Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks like Trump is trying to sneaky peek under the water and see who has the bigger rocket. Both appear to have arse'n'all covered well.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Um - the environment & climate change are not. Not the amount of attention they deserve.

Which should be front page each & every day.
That then becomes an opinion based issue around what is “deserved”. I only argue that it is not being ignored, i regularly come across mention about what Pruitt is doing and the regs that are being reversed, including the Paris agreement.

Secondly, if you’re concerned about the survival of the planet I’d suggest that the nuclear issue should be your prime concern. It is far more immediate than climate change.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
But our nuclear future is entirely controllable.

I'll continue to push this point - there is nothing more important to humanity right now than climate change. It affects *everything*, including being a possible cause of (for) (nuclear) war.

If you'd done a decent amount of research into climate change, you'd know we are on the precipice of not being able to be anything about it...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I agree future generations will curse our inactivity on climate change.
Places like Bangladesh ,low lying Indian + Pacific Ocean Islands will trigger refugees , hot crowded places like Indian + Chinese cities will be polluted chaos, war will be fought over water rights.
Forget about nature.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
But our nuclear future is entirely controllable.

I'll continue to push this point - there is nothing more important to humanity right now than climate change. It affects *everything*, including being a possible cause of (for) (nuclear) war.

If you'd done a decent amount of research into climate change, you'd know we are on the precipice of not being able to be anything about it...
Sure, but if there is global nuclear war in the next 5 years the effects of climate change are irrelevant.

The causes for nuclear war exist right now, it doesn’t need the catastrophe of climate change to emerge.

I’m not disagreeing with you on the importance of climate change, not a single bit. I’m just arguing that the threat of nuclear conflict is more immediate because it can destroy everything far, far quicker than climate change can.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Agree - but I wish we'd all discuss climate change more openly.

The problem is that making significant movement towards solving climate change goes directly against how we like to live our lives. The only way we can possibly keep global temps below the arbitrary 1.5 degree number is immediate rationing & elimination of unnecessary emittence. Good luck convincing voters in wealthy countries that's a tops idea.

We don't have a magic wand (i.e. carbon sequestration) up our sleeves yet the long(er) term calculations show it's utterly necessary. The scale of sequestration required is unfathomable.

Fucking scary place we are heading...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Global warming is fake news and we all know it. These moderate variances in the earth's temperatures are just natural occurrences caused by the earth itself. Even if it isn't fake news, why should we in long term wealthy and developed nations give up convenience, luxury, and affordability when those evolving economies are still polluting? It's not our place to go with out just for them. Lastly all these mythological greenhouse gases can be sucked out into the vacuum of space. We just need to open up a hole in the ozone layer and get a big pipe through to begin the syphon. It won't take long to clear out the air ways.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
We wealthy countries only got wealthy by polluting in the first place!

I get fkn mad when we try to make this a developing countries issue...

And when you look at that chart you have to say yeah...gee...we've got this problem licked.

Addicted to our destruction we are.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck I hate graphs like that...

You need to embrace the progress. The inspirationAl Tony Abbott was right, global warming is doing good things for people.

Flow-Rider

Burner
We wealthy countries only got wealthy by polluting in the first place!

I get fkn mad when we try to make this a developing countries issue...

And when you look at that chart you have to say yeah...gee...we've got this problem licked.

Addicted to our destruction we are.
You're starting to sound like Haakon, hates diesel cars then gloats about getting on a jumbo jet.:rolleyes:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
One of my neighbours has enough solar panels to get the whole block off the grid. It's a very impressive collection. He even has one of those fact powered Toyotas

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Your neighbour ain't going to change shit.
He should give up...

...around here he was probably more excited about cutting his electricity bills. We look across the harbour and on the horizon is our wonderful monument to economic prosperity...the coal loaders.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Largest coal port in the world! Straya - we're gunna lick this.
Maaaayyyyyyytttte...we'd love to see less coal, as long as it doesn't cost us jobs or lower our standard of living. It's also important that it doesn't effect our economy. Taxes, royalties, revenues, income, cash flow, bottom lines, return on investment and...we're really fucked. Santa is going to put Co right uo our stockingskbe year soon.