eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

moorey

call me Mia
So is Martyn Ashton learning to "ride" again on an electric bike bad?

[video=youtube;XaBOvw4UCMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaBOvw4UCMA[/video]
Totes not. Did you not note almost every ebike opponents exception to the rule?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stopped a rider on the trail in Bris today to ask about his awesome bike, it was clearly a stealth bomber, he took off when my riding pal pulled out the phone to vid him. Mofos. Self regulation will be the only way.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
One of my riding buddies finally back on the trails after a long and vicious bout of the flu. Bringing his e bike rather than the Trance meant he could actually ride as opposed to staying at home in bed.

Ivan

Eats Squid
One of my riding buddies finally back on the trails after a long and vicious bout of the flu. Bringing his e bike rather than the Trance meant he could actually ride as opposed to staying at home in bed.

Which bike is he riding?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Which bike is he riding?
Focus Thron. An interesting bike to ride.

Primarily it's used by his wife for her 25km each way commute, but it's suprisingly good on the trails. The low centre of gravity allows it to hunker down in bends and it's gets along more smoothly and with less trail damage I reckon.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
I met a chap who had a stealth bomber E-Bike the other day, he rode our trails the next day. I checked the trail conditions afterwards out of curiosity, it was a very wet day and I am happy to report the 50kg E-Bike did no more damage in the wet than out MTBs would do. Our trails drain very well and hold up well in the wet BTW.

Speed-Pedelec standards released in EU

The EU have been working on eBike standards for a while now, with this coming through as the latest update for the higher speed class of s-pedelecs (up to 45km/h): http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulat...oval-for-speed-e-bikes-now-effective-10125384

In effect, it means they'll be subject to type-approval, which is a more stringent set of standards that are closer in operation to motorcycle regulation compared to the lower spec 25km/h regulated eBikes.

At some point, expect to see offroad ebikes conforming to the s-pedelec standard and they'll eventually find their way to our part of the world. The Bultaco Brinco is one such example that are working to alignment with the L1e-B standard. Personally, I love the look of them and think they'd be a hoot to ride. At least they're working to align themselves with the EU standards from the start. But it will likely also mean MTB trail contention, which this thread clearly shows is still a very live issue.

I've been on both sides of the fence on this one, as an early 90s MTB racer and (more recently) eBike owner/dealer.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The EU have been working on eBike standards for a while now, with this coming through as the latest update for the higher speed class of s-pedelecs (up to 45km/h): http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulat...oval-for-speed-e-bikes-now-effective-10125384

In effect, it means they'll be subject to type-approval, which is a more stringent set of standards that are closer in operation to motorcycle regulation compared to the lower spec 25km/h regulated eBikes.

At some point, expect to see offroad ebikes conforming to the s-pedelec standard and they'll eventually find their way to our part of the world. The Bultaco Brinco is one such example that are working to alignment with the L1e-B standard. Personally, I love the look of them and think they'd be a hoot to ride. At least they're working to align themselves with the EU standards from the start. But it will likely also mean MTB trail contention, which this thread clearly shows is still a very live issue.

I've been on both sides of the fence on this one, as an early 90s MTB racer and (more recently) eBike owner/dealer.
So a fairly unbiased opinion...

It looks like gt made it.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I've met two electric dirt bike riders out on Canberra trails recently. Neither of them were very good marketing cases for electric dirt bikes on trails made for human powered bikes.

Its not hard to take your motorbikes out to state forests and go nuts...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Given the speeds that eBikes can do, especially going uphill, I can see some ugly head on collisions on dual-direction trails in the near future.

Not a fan; if it has a motor, ride moto-trails (in saying that, I can't come up with an obvious prob of the e-assist bikes going downwards on DH trails).

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Think I might get a T-shirt made up:

"Don't be an
E-TARD
keep e-bikes
off MTB trails"​

Ivan

Eats Squid
Given the speeds that eBikes can do, especially going uphill, I can see some ugly head on collisions on dual-direction trails in the near future.

Not a fan; if it has a motor, ride moto-trails (in saying that, I can't come up with an obvious prob of the e-assist bikes going downwards on DH trails).
Pedelec bikes will go up trails at about the same speed elite athletes will. it's only an extra 250W.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
Well because I have a damaged heart that will never fix itself no matter what I do, I seriously looked at a E-bike to ride the trails.

But have decided it's no e-bike for me as I just will ride to my limits. I still have lots of fun powering my bike with my fucked heart and half stuffed knee. A lot of boundries lie in your head, and they make you lazy and unfit.

Yep, I have a fucked heart, but I still done 30km today of on and offroad, with a PB of 19km in 1hr. It was fun, rewarding, and it was all me, not E-bike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.