Facebook is complete bullshit and here's why....

Ok, slow deep breaths into the paper bag pharma.......

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Fuck that - religion is part of the problem here,
I think that's lazy analysis.

Religion is clearly part of a motivating factor, a tool of manipulation, a justifying cause for some, etc. etc. Definitely part of the picture but part of the problem is a bit more difficult. The reason I say this is that there are far more peaceful religious people than there are violent extreme religious types. Secondly, this kind of behaviour is not in any way unique to religion. Far worse things have been perpetrated by people in the name of nations and political ideologies. Secular terror groups such as FARC, Shining Path, Red Brigades, etc. have committed similar mass atrocities. Non-religious groups such as Weather Underground and individuals such as Ted Kaczinski have attacked innocent people en masse without any religious motivations. Then we have kids shooting up schools, movie cinemas, Tasmanian tourist spots, etc.

Religion is a factor seen involved in violent events but it's just one of many. Secondly, let's say that it IS part of the problem, what's to say that it's not also part of the solution? If the violent and extreme elements found in Salfism, etc. can be undermined by the peaceful elements found in religion would that not be a good solution?

I find your reaction to this to be driven by frustration and anger, not the more cooler headed thought you often give to other issues.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yeah gotta say, lot more things in life worth getting pissed about than social media trends, as superficial as they may be.
Ok, I'm going to delve further into what narks me about the FB flag filter and it's not as superficial as you may think (unlike say, hipster beards :wink:). From what I've seen on Facebook and recent news photos of famous landmarks the western world over, it's as if the planet's been painted red, white and blue. Which on one level is quite heartwarming but on the other hand-especially with the ubiquitous and global Facebook- it also rams home the fact that we as a global culture really do not give a shit about dead brown people seeing as there were horrific terrorist attacks in Baghdad and Beirut in the previous days.

People keep saying ISIS recruit from the disenfranchised. I'd say that's pretty bloody disenfranchising.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Listening to this at the mo, might interest some - http://www.brookings.edu/events/2015/11/12-religious-violence-dionne-galston

In his new book, "Not in God’s Name: Confronting Religious Violence," Rabbi Jonathan Sacks examines the recent phenomenon of violent extremism by exploring the origins of violence and its relationship to religion. Rabbi Sacks challenges the assertion that religion is an intrinsic source of violence and describes how theology can be central to combating religious violence and extremism. Through analysis of biblical texts tied to the three Abrahamic faiths, Rabbi Sacks illustrates how religiously-inspired violence stems from a critical misreading of these texts.

On November 12, Governance Studies at Brookings hosted a discussion addressing Rabbi Sacks’ book and other important issues related to the roots of religious violence. This event is part of the long-running Governing Ideas book series, which is hosted by William A. Galston.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Johnny, think you're putting too much faith in my post, that wasn't analysis, that was a Social media rant, where people think they can change the world with Facebook rainbows and unicorn farts.

Though regardless, I will read your post a few times more

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Ok, I'm going to delve further into what narks me about the FB flag filter and it's not as superficial as you may think (unlike say, hipster beards :wink:). From what I've seen on Facebook and recent news photos of famous landmarks the western world over, it's as if the planet's been painted red, white and blue. Which on one level is quite heartwarming but on the other hand-especially with the ubiquitous and global Facebook- it also rams home the fact that we as a global culture really do not give a shit about dead brown people seeing as there were horrific terrorist attacks in Baghdad and Beirut in the previous days.

People keep saying ISIS recruit from the disenfranchised. I'd say that's pretty bloody disenfranchising.
Can I have a go at this. This was the new Matilda article that directly compared Paris with Beirut the day before, and called "brown", which really just means we think you are a bunch of racist fucks.

However, in the same week, a plane full of Russians died as well, and we didn't give a shit about them either.

Shouldn't that make it easy to figure out there is something more to think about than a simple, "they are brown, and that suits my narrative"?

I'm not saying there isn't some element of that, but how people relate or not to tragedies in other countries is a very complex issue. People align with groups, we don't simply align with racial profiles, but also cultural, and a whole lot of "there for the grace of dog go I" kind of moments.

So why not relate to the Russians who are Northern European? Who knows! Why don't we relate to a Lebanon bombing, or an Israel bombing? Not completely sure, but the wrong question is being asked.

It's nit who we fail to seemingly care, but who do we over react to and have deep empathy for no apparent reason?

The centre of Paris is the one of the most visited cities in the world, as is London - so not only are they Western ( a pre requisite), they are also familiar, if not in person, then at least in dreams and cultural knowledge.

Cutting it down to just a "brown" issue is simplistic, but more importantly, it fits someone's preconceptions - a must for an op ed

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Johnny, think you're putting too much faith in my post, that wasn't analysis, that was a Social media rant, where people think they can change the world with Facebook rainbows and unicorn farts.

Though regardless, I will read your post a few times more
Yeah, fair enough. Prob also responding to the multitudes I've heard say similar stuff more so than just you. Just chose you to respond to, I guess.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Can I have a go at this. This was the new Matilda article that directly compared Paris with Beirut the day before, and called "brown", which really just means we think you are a bunch of racist fucks.

However, in the same week, a plane full of Russians died as well, and we didn't give a shit about them either.

Shouldn't that make it easy to figure out there is something more to think about than a simple, "they are brown, and that suits my narrative"?

I'm not saying there isn't some element of that, but how people relate or not to tragedies in other countries is a very complex issue. People align with groups, we don't simply align with racial profiles, but also cultural, and a whole lot of "there for the grace of dog go I" kind of moments.

So why not relate to the Russians who are Northern European? Who knows! Why don't we relate to a Lebanon bombing, or an Israel bombing? Not completely sure, but the wrong question is being asked.

It's nit who we fail to seemingly care, but who do we over react to and have deep empathy for no apparent reason?

The centre of Paris is the one of the most visited cities in the world, as is London - so not only are they Western ( a pre requisite), they are also familiar, if not in person, then at least in dreams and cultural knowledge.

Cutting it down to just a "brown" issue is simplistic, but more importantly, it fits someone's preconceptions - a must for an op ed
As far as I'm concerned the flippant referral to any ethnically foreign culture as 'brown people' when commenting on our own prejudices goes all the way back to Bill Hicks 25 years ago.

Pretty good point on the Russian airliner though, even I'd forgotten about that. Obviously not worthy of a filter...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah. I don't want to have a shot at Peter Fitzsimons here, because I think as newspapers gradually lose relevance to the internet it's nice that they're paying someone to print a column that is basically chain emails and jokes from the internet, I can't understand why anyone would read his books when they can just go back to the books written by the people who actually experienced what he is writing about, and are better writers to boot.
Fitzsimons is a bogan goose, or so his writings tell me.

Not to be all bermshot, but fb is owned by a Jewish fellow...I knew a lady that worked there, "merry Christmas" was not part of the office narrative.

Only a few years back we hated the French. Freedom fries motherfuckers!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

I think some of it comes down to desensitisation and compassion fatigue. Blasts in Iraq happen almost hourly, we've lived with that since 2003. Blasts in Lebanon are also relatively very common. Terror attacks in Egypt are also relatively quite common. Sure, aircraft coming down aren't but attacks on Sharm el Sheikh, attacks in Sinai, general unrest in Egypt has been a weekly occurrence for years.

Part of the reason is - along side who we identify with and as well probably with some an element of ignorance and racism - simple desensitisation. Another part is, very, very few of us would ever consider going to southern Lebanon, Sinai or Baghdad. Therefore it doesn't resonate with us because it has very little relation to us. Paris, on the other hand, many of us have been there, have friends and family there, want to go there. Lastly, Lebanon, Egypt and Iraq are very unlike where we live, we have trouble relating to those who live there and life in general there. PAris, on the other hand is very close to our own homes so we feel some empathy for the French and fear that it could have been us and one day might.