All Mountain Tyres

golden path

Banned
Been running a 27.5X2.3 Maxxis Shorty up front - 3C EXO TR. Works well on any loose surface, wet or dry. Funnily enough, since I put my wintery tyre combo on, it's been dry as a chip.

Bachewy chomp.

dunndog

Eats Squid
^^ The only tyre in maxxis' range that interests me that i haven't given a run yet. you approve then? What's it compare best to?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
^^ The only tyre in maxxis' range that interests me that i haven't given a run yet. you approve then? What's it compare best to?
Shorty is an awesome tyre in the right conditions and a terrible tyre in the wrong ones.

Anything loose, loamy, slippery, wet, it excels in, best breaking tyre I have used, does really well the steepest of loose stuff. It's great at places like Buller, Macedon, when Baw Baw is wet, pretty decent at Iride (always rains when I go).

Its terrible in hardpack, as in real terrible, places like Youies and Kinglake it feels like a liability, those tall squirmy side knobs really hate hardpack, even fast hardpack berms due to its tall nature, it drifts up them and not in a fun way.

Its better than both the DHF and magic mary in the right conditions, but those two tyres are better all round. If i am going away for a weekend of shuttles with shortys on the bike, I'll also have some marys, DHF/DHR's in the car.

golden path

Banned
Yeah I don't mind it. Today as with most days was a mixture of everything - I rode from home to the dirt, so bitumen, then dirt road then singletrack with the full range of surfaces.

You can feel it rumbling on the front as the deep, square knobs growl on the smooth stuff - think High Roller II.

I ride Bendigo / Spring Gully trails with loose powder, kitty litter, loose rocks and of course concrete smooth baked clay.

The only places I could feel the big edging knobs moving was on hard baked clay corners - just a little flex, TBH, - and on longtitudinal ruts where the edging knobs are more inclined to fall down into ruts.

I think it's really sensitive to pressure, with regard to the support the carcass gives those side knobs.

I felt pretty confident on it today just about everywhere. I'm happy stuffing it over in loose corners, no probs.

I got it to go with a rear Forekaster 2.35, because it got wet and messy real quick. Now it's as dry as summer again!

Bike is a 27.5 Bumjumper, and I'm close to 100kg in my gear. No idea re the actual pressure, I never both with a gauge. :faint2:

PEMBS

Squid
On a new Santa Cruz Bronson build, I went 'nduro bro' and went with a Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar Snakeskin front and a Rock Razor 2.35 Trailstar Super Gravity rear. I had a snakeskin on the rear in a harder compound but a poorly judged landing resulted in a sidewall tear that wasn't saveable. The extra weight in the new rear casing is noticeable, but the softer compound makes up for that when things start getting rough.

Big fan of the semi-slick setup; I would highly recommend going with the softer compound for those interested. I'm also interested to see what the new Addix series of compounds from Schwalbe bring to the table in terms of performance and durability

Z

Zaf

Shorty is an awesome tyre in the right conditions and a terrible tyre in the wrong ones.

Anything loose, loamy, slippery, wet, it excels in, best breaking tyre I have used, does really well the steepest of loose stuff. It's great at places like Buller, Macedon, when Baw Baw is wet, pretty decent at Iride (always rains when I go).

Its terrible in hardpack, as in real terrible, places like Youies and Kinglake it feels like a liability, those tall squirmy side knobs really hate hardpack, even fast hardpack berms due to its tall nature, it drifts up them and not in a fun way.

Its better than both the DHF and magic mary in the right conditions, but those two tyres are better all round. If i am going away for a weekend of shuttles with shortys on the bike, I'll also have some marys, DHF/DHR's in the car.
I had a completely different experience with the Shorty on dry hardpack to loose over hardpack when I used it. I found it on par with a Magic Mary in almost every respect. The shoulder knobs, although slightly taller than the Minion series, have a rubber gusset on them that kept them from squirming under hard cornering.

But for almost every condition the Minion is just better... So use those instead!

BT180

Max Pfaff
I was running it on the front. Def no worries there, only a 2.3 on the rear.
Ah, OK. Was thinking of the 2.5 WT on the front and the 2.4 WT on the rear. Not concerned with the front, except I may need to tighten up my mud-guard, but the rear clearance looks a lot less. Pretty sure the Flow guys had the 2.4 on the rear of their Strive, although they had 30 or 35mm ID rims.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Ah, OK. Was thinking of the 2.5 WT on the front and the 2.4 WT on the rear. Not concerned with the front, except I may need to tighten up my mud-guard, but the rear clearance looks a lot less. Pretty sure the Flow guys had the 2.4 on the rear of their Strive, although they had 30 or 35mm ID rims.
My son has a 2.3 on the rear of his Strive, on I think a 30mm rim, with room to spare. You should be fine.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Been running tubeless Ardent 2.4 in 26 on my 823 rims... big hole right along ust bead on weekend even running about 32 psi.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good tough tyre that's available in 26" for enduro/dh/allmtn type riding for a guy about 90kgs on a old Nomad?

I seem to either get holes in tread too big to seal up or right along the bead. Have never torn a sidewall in my life!

Tyre options are startimg to get limited.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been running tubeless Ardent 2.4 in 26 on my 823 rims... big hole right along ust bead on weekend even running about 32 psi.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good tough tyre that's available in 26" for enduro/dh/allmtn type riding for a guy about 90kgs on a old Nomad?

I seem to either get holes in tread too big to seal up or right along the bead. Have never torn a sidewall in my life!

Try a Continental Trail King/Rubber Queen in the UST or Apex Protection version. They are a big tyre.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt

If you don't mind the extra weight, maybe try maxxis double down or schwalbe super gravity casings. I run a super gravity on the rear and haven't had any issues with it on a hardtail in pretty rocky areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I don't mind additional weight... but wanting to run tubeless preferably.

Lack of availability on 26" though.... oh well

Maybe something like Huck Norris in the Ardent qould have prevented...

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
The pinch or 'snakebite' hole right next to the bead on the ardent was a good sixetand I've done the dame with Hans Dampf and HR2s.... even running in the 30s for PSI

Tyre was completely deflated within seconds... not sure any sealant would have sufficed