Atherton Tablelands

indica

Serial flasher
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/park-alerts/13082.html

Temporary closure: Atherton Forest Mountain Bike Park.

This alert applies to the following parks:

Herberton Range National Park, Herberton Range Regional Park, Herberton Range State Forest and Baldy Mountain Forest Reserve
Atherton and Evelyn tablelands parks and forests

All trails in the Atherton Forest Mountain Bike Park will be closed between 6.30am and 6.00pm on weekdays (Monday to Friday), from and including Monday 24 November to Friday 5 December 2014. The trails will be open from 6.00pm on Friday 28 November to 6.30am on Monday 1 December.

Roadworks will be in progress on the Herberton Range Ridge Road and these closures are necessary to ensure rider safety. Further closures beyond these dates are possible. Please continue to check park alerts for updates.

Last updated
19 November 2014

indica

Serial flasher
The park is nearly done.

AFMTBP said:
Tablelands Futures Corporation and it's sub-committee, the Tablelands Integrated Mountain Bike Alliance (TiMBa) and members from Tableland Cycle Sports had a vision and a plan to make Tropical North Queensland the premier mountain bike destination in Australia and an internationally recognised world class facility.

The initiative was to Map, develop and promote the Atherton Tablelands as a cycling destination. Funding was received through the Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation (DEEDI) Queensland Regional Development Initiative (QRDI) to prepare the documentation of the Bike Trails in the region; develop a website and engage with stakeholders and the community of the vision to promote the region as a world class, cycling destination.

The massive proposal was embraced by those who had faith and a Million Dollar Investment was committed for the construction of trails at Atherton Forest Mountain Bike Park by State Government and Tablelands Regional Council.

After an enormous amount of work by some dedicated individuals within and alongside Tableland Cycle Sports and with the services of Trail Builders, World Trail, Dirt Art and Ground Creations, the trail network literally came to life and is now a destination talked about and visited by riders from all over the country and due to the Crocodile Trophy talked about internationally.

The network has been the feature story and been promoted by online documentaries of mega publishers of all things Mountain bike, Australian Mountain Bike Magazine, Flow, Bike Rader and Spoke just to name a few and is visited by riders in their hundreds.

The final links in the chain are now being completed with Trail head entry shelters under construction, the completion of a skills park and pump track and link trails that will allow access to the Mountain Bike Park from right in the middle of Atherton.

Tableland Cycle Sports working alongside Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing and with the help of a small band of Trail maintenance crew and proactive riders who take some ownership of their patch, now ride on, monitor and try to maintain over 80km of purpose built IMBA rated Single Track

On Tuesday, The Hon Steve Dickson MP, Minister for National Parks Recreation Sport and Racing was in town for the ‘Official Opening’ of the AFMBP and also to have a look at just where all the money has been spent. He was not disappointed.

Tableland Cycle Sports would like to thank everyone involved from the inception of the idea through to the riders that use the park. The town and business within, have benefited greatly from the idea and we hope will help embrace and promote something special and unique in our region.

The Forest Mountain Bike Park is officially open and the Government is happy with the investment. Atherton and the Atherton Forest Mountain Bike Park are now blinking brightly on the places to visit radar.
Take a bow team. Well done.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Athertons newest trail addition opens!

Hi All
QPWS, Tableland Cycle Sports and World Trail are pleased to announce that the newest trail addition to Atherton Forest Mountainbike Park is officially open as of 1/1/15
Trail 17 to be known as "Drop zone" descends from 1/2 way up Trail 12 (Stairway to Heaven) back to the roundabout at the junction of trails 12, 7, 10, 6 so you will definately need to be prepared to climb to earn the descent as it is NOT shuttleable.
Graded (dark) blue it is suited to riders with advanced skills, well maintained bikes with dual suspension & needs to be ridden with caution particularly until it beds in and riders become familiar with the lines.
Glen Jacobs of World Trail says it adds another challenging, fast, flowing, technical descent to compliment the existing blue graded descents of Ricochet, Yahoo Wahoo and Ridgey Didge

With recent good falls of rain it needs plenty of wheels on it to bed it in so come and give it a crack!

indica

Serial flasher
Mission Beach was nothing, brush cuttered through a paddock is all.

However Trail 17 aka Drop Zone is a hoot, like a roller coaster. Few off camber oldschool bit, maybe three jumps, some rocks, and many steep neck bending berms. Should be interesting to see how it is in a year after some riding, should be a whole lot rockier.
The climb is long and very hot as the morning sun hits that hill and it is rather exposed, so go early.

jbg

Likes Dirt
Yea sweet vid, would have been sweet to shred a-town with a gun like Shaums March & those tracks - primo

bigdamo

Likes Dirt

Pump track and change area complete behind a pub in the middle of town.
Looking good. I will have to come up and have a ride for sure that's when the temp drops under 25c. and no cyclones are threatening.

Last edited:

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
You won't be disappointed
If you want a guide, drop me a pm, I'm off tomorrow
I only just found this. Thanks anyway mate, I went this morning for a quick look but haven't planned too much further than that. So far just exploring is a lot of fun.

I did track 6 and 1 today and they were great! Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I only just found this. Thanks anyway mate, I went this morning for a quick look but haven't planned too much further than that. So far just exploring is a lot of fun.

I did track 6 and 1 today and they were great! Looking forward to seeing the rest.
No worries
Have fun, it's a big park