Terrorism: Paris, Syria, Turkey, Belgium, Florida......

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Wow. Bermshot has been banned. I sort of hope the crazy cat comes back using a different username but I think it may be a little obvious if he did. He had a unique way with words for sure.
Nah. It's been a chore reading his drivel over the last few years and having just read his last few posts, I agree with Dozer that they were inexcusable.

Fuck the inbred nazi twat.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, he was a fake anyway. His trolling was boring and offended quite a few people who sent in complaints to us. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Regards to refugees, there's heaps that have been housed closed to where I live and there's no problem here. They work, they open shops, they live like other people. I got no problem with them.

The people I do see that concern me are the bikies and the junkies; neither group is made up of refugees.

Regards to refugees, there's heaps that have been housed closed to where I live and there's no problem here. They work, they open shops, they live like other people. I got no problem with them.

The people I do see that concern me are the bikies and the junkies; neither group is made up of refugees.
the commonality is more along the lines of being an arsehole

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yes, unfortunately arseholism doesn't discriminate against race, ethnicity, age or gender. It is an affliction that can affect us all and only we can stop it by the choices we make. Do the responsible thing and wear a condom over your head whenever you leave your home. It's the only way we will stop the scourge of arseholism spreading across the world today.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes, unfortunately arseholism doesn't discriminate against race, ethnicity, age or gender. It is an affliction that can affect us all and only we can stop it by the choices we make. Do the responsible thing and wear a condom over your head whenever you leave your home. It's the only way we will stop the scourge of arseholism spreading across the world today.
I'm currently making a foil suit...arsehole radiation is toxic

I have seen (on very rare occasions) some refugees cross over to the negative cliches referred to. But it generally is not the case. I can't imagine it is all that easy to transition from war/violence - poverty/on the run - chaos of refugee camps - new "home" where you don't speak the language or know the customs and settle. In a simple sense, what do you put on a job application at 19 years of age if you have been on the move since you were 12? Does the department of immigration have a special device that gives immediate numeracy and literacy skills? People can easily be welcome, and still accidentally locked out.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I have seen (on very rare occasions) some refugees cross over to the negative cliches referred to. But it generally is not the case. I can't imagine it is all that easy to transition from war/violence - poverty/on the run - chaos of refugee camps - new "home" where you don't speak the language or know the customs and settle.
The PM was right when he said it was/is not first generation arrivals that are the problem, but second and third generation Australians. Why? Possibly a lack of identity. I was watching a documentary about the Cronulla riots a few years ago that inteviewed scores of 2nd and third generation Lebanese Australians (all around the 18-25 yo mark). They unanimously said that they didn't feel like "Lebanese" as their relatives and family from home and abroad said they were not as they weren't born there. Equally, they didn't feel Australian either due to a number of factors I can't remember, so they're in a sort of limbo. Look at that Hon Manal Mounis idiot (Lindt siege). Dickhead had applied to be a member of hardline Shia groups, bikie gangs, drug cartels, anyone who would take him and give him a sense of belonging. Eventually settled with IS as they don't appear to be overly fussy with recruitment.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The PM was right when he said it was/is not first generation arrivals that are the problem, but second and third generation Australians. Why? Possibly a lack of identity. I was watching a documentary about the Cronulla riots a few years ago that inteviewed scores of 2nd and third generation Lebanese Australians (all around the 18-25 yo mark). They unanimously said that they didn't feel like "Lebanese" as their relatives and family from home and abroad said they were not as they weren't born there. Equally, they didn't feel Australian either due to a number of factors I can't remember, so they're in a sort of limbo. Look at that Hon Manal Mounis idiot (Lindt siege). Dickhead had applied to be a member of hardline Shia groups, bikie gangs, drug cartels, anyone who would take him and give him a sense of belonging. Eventually settled with IS as they don't appear to be overly fussy with recruitment.
Inclusion-exclusion.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
ICE is the biggest issue around my area- add ICE to anglo bogan arsewits and you create a new regime of fuckwittery

I am a proud supporter of refugees and would gladly open my heart/ home to people genuinely fleeing war and strife. We need to insure our immigration checks are solid but after 2 years in detention- we should have got it right by then. Christ probably encouraged more dissent and hatred.

Islamo- Fascism - Islamic extremists hell bent on slaughtering all who wont accept their narrow fucked up view of culture and religion. The West has alot to answer for- supporting Al Quida in Pakistan, invading Iraq, blindly supporting Israel, supporting the uprising in Libya, supporting opposition in Syria and turning a blind eye to the funding of extremist groups by Pakistan, Saudi and Qatar. We have helped to make quite a mess in the region. We need to accept and acknowledge poor decisions before we can make a difference IMO.

How can ISIS, Boko Horam?, Al Quida be stopped?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
My solution (be forewarned, it's not a pretty or "nice" one).

They can never be stopped (hard to kill an idea or belief) but they can be mitigated by reducing their ability to act. FFS Daesh actually pay their fighters, totally unprecedented in the fundamentalist dickhead way of doing things. And no, democracy in the region is not the solution. The problem in Syria is that the Assad regime is overwhelmingly composed of Alawites, a religious minority (10% of the population) that nonetheless has maneuvered their way into all the top military, intelligence and political spheres of Syria over the past 50 years. They've always known that if they lose there'll be no peaceful transition - they'll be genocided out of existence by the majority Sunni population. That's why they're fighting so viciously. So what's the solution? Support Secular dictatorships. Waaaah they're not nice and they're mean to people - I wonder if the average Libyan or Iraqi would prefer to see them back now that Gaddafi and Hussein have been replaced by anarchic power vacuums of the sort of which IS seem to thrive in?

What's the point I'm trying to make? I'm not entirely sure anymore but given the nature of the middle east (lots of lines drawn in the sand 100 years ago that have thrown lots of groups together who don't traditionally play nicely) secular dictators who don't take sides and slam a lid on any dissent seem to work well. Nice? No. Effective? So far, yes.

Good news is Russian involvement in Syria is probably going to turn what would've been a 20 year civil war into one where a cease-fire may well come about in 2016. Lines in the sand will probably have to be re-drawn (Kurdistan?) but it should solve a lot of the unrest and displacement from the region that is rippling across the world atm.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Oh, and getting the fucking Saudis to stop clandestinely funding and supporting Wahhabi Islam (the ultra progressive one that would like to see us all living back in the 10th Century) would be good too.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Well you can't stop them. But you can change they way they behave. Remember even Christianity was violent historically.

Well firstly you have to give people something to live for rather than die for. Most aussies will not want to blow themselves up, or risk their own life because basically they want to go home , polish up the yeti and take her for a spin. If you don't have a mtb then that is half the problem.

The next step is to de couple religion from politics and power. This has worked wonders in the developed world. The problem is Islam still insists on sharia law and having precedent in countries like Indonesia and Malaysia give hope that other countries can be 'reformed'. Even the most peaceful religions begin to do terrible things when they get political power - just look at what the buddhist population is doing in Myanmar. people need to realise that history is behind us and society can agnostically figure out what is right and wrong.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Oh, and getting the fucking Saudis to stop clandestinely funding and supporting Wahhabi Islam (the ultra progressive one that would like to see us all living back in the 10th Century) would be good too.
righto mate- we should get to it.

West Papua too

placebo

Likes Dirt
Those Graves books are great. I believe in Good bye to all that he professes that he would go to war for England again, even have the Germans as allies. But he was not an fan of the French. He was a fantastic author with a knack for holding your attention.
Yeah. I don't want to have a shot at Peter Fitzsimons here, because I think as newspapers gradually lose relevance to the internet it's nice that they're paying someone to print a column that is basically chain emails and jokes from the internet, I can't understand why anyone would read his books when they can just go back to the books written by the people who actually experienced what he is writing about, and are better writers to boot.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well you can't stop them. But you can change they way they behave. Remember even Christianity was violent historically.

Well firstly you have to give people something to live for rather than die for. Most aussies will not want to blow themselves up, or risk their own life because basically they want to go home , polish up the yeti and take her for a spin. If you don't have a mtb then that is half the problem.

The next step is to de couple religion from politics and power. This has worked wonders in the developed world. The problem is Islam still insists on sharia law and having precedent in countries like Indonesia and Malaysia give hope that other countries can be 'reformed'. Even the most peaceful religions begin to do terrible things when they get political power - just look at what the buddhist population is doing in Myanmar. people need to realise that history is behind us and society can agnostically figure out what is right and wrong.
Or the coalition could completely destroy Syria with a single nuclear strike.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
ISIS need to occupy territory to impose its law. Al Qieda need money and leadership but are happy to float around the world. ISIS want to impose strict Islamic law. Take away the territory would be a start me thinks

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Or the coalition could completely destroy Syria with a single nuclear strike.
Along with the Muslims that are fighting Daesh and a couple million or so innocent people that just wish the barbarians pretending to be Muslim would fuck off and take Assad with them.
It would be like bombing Australia to get rid of bogan morons.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ISIS need to occupy territory to impose its law. Al Qieda need money and leadership but are happy to float around the world. ISIS want to impose strict Islamic law. Take away the territory would be a start me thinks
O.k. Then the coalition could simply admit that they failed and irradiate Afghanistan for the next decade as well.

Funny how the US ended the second world war with a few bombs. I realise that fundamentalists are less likely to admit defeat as the Japanese did, however maybe genocide is the only real answer in this current situation.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Funny how the US ended the second world war with a few bombs.
Actually, turns out they probably didn't.

Russia likely ended the (Pacific theatre of the) Second World War by declaring war on Japan. Lots of evidence coming to light that the Japanese weren't as phased by Hiroshima and Nagasaki as we'd like to imagine.

I'm sure you're only trolling. If you're not, please, just pretend you are.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
O.k. Then the coalition could simply admit that they failed and irradiate Afghanistan for the next decade as well.

Funny how the US ended the second world war with a few bombs. I realise that fundamentalists are less likely to admit defeat as the Japanese did, however maybe genocide is the only real answer in this current situation.
The USA did not end the war with nukes. It was already over, Japan had already asked for an end to hostilities but asked that their Emperor not be held accountable. The US refused their terms, bombed them then gave them the terms they were asking for in the first place. The bombs were dropped as a warning to Russia. Learn some history, not propaganda.