The stupid questions thread.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pushy's are good for wheels.
I'll give them another look, I also read Merlin do wheel building, so may give them another tickle.

Crc custom wheel builder has continually delivered me excellent priced wheels that are well built. I've had a lot of custom wheels through crc and various local bike shops (hand built). Crc win out for price every time, and the build quality is usually better too.

I've got great deals on wheels from Pushys and Torpedo7 in recent years as well. But I'm not sure they will deliver to you in Japan.
Cheers, I'll have a squiz at Torpedo7.
Not too confident with wheel building, but I've contacted CRC asking for their recommendation on the best way to tackle it though.

I'm thinking a set of Spank Oozys but I'm unsure on the hubs. So, the only thing I'd want to 'build' are different hubs, but I'll wait and see what CRC come back with.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I'm thinking a set of Spank Oozys but I'm unsure on the hubs. So, the only thing I'd want to 'build' are different hubs, but I'll wait and see what CRC come back with.
I just ordered a set of Spank Oozy's laced to Hope Pro 4's on CRC. Was always set on the Hope's, but after reading the reviews of the Spank rims I decided to give them a shot.

As for wheel building, there are some good resources out there. It helps having a good wheel stand. I would build my own like I did for my roadie, but I need these wheels asap and didn't want to muck around with them when the build quality from CRC has been sufficient the last few wheels I've bought.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Heaps! I love them and have a collection. I wear one in the shuttle pig on laps (can't fit a real hat in there!) and on the snow (usually when i take the helmet off, but sometimes in the park or pow). They are just a lot of fun to have on a great piss take.
Interesting.... I'd be interested in getting one to keep the sweat of my face and I think they can look pretty sweet I find it quite humerus all the guides on how to wear and when to wear them.

Where do you get yours from? How do they go with sizing?

Last edited:

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just ordered a set of Spank Oozy's laced to Hope Pro 4's on CRC. Was always set on the Hope's, but after reading the reviews of the Spank rims I decided to give them a shot.

As for wheel building, there are some good resources out there. It helps having a good wheel stand. I would build my own like I did for my roadie, but I need these wheels asap and didn't want to muck around with them when the build quality from CRC has been sufficient the last few wheels I've bought.
Nice one. What did they end up coming to, if you don't mind my asking?
Did you have any considerations for any of the Hope wheelsets?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'll give them another look, I also read Merlin do wheel building, so may give them another tickle.

Cheers, I'll have a squiz at Torpedo7.
Not too confident with wheel building, but I've contacted CRC asking for their recommendation on the best way to tackle it though.

As Elmo, get hopes. Not that much more cash up front, but the serviceability (I've had plenty of hopes and not needed to service them) and the ability to use a variety of adapters means they can be moved.onto to new projects when the time comes. They also hold good resale.

What sort of use do you have in mind for the wheels?

Interesting.... I'd be interested in getting one to keep the sweat of my face and I think they can look pretty sweet

Where do you get yours from? How do they go with sizing?
Back in the dark ages when you needed to hit $400 for free shipping from crc they were one of my go to items for padding out orders. As a result I have plenty of them for under $10 each and a large supply of sneakers. I've never used the caps for sweat control, only clowning. I would imagine they would trap heat and increase sweat if worn under a helmet. Mine are all cotton or wool.

I think the woolen cap came from Pushys.

Ive never noticed sizes with the caps before. No real consistency with see across brands either. If you have a big melon you may struggle.

I have a funny story about the demise of my favourite cap too.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As Elmo, get hopes. Not that much more cash up front, but the serviceability (I've had plenty of hopes and not needed to service them) and the ability to use a variety of adapters means they can be moved.onto to new projects when the time comes. They also hold good resale.

What sort of use do you have in mind for the wheels?
Regarding the Hopes, are the Pro4s the go to or are the Pro2-evos (which are on CRC but not on the Hope site..?)?

At the moment, the rims would be for my everything (only) bike...
Its a hardtail, I ride aggressively and I like to make my life hard by riding stuff that I shouldn't, I want a good set that I can forget about.

Elbo

Nice one. What did they end up coming to, if you don't mind my asking?
Did you have any considerations for any of the Hope wheelsets?
So my build was Spank Oozy 295's 32H (27.5") on Hope Pro 4's 32H 142x12 (both red), laced with DT Swiss Comp silver spokes and pro lock nipples. Total for the wheelset came to just over $630.

I looked into the HopeTech pre-built wheels, but decided against it after seeing the internal width of the rim and hearing about troubles setting up tubeless. I was mainly considering ZTR Flow EX or Arch EX rims, but the Spank's looked just as good for a similar weight and a little cheaper.

Elbo

Regarding the Hopes, are the Pro4s the go to or are the Pro2-evos (which are on CRC but not on the Hope site..?)?

Its a hardtail, I ride aggressively and I like to make my life hard by riding stuff that I shouldn't, I want a good set that I can forget about.
You really can't beat Hope hubs, as the Poodle says, their serviceability is second to none and there are conversion kits for any combination of spacing and dropouts, so well futureproof. The Pro2's are the older model and you may have compatability issues with running 11speed group sets on them as they were around long before 11 speed was on the scene. The only thing to note with Hope hubs is that the free hub body is alloy, so you have to be careful what cassette you put on it. A cassette with lots of individual sprockets will bite into the alloy and can be a pain to get off. They best work with cassettes that use wider carriers to hold a few sprockets, over cheaper pinned cassettes that allow more movement of the individual sprockets.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Now we may have a different idea of aggressive riding, but if you want a set and forget type rim there may be better options. There may not be. The Oozey is certainly popular and we'll regarded.

Do share......
It is a bit of a long one...

Years ago I scored a set of wolverine blue/yellow coloured snowboarding boots. At the time x-men/wolverine stuff was fairly popular and I was often on the receiving end of "you look like..." type comments, so it seemed like a funny idea. Picked up some matching pants and a yellow t-shirt for under the jacket as well. Then I found a matching cap on CRC! It had a centaur shooting an arrow on the front and matched in perfectly. Off to Japan I went, all yellow and blue and chuckling to myself

I flew via Hong Kong on a travel time that seemed to last for days. Airport food, airline food, cheap take away food all of which was in strong contrast to my (at the time) quite strict and healthy diet from home. Then I arrived on location the food was quality homestyle local food made by my host. So my digestive system was in chaos! I think you're starting to see where this is headed...

At the start of my second day on snow my digestive system gained the upper hand, before grabbing my first chair llift for the day I rushed to the freezing cold basement toilet at Cortina Ski field (great ski field) and unleashed a mighty cleansing work of art. It was an epic job and very untidy.

Fortunately the toilet had one of those futuristic toilet seats my friends and I like to call The Picard. It was heated, and with all my layers of snow gear on I was working a sweat. Sweat is bad news on snow so I had removed my yellow cap, sunnies, gloves, backpack, and jacket. Backpack and jacket hanging on the door, gloves sunnies and cap sitting on a handy shelf on the side wall of the tiny cubicle. The seat also featured a handy showering feature which I used liberally to clean up. Very liberally.

When I was done I stood up. Dizzy and cold I reached for my jacket...and bumped my yellow hat into the unflushed toilet! My sunnies were inside the cap. My lightening fast reflexes saw my arm dart in and out, but I was to late...the hat was quite dry. It had been kept out of the water by the immense steaming pile of muck, which now covered the hat. I was so sad as I placed that hat in the bin. When I had brought it they had a lot of colours, so that night i was back online attempting to buy a fresh yellow one and a few other colours but they were all gone.

The sunnies were safe inside the hat, a thorough was followed by a thorough was, followed by a heavy spray with disinfectant (most public Japanese toilets have a lot of this on hand) and they were back on my head. Naturally the first thing my gang said was "where's your hat?" Oh the shame.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So my build was Spank Oozy 295's 32H (27.5") on Hope Pro 4's 32H 142x12 (both red), laced with DT Swiss Comp silver spokes and pro lock nipples. Total for the wheelset came to just over $630.

I looked into the HopeTech pre-built wheels, but decided against it after seeing the internal width of the rim and hearing about troubles setting up tubeless. I was mainly considering ZTR Flow EX or Arch EX rims, but the Spank's looked just as good for a similar weight and a little cheaper.
Oooo nice, I might just copy your build but with 26ers! Thats not bad at all with the hopes included, I was thinking it maybe a lot more making me reconsider the Hopetech wheels. I came to land on the Spanks through a similar thought process as well.

You really can't beat Hope hubs, as the Poodle says, their serviceability is second to none and there are conversion kits for any combination of spacing and dropouts, so well futureproof. The Pro2's are the older model and you may have compatability issues with running 11speed group sets on them as they were around long before 11 speed was on the scene. The only thing to note with Hope hubs is that the free hub body is alloy, so you have to be careful what cassette you put on it. A cassette with lots of individual sprockets will bite into the alloy and can be a pain to get off. They best work with cassettes that use wider carriers to hold a few sprockets, over cheaper pinned cassettes that allow more movement of the individual sprockets.
At the moment I have a 9speed on the back 2 on the front - Deore LX.

Next stupid question -
Could I put a 10 speed on with the new wheels and tune my derailleurs accordingly or is there a little more to it than that?

Now we may have a different idea of aggressive riding, but if you want a set and forget type rim there may be better options. There may not be. The Oozey is certainly popular and we'll regarded.

*Snippy*
My Idea of aggressive is as fast as possible and flog my gear haha. I don't think its the best way to be, but currently my riding buddies have many yrs under their belts, so constantly playing catch up. Or maybe, its just how I'll always ride..?

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oooo nice, I might just copy your build but with 26ers! Thats not bad at all with the hopes included, I was thinking it maybe a lot more making me reconsider the Hopetech wheels. I came to land on the Spanks through a similar thought process as well.

Next stupid question -
Could I put a 10 speed on with the new wheels and tune my derailleurs accordingly or is there a little more to it than that?
No...and suddenly you might be over capitalising on nthe bike. How much do you actually like the frame? How long will you be staying in Japan? Are you having the wheels etc delivered there? If so are there any local tax/import issues to consider? Will you bring the bike back to Australia? What is the Japanese bike market like at the moment? And so on...say you decide to grab new wheels, brakes, and drive system (will use Zee as example because it is pretty cheap and reliable) that is going to be almost $1kcworth of new parts (assuming new). You will still have your current frame, suspension, crank, and so on...you may pick up a pretty reasonable used bike for that kind of cash here, if the time frame allows. A reasonable quality new hard tail isn't too much more than $1k and whatever forks and crank wil cost.

Elbo

Next stupid question -
Yep, you can put a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed free hub body, you may need a spacer behind the cassette though. The pull ratio on your rear derailleur will be different from 9 to 10spd, so you will need a new rear derailleur and shifter. 10 speed chains are also narrower than 9, so you will need new chainrings up front and a new Front Derailleur to shift between them if you're not going for a 1x setup. It can get quite pricey as you're basically looking at a whole new group set. Alternatively, you can still put a 9 speed cassette on the new wheel with a spacer and keep running what you've got. Just make sure you change the limits on your rear derailleur, so you don't send it into the spokes of your nice new wheel.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is a bit of a long one...

*snippy* Oh the shame.
Ewwwwwwwww

...should have still kept it!

No...and suddenly you might be over capitalising on nthe bike. How much do you actually like the frame? *snip*
The frame actually fits very well and until I know any different, I'm pretty happy with it! And buying parts worth more than the bike is always in the back of my head, but I justify them by telling myself if I get tired of this frame I can swap them onto a new frame OR then buy a new bike and still have this bike as a more than capable steed/or swap between the two etc. The brakes I'm replacing because the old shitty Hayes Nines are only good for commuting, the rims I'm replacing because I've buckled them. Drivetrain is fine for the moment, I was just querying how easy it would be to slap on a new cassette while having the wheels built. But after reading Elbo's post below ...thats a big clear nope!

I really need to put up a ride thread for all these stupid questions! :preggers:

Yep, you can put a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed free hub body, you may need a spacer behind the cassette though. The pull ratio on your rear derailleur will be different from 9 to 10spd, so you will need a new rear derailleur and shifter. 10 speed chains are also narrower than 9, so you will need new chainrings up front and a new Front Derailleur to shift between them if you're not going for a 1x setup. It can get quite pricey as you're basically looking at a whole new group set. Alternatively, you can still put a 9 speed cassette on the new wheel with a spacer and keep running what you've got. Just make sure you change the limits on your rear derailleur, so you don't send it into the spokes of your nice new wheel.
Ok... I think I'll leave it as is for the moment! haha

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I justify them by telling myself if I get tired of this frame I can swap them onto a new frame...
Also keep on mind the future usefulness of your new parts, especially the wheels. 26 is not so common anymore. Neither is quick release. What is the frame you're on?

The hat was shit, it could not be saved.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also keep on mind the future usefulness of your new parts, especially the wheels. 26 is not so common anymore. Neither is quick release. What is the frame you're on?

The hat was shit, it could not be saved.
Thats true re the wheels. I'm planning on upgrading to thru axles with the new wheels.

Frame is an '09 Cannonade F5
http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=17406

Put the seat right down and it turns into a DJ!

Only the frame is Cannondale, the rest is made up of used parts from riding buddies.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
How is it possible to think you're literally perfect but also have crippling self esteem issues?

Asking for a friend.
Also a ginger? Because that is usually a contributing issue.

Also a chick? Because media stereotypes and backstabbing bitches, that's why....

Or is it old mate frome your tinder? Obviously a wallflower, they always tend to have lower self esteem.

#knucklesisachunt

Switch

huskier headed gent
Just discovered that that the hose on my Reverb dropper post is fouling on my quick release seatpost collar so looking for a new bolt up collar with a lower profile.
Now for what may be a stupid question Cheapo ebay collar or overpriced Hope etc. is there really that big of a difference in performance for ten times the price?