Noob to downhill - need help with choosing a bike

slowmick

38-39"
Hey bloke, i kinda lost focus when i broke my cranks. stopped looking at downhill bikes and started thinking that maybe it was time to sell the enduro frame and get a frame that could run 2x and came with a shock more suited for my ample frame (Rune). then gave up and got replacement cranks ready to ride. then put my back out. fuck being old.

Am kinda stuck back at the start now. Cheap seems to be 3K and what was 3.8 is now 5 this year. 5K is a lot to spend on a bike when you don't know what a good one feels like. for me it feels like i am buying my first ever mountain bike.

Am now trying to get out and ride more and lose some weight. If i can improve my health then maybe i can justify (to myself) a new bike. iIf i can't be bothered getting off the couch and rotorburn and riding my bike i don't need another one.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Reality sucks...second hand might be a good option if wanted to save some pennies and not take it all too seriously. Tricky for you lanky types to find a good range in that market though. Have you considered loosing a few inches in length rather than girth?

slowmick

38-39"
How do you think the Rockshock Domain Forks and Kage shock would hold up to a 115 kg bloke. I've been looking at the hire bikes i saw at Buller this year (2013 Aurum 3) and this is kind of level suspension they were running.

For 2015 the Giant Glory 1 was $3799 RRP and than the Glory 2 $3199 but the spec of the 1 was a heap better (Boxxer RC, Vivid R2C and Zee). The result was Giant sold out of 1s and have a bunch of 2 lying around. The 2015 Glory 2 can be had for between $2000 - $2300. The 2016 Glory 2 is $3500 with pretty much the same spec but a new colour.

The next step in Glorys seems to be be $5000 for either a run out 2015 Glory 0 or a 2016 Glory 1. Both come with the Boxer with a team fork and the vivid R2C shock.

The Domain fork and Kage shock seem to be pretty common on the lower level downhill bikes but reviews seems to elude my google-fu.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have used the base model single crown domains en masse and they were reliable and easy to care for. But they felt pretty shit if you had any experience with nice suspension. I've also own a set of the top level single crown domains and found they felt slightly less crap. Personally I would avoid the domain and kage combo.

Good to see you back on the hunt. The glory 1 is really hard value to beat, that is how I ended up with one. I was lucky enough for it to be the year they were the unpopular model. Now they are unpopular second hand. I've seen some Scott voltage bikes on great sales recently too. Though it may be a wheel size issue.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Hmmm, I usually say this to piss people off, but actually, what about a Sunday? Or any other dh bike second hand. They're still good, going for good price with decent spec and just need a little love to feel new. I'd take my old 2009 Boxxers over a new domain DC any day. Just a thought.

Plus they're not a Giant.....

slowmick

38-39"
Cheers Poodle will take that on board.

Hazza - i love the idea of getting a sweet second hand bike and learning to build it up to suit my needs/tastes. That said it's been a pretty ordinary 12 months for riding for me and i would just like something that works from day one. I'd probably still be looking for a right bike or figuring out how to put it back together at the end of autumn next year havign missed the whole season. I also have a bit of fear of buying a second hand bike at my size. i am pretty hard on bikes and i figure anyone else 100 kg + is going to have given a bike a work out before i got it. i also struggle with buying stuff so would probably pay above market for a below average example.

The bike shops i have talked to pretty much seem to be saying that i am not buying the last downhill bike i will buy but my first. General vibe seems to be that 2 years of regular shuttles will pretty much wear out a DH bike where it would then be time to cut my loses on maintaining it and sell it off cheap to fund the next one. That started to put doubts in my mind as to what i would get second hand...

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

Hazza - i love the idea of getting a sweet second hand bike and learning to build it up to suit my needs/tastes. That said it's been a pretty ordinary 12 months for riding for me and i would just like something that works from day one. I'd probably still be looking for a right bike or figuring out how to put it back together at the end of autumn next year havign missed the whole season. I also have a bit of fear of buying a second hand bike at my size. i am pretty hard on bikes and i figure anyone else 100 kg + is going to have given a bike a work out before i got it. i also struggle with buying stuff so would probably pay above market for a below average example.

The bike shops i have talked to pretty much seem to be saying that i am not buying the last downhill bike i will buy but my first. General vibe seems to be that 2 years of regular shuttles will pretty much wear out a DH bike where it would then be time to cut my loses on maintaining it and sell it off cheap to fund the next one. That started to put doubts in my mind as to what i would get second hand...
Sounds like sales BS to me Mick. I bought a 2009 Commencal Supreme DH last year for $900 and it was in great condition. Put a few upgrades on it over a few months but it was perfectly rideable as it was.

I'm only 80kg but DH bikes aren't built to break, heavier guys than you ride them. The bits that wear out are bearings, bushes and seals, all easily replaced as part of regular maintenance.

If you buy second hand, $1500 tops will see you on a great DH bike and if you chose to keep riding DH and want more, you'll lose little parting out the bike and selling.

I ended up selling mine, and lost nothing in the process, after realising that I could happily ride any trail in Aus on a 160mm bike. Also easier to pedal up given I've got no shuttle access.

Now on a Rune and couldn't be happier.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

You need a vendor you can trust...so drop into my shop. I'll look after you!

If you aren't set on 27.5 there is HEAPS of 26 model bikes listed for bargains. He 2014 Glory 1 makes a lot of regular appearances, as does some other rides

With buying second hand, it is unlikely that everything will brake at once. You may bust a wheel or a crank or a frame...all things you may also bust riding a new bike. As Boom King points out (generally) these things are built to last.

If you turn towards a banshee...grab a dark side. They look sick. 180mm of play time.

Kirua

Likes Bikes
Things will break. If you don't break anything, that means you're not riding fast enough :p No but seriously, most of things that will break is because of you falling off or doing something wrong.

There are a lot of second hand bikes on this website and I'm sure most of them won't mind you asking questions and having a look at it.

From my point of view, I've riden the same bike for almost 3 years. At first, it was faultless, but as I got better, I started noticing things that I didn't like or was missing. I changed it for something that I thought would suit me better and I was right. Who knows, maybe there is one even better out there for me but for now, the one I have is excellent and love everything about it.
So whatever bike you buy, if you like the look of it and the idea of how it works, you're going to love it ! And when you start getting better and better is where you'll start having a better idea of what you need.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
The Scott voltage is another bike that is capable, with many configurations, adjustments on the frame, travel 190mm, 165mm, BB, HA, WB, to play around with, maybe not a true DH rig, however, highly capable and poppy for the fun of it. Much like dark side, having the freedom for a single crown fork or a dual crown. There are three build and size models, specked for what ever is the budget.

slowmick

38-39"
So i finally took T-rex's advice on the weekend and hired a large Norco Aurum for a day of shuttles at Mt Buller. As soon as I rode it out of the shop i knew it wasn't big enough but they don't have an XL in the hire fleet.

It took a bit of getting used to but in the end i rode more of the hill more confidently than i ever have on my enduro. By the end of the day i had only missed out the road gap and the wall ride at the bottom of international. not bad for a bike not set for me at all. i also got to cut laps in the car park on a blokes large demo.

It was so much fun. now back looking at downhill bikes on the internet. At least now i know i need a bigger bike than a large Aurum or a large Demo and with forks nicer than the domains. well worth the $140 to hire a bike.

Should be able to grab one just in time for the shuttles to finish.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
So i finally took T-rex's advice on the weekend and hired a large Norco Aurum for a day of shuttles at Mt Buller. As soon as I rode it out of the shop i knew it wasn't big enough but they don't have an XL in the hire fleet.

It took a bit of getting used to but in the end i rode more of the hill more confidently than i ever have on my enduro. By the end of the day i had only missed out the road gap and the wall ride at the bottom of international. not bad for a bike not set for me at all. i also got to cut laps in the car park on a blokes large demo.

It was so much fun. now back looking at downhill bikes on the internet. At least now i know i need a bigger bike than a large Aurum or a large Demo and with forks nicer than the domains. well worth the $140 to hire a bike.

Should be able to grab one just in time for the shuttles to finish.
Hey were you one of the two guys riding Aurums on Saturday?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jesus bigger than a large aurum, they're huge. Might find some second hand xl v10s floating around.
Depends on the year. Norco have changed top tubes and messed with lengths each model change. The latest ones are more in line with the latest trends and similar to everyone else.

Mick, I have a Large 2015 Glory 1 and have no complaints. (once I upgraded the RC to a Charger and put on a big bloke 200 rear disc, stock is 180). They were great value last year.
If you like I can put you in touch with someone who is selling a 2015 Lrg Glory 1 frame with essentially a Glory 0 build. XO etc..One of our team riders and he is Norco mounted now. Think he was after low 3s

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Yeah, i was the one stopped at the bottom of international with you and your mate when Ideate had his little adventure...
Oh nice. I had no idea... If you wanted to try a longer cockpit you could have tried mine if I knew who you were, haha.

25" TT vs. the large Aurum's 23.75" (according to Google).

i also got to cut laps in the car park on a blokes large demo.
slowmick, that was my Demo 8 II you rolled around the carpark on. I did consider letting you do a run on it but since the suspension was set up for a 89kg person it really wasn't going to perform at it's best under you. That said the Aurums in the ATC hire fleet are not really set up for the heavier rider either. My Demo was a slightly used Ex Demo Fleet bike and it had been set up with a spring that was two increments lighter than what I needed. Once I installed a coil with a more appropriate spring rate the bike truly came to life. The coil would probably need to at least another 5 increments higher to get the spring rate in the ballpark required for your riding weight but I'm not sure the Ohlins range go that high. If your thinking about a Demo 8 visit a Specialized Dealer (one who has real experience in DH such as "The Ride" in Kew) and see if they can set you up properly on on a test ride which you can take away for a weekend.

slowmick

38-39"
Oh nice. I had no idea... If you wanted to try a longer cockpit you could have tried mine if I knew who you were, haha.

25" TT vs. the large Aurum's 23.75" (according to Google).
It's kinda hard to introduce yourself - hi - i'm the rubber chicken from rotorburn. The Morewood kinda stands out on a shuttle day (as does Ideate's Darkside). Cheers for the offer though bloke. :thumb: