aldi tool kits

safreek

hi guys, sems a lot of you like the aldi bike stands so was wondering if the same goes for their tool kits. Wll it take out most bottom brackets and have the tool to take off a cassette. cheers

moorey

call me Mia
Haven't looked at them....but they're not tools I'd skimp on. I can't afford Park, but won't buy junk either. I've got the bike stand, 2 actually. It will 'hold' a bike, but not firmly. It's fine for the price, but flexy, and mine cracked pretty quickly.

safreek

Haven't looked at them....but they're not tools I'd skimp on. I can't afford Park, but won't buy junk either. I've got the bike stand, 2 actually. It will 'hold' a bike, but not firmly. It's fine for the price, but flexy, and mine cracked pretty quickly.
thanks for the quick answer, thought it may have been a waste of money, had been a bit sus on the bike holders as well. Don't suppose you could give me an idea where I would get a useful set that wont cost me the earth

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Mine won't hold the front wheel off the ground on a 10kg epic, it must have crumpled with your 19kg orange

moorey

call me Mia
thanks for the quick answer, thought it may have been a waste of money, had been a bit sus on the bike holders as well. Don't suppose you could give me an idea where I would get a useful set that wont cost me the earth
I've collected bits and pieces over 20+ years, never bought a kit, so I'm not much help. They're probably OK for light use. For that price, I may buy one to leave in the ute for emergencies.
Crc often have kits on special.

stirk

Burner
The bike stand is fine for $40.
The best stuff from aldi is their shorts, the liners are shit but the shorts themselves are great value, might even pick up another pair later.

I'm not sure about their tool kit, as moorey said it's not stuff to skimp on. I'm sure it will all work for the occasional use but it's when you have stubborn components that tools made from quality metal and with more precise tolerances make the difference between fucking up the parts or getting them undone.

moorey

call me Mia
Mine won't hold the front wheel off the ground on a 10kg epic, it must have crumpled with your 19kg orange
I guess you've never heard of balancing the weight. In my experience, people with a 10kg duallies don't touch their bikes themselves, and don't know a fork from a stem, so I'm not surprised you're struggling.

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Tool kit is poo.

Got on last time and it's pretty rubbish. Both in quality and the tools included.

Might be OK to as a kit in the car for emergency is but not primary.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I guess you've never heard of balancing the weight. In my experience, people with a 10kg duallies don't touch their bikes themselves, and don't know a fork from a stem, so I'm not surprised you're struggling.
BOOM!! 10 char

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
In my experience, cheap tools can do more harm than good, often rounding bolts etc. There's some good middle ground between Aldi and Park tools. Buy the stuff as you need it and before long you'll have a kit.

My Aldi stand is good for holding the bike up, until you need to exert any pressure, then I put the bike back on the ground to tighten / undo. It does the job for a cheap solution but is a faff.

Personally, I wouldn't touch cheap tools, rather use a tool library for the bits I'm missing.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
if you want an mtb bike stand that actually works for $50 letour cycles in ringwood....
http://www.letour.com.au/home-mechanic-repair-bike-bicycle-stand-with-work~11553
have been using mine for 4+ years..... holds a 14kg+ dually up with no issues, use mine for everything from maintenance to bike washing (doesnt rust).
its a lot better made than the aldi one (robust fittings, heavier gauge tubing, its sturdy...and youre buying from an actual bike shop..... not a grocery store :D

cycling deal has some ok basic tools at the entry level that are worth looking at as well...have one of the basic kits, bb tool, chainbreaker etc and theyre all fine and fit for purpose....
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/shop/accessories/tools/1302

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
if you want an mtb bike stand that actually works for $50 letour cycles in ringwood....
http://www.letour.com.au/home-mechanic-repair-bike-bicycle-stand-with-work~11553
have been using mine for 4+ years..... holds a 14kg+ dually up with no issues, use mine for everything from maintenance to bike washing (doesnt rust).
its a lot better made than the aldi one (robust fittings, heavier gauge tubing, its sturdy...and youre buying from an actual bike shop..... not a grocery store :D
That rack is absolutely identical to my aldi rack.

I found the same issues as others with the rack. Unless you get the balance perfect it'll move. That's with either the dually or the hardtail.

Some in the past have drilled holes and put bolts through the fittings to stop the twisting, that'll be my next move when I get motivated.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
That rack is absolutely identical to my aldi rack.

I found the same issues as others with the rack. Unless you get the balance perfect it'll move. That's with either the dually or the hardtail.

Some in the past have drilled holes and put bolts through the fittings to stop the twisting, that'll be my next move when I get motivated.
well i havent had to mod mine or do anything to it apart from tighten the hex bolts up over 4 years ago when i first got it... :p in fact i cant fault it...

i use it all the time for washing the bike, mechanical stuff in the garage, tuning and even as a stand just storing the bike in between rides. this thing has literally hundreds of hours of use on it...
the aldi one is like 2/3 the weight of the letour (mine weighs about 7kg+) and rickety as all fuck and not as functional from what ive seen...i really dont think theyre the same thing...they look the same but thats what aldi is good at selling knockoffs of stuff that look the same as better gear.

notice how the aldi one doesnt even picture an mtb with a front wheel mounted anymore...it cant actually hold the weight of it without leaning / pivoting forward and down. i dont have this issue... :p

WK38_PD_388x314_56a.jpg

No...its $15 dearer.
well that $15 was worth it ...the thing actually does what its supposed to :D

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
The tool kit is to suit pre 2000 model bikes mainly. About the only good tools in it are the cassette strap and the rear cassette socket tool, the rest might get you out of trouble once or twice but they are pure shit. There is no external threaded BB tool either, as the other Burners said best off buying good quality tools as you need them and eventually form your own kit.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
well i havent had to mod mine or do anything to it apart from tighten the hex bolts up over 4 years ago when i first got it... :p in fact i cant fault it...

i use it all the time for washing the bike, mechanical stuff in the garage, tuning and even as a stand just storing the bike in between rides. this thing has literally hundreds of hours of use on it...
the aldi one is like 2/3 the weight of the letour (mine weighs about 7kg+) and rickety as all fuck and not as functional from what ive seen...i really dont think theyre the same thing...they look the same but thats what aldi is good at selling knockoffs off stuff that look the same as better gear.
No, same one. Some people have had years of hassle free love out of Aldi ones...just like I'll wager some have issues with Letour ones.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
No, same one. Some people have had years of hassle free love out of Aldi ones...just like I'll wager some have issues with Letour ones.
dont think so. you can see the steel tubing used is different for example

WK38_PD_388x314_56a.jpg

mate has aldi one and its different...fittings are different steel is different.

Attachments

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Meh, my Aldi stand works fine. Was worth every one of the 3400 pennies it set me back.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
The one in your link is identical in every way to my 2 Aldi ones.
i can see that the current aldi one has some wall mounting feature, alloy coloured cross bar instead of black, different clamp handle, plus a different usable height ....but sure theyre the same :D

Last edited: