Star Wars, the Force Awakens

stirk

Burner
Awesome, loved it. Felt like I was a teenager again except the 14 year old next to me was my daughter. The lack of CG compared to 1,2 & 3 was a revelation - in some of the scenes you could tell they used models and the movie was better for it. As Hazza said definitely top 3, maybe even edge out A New Hope to be top 2, need to watch it a few more times. Put it this way if a teenager said it was their favorite Star Wars movie I couldn't criticise them for it.

Can somebody put a 'spoiler' warning so we can discuss the movie?
The warning is out there, dozer said it.

I loved it too, as I alluded before this movie brought back the empire strikes back feel. I felt I was emersed in a film I was familiar with in a good way. Ep 1-3 failed to be Star Wars films, they came close sometimes but just dealt in too much cgi and too much pouty angst face Aniakan, ugh!

I had to think a little when Kylo ren addressed Darth Vaders helmet as grandfather, I thought for a second Luke and Leia got it on!

I loved that the whole movie focussed on finding luke and he features in only the last minute! Bring on ep 8!!!

A good fun film.

Also loved that Han and Chewy were main characters not small parts and didn't Chewy look hot!

And the falcon is still kicking ass! Rey flying it for the first time was so cool, man that was probably my favorite fighter scene!

Oh and Rey is hot!!!!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I had to think a little when Kylo ren addressed Darth Vaders helmet as grandfather, I thought for a second Luke and Leia got it on!
I called it! Almost a year ago probably, Ky Lo, sKYwalker - soLO, very proud of that one.

The Falcon scene was my fav too, felt like she was actually my favorite character to see again. Like seeing an old family car again, the old girls that just keep going.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
I called it! Almost a year ago probably, Ky Lo, sKYwalker - soLO, very proud of that one.

The Falcon scene was my fav too, felt like she was actually my favorite character to see again. Like seeing an old family car again, the old girls that just keep going.
The falcon to me is the hero, as is Han and Chewy.

So good to see the old bucket of bolts unbeatable again.

The humour was well placed, sometimes a little childish, particularly when the droids were concerned but thank fuck c3p0 was a fleeting memory.

The last scene got me a little teary to be honest.

Rey holding a sabre pleading for luke to come to her.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
The falcon to me is the hero, as is Han and Chewy.

So good to see the old bucket of bolts unbeatable again.

The humour was well placed, sometimes a little childish, particularly when the droids were concerned but thank fuck c3p0 was a fleeting memory.

The last scene got me a little teary to be honest.

Rey holding a sabre pleading for luke to come to her.
Opens up a lot for VIII. I never cried! As long as the tears stay in your eyes, you're not crying...

"Why don't we take that one?"
"thats a piece of junk..." LOL
The 14 parsecs joke got me good.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Still don't know who Rey is? Is she related to the Skywalker clan? Clearly not Han/Leia daughter, could she be Luke's daughter? Who know's bring on episode 8!

MARKL

Eats Squid
Opens up a lot for VIII. I never cried! As long as the tears stay in your eyes, you're not crying...
Your right, if the tears don't get out your not crying. I had that problem when it came up 'A long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far away'...held em in, was a struggle though. I think one or two may have escaped on the bridge. My daughter was talking to her mum can said '...and dad had to hold my hand', I was like I thought you were holding mine?

peanut

Likes Dirt
question

was corsucant one of the planets that was destroyed by the f**koff big planet gun. I.e planet of the universe's republic government or words to that effect by General Hux? Wasn't really clear.

peanut

Likes Dirt
Still don't know who Rey is? Is she related to the Skywalker clan? Clearly not Han/Leia daughter, could she be Luke's daughter? Who know's bring on episode 8!
I'm guessing Luke's , wasn't really treated like a long lost/hidden daughter by Han,Leah or chewie.
She's obviously very strong with the force as once she realised she could use it during the duel she kicked(a abeilt injured)kylo's ass without any force training. They don't seem to be using the book lore so I doubt she's kylo's twin as in the novels.
Luke's reaction was a bit of a give away, a mix of concern & angst that he had been found, by his now grown up daughter who was in Possesion of the light sabre of his father, which reached out to her, he would sense her force presence & know she was now going to be hunted as he is...so he would now have to train her or hide her again.
I could be reaching a little...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I can't believe Disney brought Ja Ja back! It was a ballsy move, but they pulled it off! He was actually a good character in this film.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Well, I decided today that I am revealing my big call to the world:

It's the best movie in the Star Wars galaxy. Yep, big call but I loved it that much that I'm putting it up there. Empire Strikes back is a close second but The Force Awakens is amazing.
-The air battles were incredible, the X Wing and Tie Fighter scenes are just amazing and the lighting is incredible.
-The light saber battles were jst enough. Any more and it would have made them irrelevant. The final scene between Rey and Kylo in the gloomy snow was bloody awesome!
-The storyline! What a pearler! The direction that the next movie will go is so good, leaves it so open to so much potential. Kylo is going to come back so bad arse, can't say the same for Han though. I felt so bad for Chewwy, that was harsh. :(

Now, I have a couple of things to get people's idea's on:
-Rey. We're being baited to believe she's got to be a descendant of a Skywalker. Could she be Luke's kid? She still seems to have a link to Leia to me and that embrace was fairly important. However, neither or Leia or Han referring to a daughter in the movie sparked any incentive to believe it so the link to Luke may be the thing we're chasing.
-The light saber Rey found / was called to: When it was activated, the crystal was blue. That shcoked me as the last time we saw it, it was a red crystal in the hands of Darth Vader. The Force Awakens is set thirty years after Return of the Jedi so we're going to need some background there and I reckon we'll get it when Luke opens his trap in episode 8 or C3PO tells a story to the Ewoks around the camp fire.
-What happened to Captain Phasma? They got her to drop the shield but then she was just........gone. Will she be back?
-Soooo, the Star Killer got cooked and done in pretty quickly. What could they do next to be more bad arse?
-What is Snoke's background? Is he really that big or is the hologram just big? More importantly; where is he actually based?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I can't believe Disney brought Ja Ja back! It was a ballsy move, but they pulled it off! He was actually a good character in this film.
You're not implying that he is Snoke like all the other fucking morons out there are you?

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt

It's the best movie in the Star Wars galaxy. Yep, big call but I loved it that much that I'm putting it up there. Empire Strikes back is a close second but The Force Awakens is amazing.
Big call but I may have to agree! Very worthy addition to the cannon of films... a fourth Star Wars film finally!

Also unlike so many big action films these days which are fun and great, this didn't feel superficial. I think it will age well.

Only saw it last night but have to see it again soon.

hazza6542

Eats Squid

Too much for me but I wouldn't argue very strongly against you. Unlike last night, girlfriends housemate went and saw it. She's not a big SW person anyway but she complained about the following.

-The original characters were in it, let it go
-It was the same story line
-TOO MUCH cgi
-Star Wars was never good anyway
-If it wasn't a star wars film it would be better, ruined the originals

What in the fuck. Everything was contradictory and she's a retard, I made a joke that it gives the series a new hope, could be a return of the jedi you know, just hope the empire doesn't strike back again... Didn't get em, that got me more worked up than anything she's done before.

After watching two days ago, everyday I'm thinking it was even better than I did the day before. Taking my mum out to see it soon, she saw IV the day it came out back in the day and wants to see if it's still has the same 'WOW' that it did back then.
Big call but I may have to agree! Very worthy addition to the cannon of films... a fourth Star Wars film finally!

Also unlike so many big action films these days which are fun and great, this didn't feel superficial. I think it will age well.

Only saw it last night but have to see it again soon.
You're a mountains guy, didn't happen to see the big star wars bus making it's way through Katoomba did you?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

-The air battles were incredible, the X Wing and Tie Fighter scenes are just amazing and the lighting is incredible.
-The light saber battles were jst enough. Any more and it would have made them irrelevant. The final scene between Rey and Kylo in the gloomy snow was bloody awesome!
-The storyline! What a pearler! The direction that the next movie will go is so good, leaves it so open to so much potential. Kylo is going to come back so bad arse, can't say the same for Han though. I felt so bad for Chewwy, that was harsh. :(

Now, I have a couple of things to get people's idea's on:
-Rey. We're being baited to believe she's got to be a descendant of a Skywalker. Could she be Luke's kid? She still seems to have a link to Leia to me and that embrace was fairly important. However, neither or Leia or Han referring to a daughter in the movie sparked any incentive to believe it so the link to Luke may be the thing we're chasing.
-The light saber Rey found / was called to: When it was activated, the crystal was blue. That shcoked me as the last time we saw it, it was a red crystal in the hands of Darth Vader. The Force Awakens is set thirty years after Return of the Jedi so we're going to need some background there and I reckon we'll get it when Luke opens his trap in episode 8 or C3PO tells a story to the Ewoks around the camp fire.
-What happened to Captain Phasma? They got her to drop the shield but then she was just........gone. Will she be back?
-Soooo, the Star Killer got cooked and done in pretty quickly. What could they do next to be more bad arse?
-What is Snoke's background? Is he really that big or is the hologram just big? More importantly; where is he actually based?
That's a big call. While Empire remains my favourite, I still back new hope as the best film. The main reasons:
- New hope holds its own as a film. You can watch it and get a complete story, no other film in the franchise provides that.
- Guiness and Hammil...with very little dialogue and screen time together they manage to convince us of a strong relationship. They both also develop their characters really well. Guiness as the old sage and warrior is brilliant. No other actor in the entire has come close. Hammil really delivers on the brainless farm boy seeking adventure.
- The back story is some juicey bait. Just enough that you can understand the situation, while leaving you hungry for more.
- Let's not forget how ground breaking and original it all was.
I could go on, but it is too hard on the phone.

I definitely agree with you on the flight scenes, way better than the last 3 films provided. Just great to watch and not over the top. But for fuck's sake...is laser.Cannon competency not required to be a tie pilot?

The story was good, but I felt borrowed a little too much from new hope and some other popular icons. The hunt for Skywalker was a good idea. Surely Vader must have wanted to hunt down old Ben back in the day?
- Rey is too close a copy to new hope Luke
- The cantina scene? Again?
- Han Solo stars as Obi Wan Kenobi?
- Do Jedi only live on desert planets? And junk yards?
- Why is Jakku covered in star destroyers? If it is an out of the way junk heap...or is that why it is an out of the way junk heap? Massive star battle, ground troops like crazy, wealth of natural resources, radiation from all the space ships...boom! Dead planet? We will never know.
- slave storm troopers...are we going to find out he is a eunuch as well? I thought Fin could have been a much stronger character, but that would have required us to see his emotional turmoil better. This is something they didn't cover well for him, Kylo (seriously easy to have improved) or any other character. Why the fuck did Leia not hug Chewie????????!!!!!! That was straight up bullshit. Those 2 have a strong mutual bond through Solo...
- While I'm on that, Chewie should've died with Han. I'm thinking Han cops it, Chewie goes apeshit and unleashes Wookie rage on anything that moves and goes down in a cliched blaze of glory. The impression Kylo may have been killed in the process is given and gives closure to the film. Rey and Fin escape in the Falcon, and that is a symbol of the torch passing on to the new. I'd rather not sit through 3 films having the old characters die one per film. Cut the nostalgia chains early.
- There was definitely scope to include Boba Fett. If we are going for nostalgia...give the people what they want!!!
- I'm an orphan slave, you're an orphan slave...let's be friends? Could have been portrayed a little clearer with about 1 minute of dialogue.
- Definitely could have given Leia a few minutes more and provided a little depth to the story behind the war. That wouldve been really good. It wouldn't need to be all citizen Caine, but a little "these arseholes want to take over the universe..." wouldn't have hurt, especially as they are making it quite clear there is a republic, a resistance, and a new order.

Anyway I could go on, perhaps I will when I get on a computer. I did enjoy the film, heaps! It was really good, but a little light for my liking.

In answer to your light saber question...that is the saber Luke dropped at cloud city. I thought that a bit unnecessary. That fucker was gone!

I reckon that Snoke will be similar size to yoda.

Clearly the next weapon will be a gigantic light saber...some form of weapon that harnesses the force and fires it out as a solid beam of death. Or they will borrow from Biggles and make a giant radar type.dish that projects sonic death...but it will be the force.

You're not implying that he is Snoke like all the other fucking morons out there are you?
How do you know he isn't?!?!?!?!?!??!!!!! Didn't you see Ja Ja flying one of the x-wings? He blew up near the end. And if you haven't seen it, check out the binks Awakens. It's funny shit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I will just add that I thought there was too much light saber! And the girl using the force that much was silly...fear and anger lead to the darkside. And they are a quicker path, not stronger.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
In answer to your light saber question...that is the saber Luke dropped at cloud city. I thought that a bit unnecessary. That fucker was gone!
It's Vader's light sabre, it was never a blue crystal even if it was the one that got lost at Cloud City. I'm telling you, it holds a big piece of the future movie puzzle that mofo.

As for Jar Jar: ..................maybe YOU are Jar Jar Binks! :mmph: