Little Things You Hate

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
LTIFH… crashing and really injuring yourself when you pull off to the side to let some guys pass. All I had to do, was resist the passing pressure for a bit, and wait another 10 metres, till we rounded a corner and got onto a wide bit of trail. But I didn’t, and instead I pulled left on a cambered bit, lost the front and came down very hard, taking out the first passing guy too. He apologised. We got back on and rode off. Weird thing was they were barely faster than me in the rest of the climb. Anyway, after a while I realised my right thumb was killing me, and changing gears became a huge struggle. Got home did RICE and it was just getting worse. So, sat in emergency for three hours and the xray showed no breaks, but it is so inflamed and painful the docs said it may have issues they can't see. It is literally twice the size of my other thumb. Anyway, I’m super fucked off with it. Can’t play guitar, can’t play drums, can’t open a fucking door, can’t imagine riding tomorrow. Anyway, I’m not saying it is their fault, but next time, fuck it, they can wait a little bit fucking longer… it’s not a fucking race.
That really sucks dude. Good luck with the ice. Hopefully you'll be able to grip things and shake with vigour again soon.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
LTIFH… crashing and really injuring yourself when you pull off to the side to let some guys pass. All I had to do, was resist the passing pressure for a bit, and wait another 10 metres, till we rounded a corner and got onto a wide bit of trail. But I didn’t, and instead I pulled left on a cambered bit, lost the front and came down very hard, taking out the first passing guy too. He apologised. We got back on and rode off. Weird thing was they were barely faster than me in the rest of the climb. Anyway, after a while I realised my right thumb was killing me, and changing gears became a huge struggle. Got home did RICE and it was just getting worse. So, sat in emergency for three hours and the xray showed no breaks, but it is so inflamed and painful the docs said it may have issues they can't see. It is literally twice the size of my other thumb. Anyway, I’m super fucked off with it. Can’t play guitar, can’t play drums, can’t open a fucking door, can’t imagine riding tomorrow. Anyway, I’m not saying it is their fault, but next time, fuck it, they can wait a little bit fucking longer… it’s not a fucking race.

Bugger. Three hours wait at William Anglis hospital?
Is the bike ok?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Lazmo , bugger nasty injury prolly skiers thumb.
usually tear of ligament on inside of thumb ie medial side
takes 3-12 months can be repaired if u r privately insured ?
I spose you are right handed ?

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lazmo , bugger nasty injury prolly skiers thumb.
usually tear of ligament on inside of thumb ie medial side
takes 3-12 months can be repaired if u r privately insured ?
I spose you are right handed ?
Mate, I was about to suggest the same thing. I did this about 2 yrs ago. I was convinced I'd broken it but it was a complete tear of the Ulnar Collateral Ligament with avulsion.

Made my thumb useless, which for a saxophonist and bass player was really not good news. Needed acute treatment so definitely get it seen to. Don't want to give you the fear but certainly don't wait about.

In the time between the injury and surgery I kept riding as apparently I couldn't make it any worse!
8 weeks in a thermoplastic splint post surgery plus 6-8 weeks of physiotherapy saw it right. It doesn't look the same but I can still play just as well. And there's no guard or protection you can get for it. It was about 6 months until I could ride again.

If it happens again you get progressively less real estate for the surgeon to work with.

Good luck!

slowmick

38-39"
that's really shit Lazmo - it was only yesterday i was wondering how your new Tama and the reformed band were doing. Am really hoping that you haven't done any serious damage like those mentioned above.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I stand corrected. There is one in the thumb as well.
All good fella. I had to find out the hard and painful way where and what it is.
Try doing up shoe laces / zips / writing / typing / washing.... without your thumb.

Hoping the OP on this doesn't have to go through the same.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Lazmo you might find that you can use the index finger against the next finger ie 3rd digit eg turning car key .
you may get really good with your left hand eg opening round door handles or taps.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Confusion and doubt certainly, but I'm not sure there is enough pure hatred for it to count. If it makes you feel better, I had ricebubbles, a fun size picnic and a cup of tea. All done in under 5mins.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Lazmo , bugger nasty injury prolly skiers thumb. usually tear of ligament on inside of thumb ie medial side
Rowdy and Dudes… thanks for the support… anyway, it looks like I dodged a bullet. On Saturday, my thumb was insanely swollen and sore, and I couldn’t do anything at all… so I RICE’d the crap out it, along with Fisiocrem and anti-inflammatories. By Sunday afternoon, after a two hour hilly Olinda walk, running the dogs, I noticed the swelling had gone down quite a lot and I’d got a much better range of painfree motion, compared to almost no movement on the Saturday. If it is a tear, it’s a minor one, as the pain has abated considerably, and even though it still hurts to do things, it is nothing like it was. It is weird how swollen it was, it was like a balloon, and I was expecting it to bruise to a nice shade of purple, but it has shrunk to look just like a normal thumb. Anyway, I’m not out of the woods yet, as it still hurts, but the prognosis is continually improving with time.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
that's really shit Lazmo - it was only yesterday i was wondering how your new Tama and the reformed band were doing. Am really hoping that you haven't done any serious damage like those mentioned above.
Thanks Mick, as above, I think it is going to be OK… fingers crossed. The Tama’s are ace. I re-cut the toms bearing edges and they sing with single ply heads now, sound great and the kit is completely gig ready. The guitar, bass, drums part of the band is sweet, but we are not going with our original singer (for various reasons) so we’ve got a few options, but our immediate vocal hopeful is a young 35 y/o who I did some other stuff with previously. I hope he works out as his other band has a loyal down town youngies following and that wouldn’t hurt. There's no rush, we're hoping to gig in late Spring, through Summer, if it happens at all.

Last edited: