eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
I ride mtb and off road motorcycles, have even raced the latter in my stupid years. I class ebikes as a "motor" powered bike, be it electric not petrol, and should be treated as such. Riden in places where "motor" bikes are permitted and I think they are great, I even could think of times and places where I'd like one such as where noise is an issue. Would I like to be sharing my local dedicated mtb singletrack with them, no thankyou.
It doesnt matter how you personally class it. The law isn't interested in your personal opinion.
If you group a 250watt pedelec with a 8950watt motorcycle you're not understanding the topic at hand and not adding anything. Its math.

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Please explain how you have seen this thread evolve?

As far as I can see, no-one here is less concerned about track damage or possible track conflicts than in earlier discussions?
People are using actual units of measure in some posts now - this is science. Which facilitates rational discussion.
Science does not care about opinions.
The thread has moved on from a pissing match and tshirts from haters who can't seperate power from torque. And from people saying no to something they've never tried. And possibly should consider.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hey this thread got rational in the last few days. What happened to the haters who were ignoring the facts?

Love the longtail above. My Missus hauls a black Yuba Mundo with two kids on the back and loves the middrive for hills. I love taking the lads out two.
My eight year old daughter takes her BMX, or her dirtjumper based ebike if we are heading up the local mountain.
Ummm...I think it was thatnfox ebike brigade disappeared after embarrassing videos of them were produced. Don't make me get the ducking stool out again.

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Shoosh now, I'm busy enjoying reading Ivan and Link1896's actual numbers. Rational discussion. If you can't keep up then you don't have to post.

You don't have to pipe up like some little fox terrier at the heels every time I post - it just makes you look trite.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I ride mtb and off road motorcycles, have even raced the latter in my stupid years. I class ebikes as a "motor" powered bike, be it electric not petrol, and should be treated as such. Riden in places where "motor" bikes are permitted and I think they are great, I even could think of times and places where I'd like one such as where noise is an issue. Would I like to be sharing my local dedicated mtb singletrack with them, no thankyou.
It doesnt matter how you personally class it. The law isn't interested in your personal opinion.
If you group a 250watt pedelec with a 8950watt motorcycle you're not understanding the topic at hand and not adding anything. Its math.
Can you explain to us in electrical terminology, What 250watts continuous power and peak power means?. Then explain how you can have a 36v battery with a 15 or 10 amp controller on an e-bike and it only puts out 250watts.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
People are using actual units of measure in some posts now - this is science. Which facilitates rational discussion.
Science does not care about opinions.
The thread has moved on from a pissing match and tshirts from haters who can't seperate power from torque. And from people saying no to something they've never tried. And possibly should consider.
You're just derailing the thread now by antagonizing people into word wars with you. You ar ethe one who isn't open to other's opinions so you're copping an earful from people who care enough to defend their chosen sport. You're not really in a place to talk down to people here whether it be their choice in riding discipline or their intellect. Actually, you're being more of a wanker trying to sprook about your alleged intelligence on the topic by suggesting buck toothed mountain bikers are dumb fucks. I;m not speaking for everyone but there's more intelligence on display over the last day while you were away so make an effort to be productive on the topic or move on.
Another thing you can also keep in mind is the skill level of the riders on this forum. Some other members in this and other threads probably don't realise that there's some pro riders in this discussion; current and former. That speaks volumes for the depth of this joint and before you question how relevant to this topic it may be then you need to remember where the trails come from that you choose to ride / troll.
Make an effort to get along please.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Mate has a pedal assist fat bike coming with a cruise mode at 4km/h or around there with tool carriers built in, perfect.

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Flowrider:
Sure, losses in the controller are about 20% give or take so 360watts at the battery furnishes 288 watts to the controller(give or take).
Motor is 85 percent efficient (thats generous in many instances) so it makes about 240 watts of peak kinetic energy out the back wheel.

That's peak power.
Now imagine you're not climbing a hill for fifty percent of the time and pulling 100 watts mostly with 240 watts peak only 20% of the time.
You're average is gonna be much closer to the 100. This is how Aussie Post interpret it on about 1200 bikes nationally and can peak at 480 watts.

However the real issue with trail damage is torque. Nothing is going to rooster tail under 3000 watts - corresponding to about 150 Nm of torque for most motors. Whether you are running Maxxis Holy Rollers or Minions will have a bigger outcome to trail damage.

Some motors make a lot of torque down low and not a lot of speed. Some are internally configured the other way. Or somewhere in between.

I appreciate the open science based question man. The other noise in here is just like underparented class clowns needing to be heard.

I do ride a couple of DH bikes and an all mountain by the way. The people who think ebikes are for injured or incapacitated people are missing a part of the equation. I like beer, cider and two kinds of wine. I can't imagine not getting bored on one of those.

Last edited:

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
you need to remember where the trails come from that you choose to ride / troll.
Make an effort to get along please.
You're forgetting I ride DH with other riders and several high profile riders here are quietly ebikers. I've invested m time in building trails. Weekend after next I'm back at it. I may take my 2010 GT or I may take my ebike out after.
This fascination with ebikes damaging trails is mathematically baseless and you need to let it go. Until you do i have some rationale as to viewing people as not understanding the engineering at hand properly.

I should think getting along is something that Flowrider is taking the lead in. I'm antagonistic in response to red rag posts. And receptive and engaged by genuine ones like he posted.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Shoosh now, I'm busy enjoying reading Ivan and Link1896's actual numbers. Rational discussion. If you can't keep up then you don't have to post.

You don't have to pipe up like some little fox terrier at the heels every time I post - it just makes you look trite.
Yep, she's a witch.
mms_img250446217.jpg

The thing is you only have 1 ear that works...the other is full of sand. Only hearing what you wish to hear, doesn't make you right. Is your interest in electronic motorcycles purely recreational, or are you posing as such the same as Hyena and others have done hiding your commercial interests in the matter?

It's cute to hear a grown man be a fan boy:
"You're forgetting I ride DH with other riders and several high profile riders"
Lol...didnt you get over that when you were 12? And I thought Hyena's theme song and videos were funny! This thread has given me some great laughs.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Flowrider:
Sure, losses in the controller are about 20% give or take so 360watts at the battery furnishes 288 watts to the controller(give or take).
Motor is 85 percent efficient (thats generous in many instances) so it makes about 240 watts of peak kinetic energy out the back wheel.

That's peak power.
Now imagine you're not climbing a hill for fifty percent of the time and pulling 100 watts mostly with 240 watts peak only 20% of the time.
You're average is gonna be much closer to the 100. This is how Aussie Post interpret it on about 1200 bikes nationally and can peak at 480 watts.

However the real issue with trail damage is torque. Nothing is going to rooster tail under 3000 watts - corresponding to about 150 Nm of torque for most motors. Whether you are running Maxxis Holy Rollers or Minions will have a bigger outcome to trail damage.

Some motors make a lot of torque down low and not a lot of speed. Some are internally configured the other way. Or somewhere in between.

I appreciate the open science based question man. The other noise in here is just like underparented class clowns needing to be heard.

I do ride a couple of DH bikes and an all mountain by the way. The people who think ebikes are for injured or incapacitated people are missing a part of the equation. I like beer, cider and two kinds of wine. I can't imagine not getting bored on one of those.
If an e-bike motor is rated at 250 watts continuous, that means it can put out 250watts continuously without damaging itself, all day and any day. I would expect peak power to be a lot more.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep, she's a witch.
View attachment 324160

The thing is you only have 1 ear that works...the other is full of sand. Only hearing what you wish to hear, doesn't make you right. Is your interest in electronic motorcycles purely recreational, or are you posing as such the same as Hyena and others have done hiding your commercial interests in the matter?

It's cute to hear a grown man be a fan boy:
"You're forgetting I ride DH with other riders and several high profile riders"
Lol...didnt you get over that when you were 12? And I thought Hyena's theme song and videos were funny! This thread has given me some great laughs.
Hidden agendas, an e-bike owner pretty much reminds me of a closet tranny.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Hey this thread got rational in the last few days. What happened to the haters who were ignoring the facts?

Love the longtail above.
Let me clarify. electric motorbikes have their application. If I buy an electric motored cargo bike I'm still riding an electric motor bike. Because it happens to need pedals to make it go is irrelevant. I am still riding an electric motorbike.

If I ride it on bike paths, I will respect the fact that I'm fortunate enough that it's legal to ride my electric motorbike on paths free of petrol motored stinky things. It's the ethical thing to do.

Mountain bike trails are not made for electric motorbikes. There are thousands of kilometres of trail already existing for motorbikes.

A small direct sample of electric motorbike commuters and electric motorbike riders on mountain bike trails, plus anecdotal evidence collected at this thread suggests that electric motorbike riders are not generally respectful folk when on their electric motorbikes, as nice as they might be down at the pub.

I can clearly see why electric motorbikes should not be ridden on mountain bike trails. It is hard to get them built, it is hard to maintain them, and it is easy to lose access to venues where they exist. The attitudes on display from electric motorbike riders I have seen are generally attitudes that will make developing mountain bike trails harder to do.

If that isn't clear, fucking tranzizzle it.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If an e-bike motor is rated at 250 watts continuous, that means it can put out 250watts continuously without damaging itself, all day and any day. I would expect peak power to be a lot more.
If a motor in a factory is rated at 250w continuous, that means it will put out 250w without damaging itself.
I seriously doubt that many manufacturers would be underselling thier motors, so 250w is likely a peak power. Unless of course they were being dodgy to get under the 250w limit, but no ebike manufacturer would do that. ..

It was just a bad joke. I still find them unattractive like an e-bike though.
Not really, you have raised an important aspect of ebiking that ebikers seem comfortable with. In the context of your previous comment it goes like this

Can you have it off with a fat bloated man in a dress ? Yes you can. Should you ? No you should not.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not really, you have raised an important aspect of ebiking that ebikers seem comfortable with. In the context of your previous comment it goes like this

Can you have it off with a fat bloated man in a dress ? Yes you can. Should you ? No you should not.
If that's your flavour, indulge. But be honest about it...don't hide it from your wife. And play safe, sensibly, and with due respect to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.