That gay marriage thing........

Beej1

A resident in my neighborhood Recieved this after putting up rainbow bunting, then had the bunting destroyed a couple of nights later.
That's both horrendous yet unsurprising. By that I mean ... hateful people like this have existed forever. Passionate topics like this seem to nudge them further towards making their hateful thoughts more vocal.

I've seen some pretty hateful stuff written towards the no side, but ... it always seems less violent and less "I'll follow you home" in nature.

The grammar could be explained by this:
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...ability-link-hilda-survey/8984744?pfmredir=sm

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Saw an article today with a few quotes from Peter Sutton- a guy who has said he is against gay marriage but will vote with what the plebiscite/postal survey says, 1, that it's going to be a vote for change and added the following.

"The other aspect I might say about the postal vote is that I think it gives a greater legitimacy to a significant social change and I think for same-sex couples if there is to be change, if there is to be legislative change, I think that is best to be done with the support of millions of Australians demonstrated through a ballot as opposed to a five-to-midnight crossing of the floor of four people," he said

Now you might not be dragging Abbott and Abetz into this century but it sort of looks like you can drag Peter Sutton into it.....

;)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Saw an article today with a few quotes from Peter Sutton- a guy who has said he is against gay marriage but will vote with what the plebiscite/postal survey says, 1, that it's going to be a vote for change and added the following.

"The other aspect I might say about the postal vote is that I think it gives a greater legitimacy to a significant social change and I think for same-sex couples if there is to be change, if there is to be legislative change, I think that is best to be done with the support of millions of Australians demonstrated through a ballot as opposed to a five-to-midnight crossing of the floor of four people," he said

sort of looks like you can drag Peter Sutton into it.....

;)
.....or it's a weak ploy to keep both sides of the "debate", in his electorate, placated.

Yet that method gave legitimacy to legislation against same sex marriage?

The hypocrisy is really starting to make my eyes bleed.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
glad thats over. look at the ABS reveling in their moment! sedate afternoon tea to celebrate!

38% no vote is lower than I expected tbh.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
sure, plenty of bickering and politics to play out - but worth taking the fact that the public responded in this way as a positive for now.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
wtf is going on in Blaxland? 26% yes - a real outlier. consistent response rate too, so it was no fluke? Anyone in NSW can shed light. I have no idea where blaxland is.

Mica

Likes Dirt
There’s a few from NSW that sit at the bottom of the list. Wonder if it’s a demographic with immigrants and associated religious beliefs?

I’m just happy it’s not QLD Queensland leading the charge. We’re not the full bogans everyone thinks we are (I can say this for a week until One Nation has the balance of power).

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If only that were true... Expect it to get really nasty now.
Yep, watch those (like Abbott) who are anti-democratic now, without a care for what the majority want, obstruct the will of the people to fight for their personal interests rather than that of the electorate.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The resounding Yes result only means two things to me:
1) People who bothered to vote do actually care about their fellow humans and wish to aim towards a peaceful equal world. Fucking bang on Australia! Thats rad!
2) The political side of things means we can now make a play to get a plebiscite and a mail out happening so mountain bikers can vote Yes for more gravity Mountain Bike Parks with chairlifts in Australia or No to being massively boring fuckheads with super dooper limited vision. This is the real issue here folks. ;)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yep, watch those (like Abbott) who are anti-democratic now, without a care for what the majority want, obstruct the will of the people to fight for their personal interests rather than that of the electorate.
From Abbott:

I always said this was an issue where the Australian people wanted their say and today’s result demonstrates that seeking their views was the right thing to do.

I congratulate the “yes” campaign on their achievement. The people have spoken and, of course, the Parliament should respect the result.

I also thank the 4.7 million Australians who supported marriage between a man and a woman. Both the Prime Minister and the Opposition Leader have pledged their support for freedom of religion.

I look forward to a parliamentary process that improves on the Dean Smith bill to implement same sex marriage with freedom of conscience for all, not just the churches.

So far, this process has been a credit to us as a nation and now needs to be completed in a way that keeps us the best country in the world.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Every seat that voted no in NSW is inner or outer West Sydney. Immigrants! Some of those are safe Labor seats too, especially Blaxland. So does Jason Clare vote yes or No?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Every seat that voted no in NSW is inner or outer West Sydney. Immigrants! Some of those are safe Labor seats too, especially Blaxland. So does Jason Clare vote yes or No?
That is a really tough question. The heavy no seats in NSW are where there are a lot of Muslims who one may assume voted on their religious beliefs. By our setup he has to represent their views and vote against.

It's the other side of the coin from the Abbott situation. Clare can say "I have to do the will of the electorate" and vote against. Or he can say "I have to support democracy and the majority is for so I cannot vote against but I will not vote for, as per the will of the electorate".

Can you abstain from voting in Parliament?